The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine with Psychology degree??

I didn't get the A Level grades to meet my offer for medicine so now I am a first year biomed student and I'm hoping to get into graduate medicine. However, I've realised that I'm not really enjoying biomed that much because it's medicine that I really want to be doing because biomed is more training people to be lab-based scientists which isn't what I want to do, so I've been thinking that I would prefer to spend 3 years studying psychology rather than biomed. So what I really want to know is what are the chances of getting into GEM with a BSc in psych? Or should I just stick it out with biomed for 3 years?
Thanks!!
Original post by Gwenog_quidditch
I didn't get the A Level grades to meet my offer for medicine so now I am a first year biomed student and I'm hoping to get into graduate medicine. However, I've realised that I'm not really enjoying biomed that much because it's medicine that I really want to be doing because biomed is more training people to be lab-based scientists which isn't what I want to do, so I've been thinking that I would prefer to spend 3 years studying psychology rather than biomed. So what I really want to know is what are the chances of getting into GEM with a BSc in psych? Or should I just stick it out with biomed for 3 years?
Thanks!!

Is it just the lab work or is it the content of a biomed degree that you dont like?

Here is a link to lots of info (including what medicals schools offer GEM and what subjects that accept) https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

Doing biomed would leave more medical schools open to you and make some of the course easier from what I understand as similar content is covered in medicine theory wise to biomed
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by madmadmax321
Is it just the lab work or is it the content of a biomed degree that you dont like?

Here is a link to lots of info (including what medicals schools offer GEM and what subjects that accept) https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

Doing biomed would leave more medical schools open to you and make some of the course easier from what I understand as similar content is covered in medicine theory wise to biomed

Thank you so much for the link - very useful!
Yeah that's true, the work in biomed would be much more relevant and I can imagine that Medicine would be much more difficult without a biosci degree!
Yeah I dread the weekly practicals tbh haha... they're completely irrelevant to medicine and mostly quite chemistry-related! Also we have to do biochemistry and plant modules this year which are awful... Psychiatry is what I want to do right now anyway so I feel that psychology would be much more fascinating!

Latest

Trending

Trending