The Student Room Group

Do you think weed should be legalized in the UK? Why/Why not?

Scroll to see replies

It should only be legal to smoke it in your own house. Our air already smells thanks to tobacco and pollution from cars. Weed would make it smell worse.
>Weed can kill you
Yes of course anything can "kill you", but that's not a strong argument for why it should be legalized/decriminalized... Heck, dropping from a height with a noose around your neck would kill you, but I don't see anyone trying to ban rope.

>it would be another nail in the coffin of our wonderful country.
No, the funding of gangs and other criminal organizations through the sale of weed would be another nail in the coffin in your wonderful country. Also, regulation means you can control the sale to minors, and reduce the burden on the justice system of putting dealers in prison. Why wouldn't you tax weed and spend it on some other purpose like the NHS?

>weed smells
Cigarettes smell, and there should obviously also be designated smoking areas just like cigarettes
Yes. If I am using it in a way that has no impact on others who don't consent to it, then I should have every right to use it and the police should not be able to stop me. It's just ridiculous that I could get into legal trouble for growing a few plants for my own use, or using it in the privacy of my own home.

The current drug laws are based on mindless authoritarianism.
No. The smell makes me feel violently ill. After asking my flat"mate" not to smoke it outside the house and him persisting I had to inform the landlord and then he got evicted. I do to want to throw up cos the smell of weed is making me sick at all hours. If you own your own house do it there but please be repsectful to the others around you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by yudothis
I agree.

You need to stop inferring. I never said I am against the legalization of weed. I just pointed out that weed can kill. Like everything really.

But weed can't kill. That's the point. Doing something whilst high that kills you isn't the weed killing you. If you're high and drive and get into an accident it wasn't the weed that killed you it was the accident. Alcohol on the other hand can destroy your liver. That's the alcohol itself killing you yet it's completely legal.
Original post by EmmaRebecca1997
But weed can't kill. That's the point. Doing something whilst high that kills you isn't the weed killing you. If you're high and drive and get into an accident it wasn't the weed that killed you it was the accident. Alcohol on the other hand can destroy your liver. That's the alcohol itself killing you yet it's completely legal.

ITs a somewhat narrow definition to just consider overdoses though. And long term effects aren't truly known yet.
ITs a somewhat narrow definition to just consider overdoses though. And long term effects aren't truly known yet.

Weed does have its long term affects when abused I have personal experience with family members on that one. But so does alcohol. Alcohol has far more long term effects than weed. The main reason weed is illegal is because it has a lot of uses that would make a lot of current medicines and products such as paper obsolete. That's why it's illegal. Like anything weed isn't good if abused, but it has a lot of benefits, and whilst alcohol is legal there is no ground to keep weed illegal on other than the fact it would make certain industries lose money.
(edited 6 years ago)
Weed does have its long term affects when abused I have personal experience with family members on that one. But so does alcohol. Alcohol has far more long term effects than weed. The main reason weed is illegal is because it has a lot of uses that would make a lot of current medicines and products such as paper obsolete. That's why it's illegal. Like anything weed isn't good if abused, but it has a lot of benefits, and whilst alcohol is legal there is no ground to keep weed illegal on other than the fact it would make certain industries lose money.

Again, I am not against weed. I have no idea why you keep bringing that up. This is about any possible danger.
Yes.
It will stop the police wasting their time busting dumbass teenagers, and the government could earn a sh*t-ton of money taxing it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29
You cant overdose on weed, well you can but no one can smoke 1500 pounds at once so you cant really overdose on it. For me personally, I haven't experienced any paranoia or anxiety and I've been consuming for nearly everyday for the past 3-4 years. It doesn't really cause any bad effects depending on how you smoke it, if you smoke it with tobacco then of course you'll get the effects of smoking tobacco depending on how much you use it and how much you smoke it, my lung capacity has increased from smoking it by bongs and playing games (say Mind Of A Stoner= 4, 2 ,1 6, where you take the amount of tokes for the amount of letters in the word then pass it on and not letting your smoke out until you cant hold it or finish the game) which trains you to hold your breath for a longer period of time.

It can help you concentrate, to sleep if you having difficulties and medical benefits as well. With it being legalized you can get rid of the dealers who spray and lace it with other things which can include cocaine and heroin which are of course Class A drugs which are terribly much more worse then weed, with it legalized you can get rid of all of the bad strains and get higher quality and cleaner buds.

This will also reduce the amount of crime as there will be les dealers about to sell illegally and that people who are carrying it wont get arrested, it will stop the police wasting time on weed related crimes as really is not a public disturbance or causing any trouble to people. It will obviously boost the economy too as it will attract more people to come to the UK, most probably London it will be so the economy will be much better. Since it would be legal you can treat people with it instead of the other ways of treatment which will cost more and could put the patients in more pain with the regular treatments,

For the people who do suffer from paranoia, addiction, anxiety, you could can help them by putting them in treatment to actually get them the help they need, instead of prosecuting them for smoking it, as I said above it will stop police wasting time stopping teenagers on the street for smoking it and could build better relations with the youth and police as they wont be stopping them for no reason at all apart from the fact they think they might have something on them.

Of course people say smoking can make you dopey, well you can have laws like; you cant be high in work, driving while high is illegal to stop it having effects on these type of situations. With laws like these there wont be any dangerous drivers (obviously ones who have smoked it and who are currently driving) or people who are to stoned to work.

It can help your creativity and imagination flourish when you smoke it as you feel. think and act different (of course your whole character and personality doesn't change completely but it brings out more of the real you as it can make people more confident).

For people who haven't smoked it you can't comment on the effects of weed as you don't know first hand what they are or how you'll re-act to it. The effects for me is; feeling more relaxed, feeling happier if I'm down, makes social situations more funnier and more bearable to be in as it makes you more social able, as stated above again it can help you sleep better. If you wouldn't want to smoke it all the time you could just smoke it at night to make you feel good before you go to sleep and wake up refreshed in the morning, in school it helps me to focus more and block out all of the distractions that are around me so I get more work done in school( I know I said about it not being allowed in the work place but I find it helps me work better in a work type environment)

There's also no recorded deaths from in taking weed as you cant overdose the amount you'd have to take is way to much for anyone to smoke at once. if you compare it to alcohol which make people aggressive, sick and a trouble for people, it also causes a lot of death and liver problems where as weed doesn't cause any of this, you'd just chill out and eat a pizza and have fun.

Of course there's one problem which is price, in this time, £10 will get you 1g and depending on how you smoke it can get you between 1-3 spiff's, zoots, joint whatever you wanna call it. Of course £20 will get you 2 grams and so on. If you limit yourself £10 can last you 1-3 days.

Ill throw in some terms that people actually use and not ones that are rarely used; £10 worth can be called; Benz, Tenz or Draw. £20 worth is; 8ball or 8th or draw again depending on where you from, £60 worth; Q, Quart or quarter which is 7g's of weed. £110 worth; A half which is 14g's of weed and about £220 worth is; Ounce or a Z which is around 28g's.. then there's Kilos, 9 bars which are just so expensive.

My bad about this long ass post I didn't plan or writing this much lmao, well there's my opinion on it. It should be legalized its just a plant.
Of course it can. Almost anything can kill you if you take too much of it. Even water.

Yep, far easier to die from too much water than weed though.
Again, I am not against weed. I have no idea why you keep bringing that up. This is about any possible danger.

And I'm not saying you are against weed. I'm pointing out that alcohol is far more dangerous than weed and is legal. So talking about the danger for grounds of legality doesn't have weight whilst alcohol is legal
I reckon if you legalised it with an age restriction, from legit sources, in private properties it would be fine. It's no worse than alcohol for health or risk to the public and can be beneficial to health even.
You don't have the nasty smell or kids seeing it on the street, but people are free to use their non-dangerous recreational/ therapeutic substance.
Also means police time isn't wasted with it.
Plus get medical (no THC) versions more available so kids can get the medical benefit and adults have easier access.
Can't remember where I read it now, but apparently in one area legalising weed reduced painkiller deaths substantially. Far harder to OD on weed than most OTC or prescription painkillers so getting that more available could be a literal lifesaver.
(CBD oil is already legal and has been prescribed at least once on the NHS so we're not too far off with that)
(edited 6 years ago)
And I'm not saying you are against weed. I'm pointing out that alcohol is far more dangerous than weed and is legal. So talking about the danger for grounds of legality doesn't have weight whilst alcohol is legal

That wasn't my point either. I was simply talking about its dangers. No mention of legality. But again, alcohol is way more dangerous and yet people argue against weed because "it's so dangerous".
Reply 34
Nah
Original post by Danny Large
Yes.
It will stop the police wasting their time busting dumbass teenagers, and the government could earn a sh*t-ton of money taxing it.

Fund the NHS with weed!! Problem solved! :tongue:
Seriously though that's a great point. It's happening anyway, it isn't dangerous to any real extent so why not make money off it instead of waste money trying to police it.
It’s not something I think I’d do, but it’s obvious that prohibition has failed. I think that most people (myself included) know at least one person that’s a stoner.
Weed can't kill you

Actually it can.There is no such thing as a harmless drug.It has been implicated in the deaths of two men by German researchers and cannabis has been associated with increased risk of heart failure in studies.By the way,that is what killed the two men.
Even ecstasy has killed people,and I am not talking about the impurities in them.There is no such thing as a harmless drug.Its true you can't overdose on weed but that does not mean it has not killed anyone.
Anyway,I agree with you that weed should be legalised.its hypocritical abusing one drug like alcohol is acceptable but taking another like weed gets you in jail.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 38
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending