The Student Room Group

animation or graphic design ???

I'm struggling to pick between an animation or graphic design based degree !

Would it be easier to make the change from graphic design to animation or vice versa if I changed my mind after a degree??
Original post by alicekitty789
I'm struggling to pick between an animation or graphic design based degree !

Would it be easier to make the change from graphic design to animation or vice versa if I changed my mind after a degree??

What is it about each subject that appeals to you?
Original post by PQ
What is it about each subject that appeals to you?

I did a BTEC in graphics and illustration and I enjoy graphic design when the two are combined, but even though I love design, I can get a little bored when it's just typography.
I don't know how to animate but I'm really passionate about studying the art of animation, and I feel my drawing style might be suited to animation ???

It's just hard to work out because if I do graphic design, it'll be hard to switch to animation because most good animation courses provide full on training that I'll have missed out on.
If I do animation, then want to do graphic design, it'll be hard because most graphic design jobs seem to need you to have a degree specifically in graphic design.

Also, I won't be able to switch degrees once I'm at uni because I've already used up my gift year of tuition fee funding :///

If I did graphics then wanted to do animation or vice versa, would I be able to do a postgrad qualification in either, even though they're not completely related to each other ?
I did a BTEC in graphics and illustration and I enjoy graphic design when the two are combined, but even though I love design, I can get a little bored when it's just typography.
I don't know how to animate but I'm really passionate about studying the art of animation, and I feel my drawing style might be suited to animation ???

It's just hard to work out because if I do graphic design, it'll be hard to switch to animation because most good animation courses provide full on training that I'll have missed out on.
If I do animation, then want to do graphic design, it'll be hard because most graphic design jobs seem to need you to have a degree specifically in graphic design.

Also, I won't be able to switch degrees once I'm at uni because I've already used up my gift year of tuition fee funding :///

If I did graphics then wanted to do animation or vice versa, would I be able to do a postgrad qualification in either, even though they're not completely related to each other ?

Hi @alicekitty789 :h:

Honestly, I can understand you when picking between two degrees, it is such a struggle :argh: but I spoke to one of lecturers of the courses and she understood your dilemma. At Hallam, the first year of the course is shared so there is no need to make an absolute decision at application because its possible to move during the first year.

If you want to know more information of our courses, let me know and I can get an answer for you. I thought I would aswell that in the interviews, they are helpful for advising students with their choices!

Reanne :biggrin:
Reply 4

Here's a possible thought for you - have you considered studying motion graphics? It's a field that combines graphic design with animation; it's the sort of work that you see in idents, commercials, some music videos etc and is all about moving design. I don't know which courses in the UK are the best to study it though, you'll need to do some research.

Regarding post grad study, most courses will just want to see your portfolio and also ask you about why you want to study either animation or graphic design, so not having a direct degree in the area shouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest