The Student Room Group

Why is Earth called the "Blue Planet" when Neptune is bluer?

Currently watching the documentary series by Dai Attenborough called Blue Planet 2. Earth is roughly 70% covered by water. But Neptune is about 100% covered by what ever it is that makes it blue.

Mars is sometimes black by the way because of dust storms that can get so huge they engulf the entire planet. This effect is exacerbated by weak gravity and crappy, but not insignificant atmosphere.

So why don't they call Jupiter the rainbow planet? It's like god went a bit childish and meshed a load of bits of playdoh altogether.

Anyway heres a video starring Captain Slow:

[video="youtube;OC00qHonfj8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1 446911465&feature=iv&src_vid=LO0PgyPWE3o&v=OC00qHonfj8[/video]

(One of my favs).
(edited 6 years ago)
Blue not necessarily means colour here, but just water. No other planet has water.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wet planet wasn't popular with audiences in test screenings.
Original post by Joinedup
Wet planet wasn't popular with audiences in test screenings.

Earth is definitely a sub. I heard her call Jupiter daddy the other day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because humans knew the colour of the earth long before we knew the planet Neptune existed or what visible light hue it was.

Original post by Laomedeia
This is not because of N'gers or apes,

Or was this just a bogus thread in order to make a pithy comment about race and colour?
Original post by markovchain17
Blue not necessarily means colour here, but just water. No other planet has water.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mars has water on it.
Original post by Draconid
Mars has water on it.

Does it? I thought it did billions of years ago but now it's ice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does it? I thought it did billions of years ago but now it's ice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ice is frozen water. So technically there's water on Mars.
Original post by Draconid
Ice is frozen water. So technically there's water on Mars.

There's loads of planets with ice though. Even moons like Europa. None still have liquid water and the ice can't turn to liquid water because of the conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Because:

[video="youtube;GO5FwsblpT8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5FwsblpT8[/video]
Mind blown.:eek4:
It's about the water
Reply 12
Well calling it 'the mostly blue planet with fair areas of white, yellow and green' doesnt quite sound as catchy does it?
There's loads of planets with ice though. Even moons like Europa. None still have liquid water and the ice can't turn to liquid water because of the conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not all of the water on Mars is frozen, there's tons of evidence that there's running water on Mars.
Nasa also belive that theres water underneath Europas oceans.
How about moist planet?

Quick Reply

Latest