The Student Room Group

Help with living costs

Hi
I am a British citizen and I have a British passport, but I have always lived in Italy Rome and am currently studying here.
I would love to go to uni in the UK but I cannot afford to pay for living costs I think I am eligible for a student grant to pay for the university but I am really worried about not being able to get financial help for living.
Does any one know?
Original post by Walty99
Hi
I am a British citizen and I have a British passport, but I have always lived in Italy Rome and am currently studying here.
I would love to go to uni in the UK but I cannot afford to pay for living costs I think I am eligible for a student grant to pay for the university but I am really worried about not being able to get financial help for living.
Does any one know?

If you're a UK citizen and have been living within the EEA (the EU + scandinavian countries and switzerland) then you'll be eligible for living cost loans as well as a tuition fee loan.
Original post by Walty99
Hi
Does any one know?

Hi Walty99,

Students may have UK nationality but have never lived in the UK themselves. This can happen if their parents were UK nationals and moved elsewhere within the EU/EEA. Due to this UK nationals who have been living in the EU/EEA at any point during the 3 years before the start of the academic year need to have been settled in the UK at some point in their lives.

If a student has UK nationality but never actually lived in the UK they will not be eligible for funding as a home student, but may still be able to apply as an EU student, Migrant Worker, etc

Regards Rona
Reply 3
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi Walty99,

Students may have UK nationality but have never lived in the UK themselves. This can happen if their parents were UK nationals and moved elsewhere within the EU/EEA. Due to this UK nationals who have been living in the EU/EEA at any point during the 3 years before the start of the academic year need to have been settled in the UK at some point in their lives.

If a student has UK nationality but never actually lived in the UK they will not be eligible for funding as a home student, but may still be able to apply as an EU student, Migrant Worker, etc

Regards Rona

Hi Rona
thanks so much for your reply, is there any way I could know for sure? As I really won't be able to cover my living costs if I can't get help.
My father is unemployed and my mother is a pensioner so there is no way that they could possibly help out with living.
Regards.
Original post by Walty99
Hi Rona
thanks so much for your reply, is there any way I could know for sure? As I really won't be able to cover my living costs if I can't get help.
My father is unemployed and my mother is a pensioner so there is no way that they could possibly help out with living.
Regards.

Hi Walty99,

If you're a UK National who has never lived in the UK you won't be eligible for funding as a home student.

However, if you've been resident within the EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and resident in the UK for the first day of the course you may be able to get funding as an EU Student.

If you are going to be working throughout your studies and are ordinarily resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of your course you may be eligible to receive Migrant Worker status and the same funding as a Home Student.

I appreciate you asked how you could know 'for sure' and the word 'may' appears a lot there.

Regards,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest