The Student Room Group

Exeter medicine (a100) applicants 2018 entry

Scroll to see replies

Not getting my hopes up with Exeter. Dont understand their selection process.
Original post by MrsDrhopeful
Anyone know if Exeter have released their gamsat cut off? Anyone heard anything yet about interviews too?

What is gamsat?
Original post by Alison12345
What is gamsat?

It's a test graduates have to take instead of the UKCAT.
Reply 43
Original post by HateOCR

I thought it was clear on the website but reading last year's thread, not so sure. Think it's a bit hit and miss tbh
Reply 44
How does it seem like hardly anyone has applied to Exeter medical school this year?😅
Does anyone know when they'll start sending out invites? Apparently they were meant to be sent yesterday, but I haven't heard of anyone who's received one. Any ideas?
Original post by HateOCR

they basically rank you by Alevels, and ukcat cut off usually low.. if you got 3A*s, you'll likely to get an interview
Original post by NeverGrowUp
so if their interviews are held between 4-9th december , according to medic portal? Wow thats not many, compared to other unis. Guess we will receive rejections and interviews very quickly.

my acknowledgement said 4th-17th.
Original post by Oxbridge_
they basically rank you by Alevels, and ukcat cut off usually low.. if you got 3A*s, you'll likely to get an interview

Yeah then i defo wont make it.
Original post by HateOCR
Yeah then i defo wont make it.

i got rejected with A*AA predictions last year, what are your stats ?
i got rejected with A*AA predictions last year, what are your stats ?

Are you a gap year? Why on earth would you apply to exeter twice? Im predicted A*A*A and 635 ukcat so i pretty much anticipate my pre-int rejection
Original post by HateOCR
Are you a gap year? Why on earth would you apply to exeter twice? Im predicted A*A*A and 635 ukcat so i pretty much anticipate my pre-int rejection

oh in havent applied again lol, just looking at threads , and you have a decent chance tbh.. if theres less achieved grade people applying you'll have a chance because their tiers changed i heard?
oh in havent applied again lol, just looking at threads , and you have a decent chance tbh.. if theres less achieved grade people applying you'll have a chance because their tiers changed i heard?

How have they changed? Mind sharing your stats? Do you think less people applied exeter this year? Sorry to bombard you with qns 😂
Original post by HateOCR
How have they changed? Mind sharing your stats? Do you think less people applied exeter this year? Sorry to bombard you with qns 😂

I think even with A*A*A* predcition you can only be tier 2 right? also np, i got gcse: 4a*s 4as 1b, alevels: A*AA, A ep, ukcat 775 band 1. and i have no clue how many applied, but i reckon more achieved alevels of A*A*A* would have applied as theyd be tier 1?
6370582F-4D36-4B70-815F-7F41CFB25550.jpeg

Emailed exeter just now, this is their response.
Reply 55
Original post by jaydengi
6370582F-4D36-4B70-815F-7F41CFB25550.jpeg

Emailed exeter just now, this is their response.

Thanks! So we might hear by Friday.....
I think even with A*A*A* predcition you can only be tier 2 right? also np, i got gcse: 4a*s 4as 1b, alevels: A*AA, A ep, ukcat 775 band 1. and i have no clue how many applied, but i reckon more achieved alevels of A*A*A* would have applied as theyd be tier 1?

Wow nice ukcat score btw. I heard that there is a higher ukcat cut off the lower tiered you are
Original post by HateOCR
Wow nice ukcat score btw. I heard that there is a higher ukcat cut off the lower tiered you are

I'm not entirely certain about this but this is what I understood from a pdf I found on their website a while ago:

The university has a set amount of Medicine Interviews to offer. They start to work their way down Tier 1 (from highest UKCAT score to lowest). If there are more interview places than people in Tier 1, then they will all be invited to interview. They then start to work their way down Tier 2 by UKCAT scores, and then Tier 3 (etc.), until all of the interview places are filled. So I guess there isn't a UKCAT cut off for each tier, but only for the tier where the interview places run out.

For example, if the last person to be invited to interview is in Tier 2 with a UKCAT of 667, then there won't be a UKCAT cut off in Tier 3 (etc.) because none of those applicants will be interviewed.

Please don't take this as an official response or anything though, it's purely based on what I've read on here and what I've read about the selection process so far. They may even have some further checks so that not everyone above the score gets an interview, I have no idea.
Original post by SharplesA
I'm not entirely certain about this but this is what I understood from a pdf I found on their website a while ago:

The university has a set amount of Medicine Interviews to offer. They start to work their way down Tier 1 (from highest UKCAT score to lowest). If there are more interview places than people in Tier 1, then they will all be invited to interview. They then start to work their way down Tier 2 by UKCAT scores, and then Tier 3 (etc.), until all of the interview places are filled. So I guess there isn't a UKCAT cut off for each tier, but only for the tier where the interview places run out.

For example, if the last person to be invited to interview is in Tier 2 with a UKCAT of 667, then there won't be a UKCAT cut off in Tier 3 (etc.) because none of those applicants will be interviewed.

Please don't take this as an official response or anything though, it's purely based on what I've read on here and what I've read about the selection process so far. They may even have some further checks so that not everyone above the score gets an interview, I have no idea.

If it is what you said then im screwed. How many do they interview per year?
Original post by HateOCR
If it is what you said then im screwed. How many do they interview per year?

I had a look on their website and I couldn't find anything about the exact number of people they interview but I found the pdf I was talking about.

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/undergraduatewebsite/documents/BMBS_Detailed_Admissions_Process_2018_entry_V11_FINAL._WEB_VERSION.pdf (sections 2.1.3 , 2.1.4 , 2.1.5)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending