The Student Room Group
Yes! I have been rejected so many times! It took me ages to get my first job and I finally work in Primark. Definitely apply again - perseverance is a good thing! Make sure you prepare and improve from last time. Practise in a mirror, dress smart and look at their website - find what makes them tick. Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by boonberry
Yes! I have been rejected so many times! It took me ages to get my first job and I finally work in Primark. Definitely apply again - perseverance is a good thing! Make sure you prepare and improve from last time. Practise in a mirror, dress smart and look at their website - find what makes them tick. Hope that helps!

Hey, thank you for replying and for your tips :smile:
Some places won't let you reapply within a period of 6/12 months (e.g. Boots, Next, Aldi etc)
Some places you can reapply or submit more than one application at a time
It's mostly just passing the long online questionnaires that's the problem. Try think how you would feel as a customer, or try putting yourself in the shoes of a retail assistant
Original post by Roy101
I got a unsuccessful rejection email after my interview today from sainsbury's, really gutted, needed this job... Anybody else got this before and know if you can apply again in the future?

Any words of encouragement, feel really depressed right now. :cry2::dong::frown:

Sainsbury's allows you to apply again to other jobs immediately so go for it!
Reply 5
Thanks everyone!

I don't really wanna apply again tbh.. what other stores are recruiting?
That's how I feel at the moment but there could've been a number of reasons. It was very close between you and another candidate. I got the impression they move staff internally as well. I got my rejection email same day as you. I applied to a store where I'd worked as a temp last year. Interview wasn't good. Woman conducting was new to it and at the end said thanks for being my guinea pig! Choice of store walkabout plus questions or just questions, I chose just the questions and didn't answer that well, but how do they compare candidates that chose the other option? She did say I had good customer service skills from my previous job and two staff had recommended me saying I worked well last year, after all that still got turned down. I did consider complaining about the interview but decided just to move on. Keep trying, you could've been so close to getting it.....
Reply 7
Original post by Wyseowl2412
That's how I feel at the moment but there could've been a number of reasons. It was very close between you and another candidate. I got the impression they move staff internally as well. I got my rejection email same day as you. I applied to a store where I'd worked as a temp last year. Interview wasn't good. Woman conducting was new to it and at the end said thanks for being my guinea pig! Choice of store walkabout plus questions or just questions, I chose just the questions and didn't answer that well, but how do they compare candidates that chose the other option? She did say I had good customer service skills from my previous job and two staff had recommended me saying I worked well last year, after all that still got turned down. I did consider complaining about the interview but decided just to move on. Keep trying, you could've been so close to getting it.....

Hello, thanks for replying. For me, the interviewer was very awkward :/ And he didn't make me feel comfortable at all, as a result, making me feel like crap :frown: I know I didn't do well at all, but you know what it doesn't matter... There are better opportunities out there in the world that you'll be better at, just because you didn't do as well in one interview doesn't mean you'll do terrible at another. I guess what I've learnt was that I need to speak louder, braver, and be more confident in myself, and maybe do a power pose before going in or something hahah xD just to make myself believe that I can get this job, if you know what I mean! :h:

Hope you get the next job you apply for!

Good luck
Original post by Roy101
Hello, thanks for replying. For me, the interviewer was very awkward :/ And he didn't make me feel comfortable at all, as a result, making me feel like crap :frown: I know I didn't do well at all, but you know what it doesn't matter... There are better opportunities out there in the world that you'll be better at, just because you didn't do as well in one interview doesn't mean you'll do terrible at another. I guess what I've learnt was that I need to speak louder, braver, and be more confident in myself, and maybe do a power pose before going in or something hahah xD just to make myself believe that I can get this job, if you know what I mean! :h:

Hope you get the next job you apply for!

Good luck

The woman interviewing made me feel awkward as well. Kept on fiddling with her papers, about to ask a question then realised didn't have the cards to show me, very off-putting. Thanks for replying, I'm sure you'll get something you deserve one day. Sometimes it's meant, a good saying what's not for you will pass you by but what's for you will come your way.
Good luck for the future.
Reply 9
Original post by Wyseowl2412
The woman interviewing made me feel awkward as well. Kept on fiddling with her papers, about to ask a question then realised didn't have the cards to show me, very off-putting. Thanks for replying, I'm sure you'll get something you deserve one day. Sometimes it's meant, a good saying what's not for you will pass you by but what's for you will come your way.
Good luck for the future.

100% agree with that statement! All you can do is try your best :smile:

Thanks! :hugs:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Roy101
100% agree with that statement! All you can do is try your best :smile:

Thanks! :hugs:

I am going to write to their head office about the situation I was put in. That will probably put me on a blacklist but I think I've got reasonable grounds to say something. How can they compare candidates when they offer a choice of store walkabout OR a series of questions? Surely all candidates should be assessed doing the same tasks so it puts them on an equal footing? I'll keep you posted, if there's local jiggery-pokery going on to suit the individual store that is wrong, the same interview scenario should be carried out at every store and every candidate assessed equally.
Reply 11
I applied for a job at Sainsbury's last year and got an interview and a job offer to work 3 months over the Christmas seasonal period. Now everytime I apply for another job at Sainsbury's and after I say I've worked for Sainsbury's before, I get an automatic reply saying I've been unsuccessful. I was a good worker, punctual, did a lot of over time, worked different hours on tills and stocking shelves, got on with everyone so I don't see why they put me on the unsuccessful list. 😩 They must have gave me a good work reference too as I got a job in a school working weekends after they got a reference from Sainsbury's.

Latest

Trending

Trending