The Student Room Group

Which foundation degree will better prepare me for a child nursing degree

So i am currently looking at foundation degrees, however, i cannot see any nursing foundation degrees. I want to know which foundation degree will better prepare me for an undergraduate child nursing degree.

Any help will be appreciated.
Original post by Blackstarr
So i am currently looking at foundation degrees, however, i cannot see any nursing foundation degrees. I want to know which foundation degree will better prepare me for an undergraduate child nursing degree.

None at all, you don't need a foundation degree to do a nursing degree; you can't see any because they don't exist. What qualifications do you have? You should consider a one year access course into nursing which would fulfil the entry requirements for the degree.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Glassapple
None at all, you don't need a foundation degree to do a nursing degree; you can't see any because they don't exist. What qualifications do you have? You should consider a one year access course into nursing which would fulfil the entry requirements for the degree.

I have a BTEC level 3 in Health and Social Care which is enough for me to apply directly for an undergradute degree, however, i am considering doing a foundation degree related to nursing so as to be better prepared for the actual nursing degree.
I have a BTEC level 3 in Health and Social Care which is enough for me to apply directly for an undergradute degree, however, i am considering doing a foundation degree related to nursing so as to be better prepared for the actual nursing degree.

You can't do that because foundation degrees in nursing or even related to nursing don't exist. To be prepared for a nursing degree you just need some relatable work experience which presumably you've gained through studying health and social care. You meet the entry requirements for the degree so that's it, there's no middle qualification you can do. If you're worried you're not prepared enough then take a year out and work as a carer in a care home or a healthcare/nursing assistant in a hospital to gain more experience.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Glassapple
You can't do that because foundation degrees in nursing or even related to nursing don't exist. To be prepared for a nursing degree you just need some relatable work experience which presumably you've gained through studying health and social care. You meet the entry requirements for the degree so that's it, there's no middle qualification you can do. If you're worried you're not prepared enough then take a year out and work as a carer in a care home or a healthcare/nursing assistant in a hospital to gain more experience.

I am actually on a gap year now working as a carer to gain some relevant experience.

I am now in the position to be applying for university, however, as outlined in this thread, i am looking at foundation degrees which will better prepare me for nursing.

I know i can directly apply to do a nursing degree however i want to do a foundation degree to see what it is like but like you have mentioned, there are no foundation degrees in nursing hence i am wondering if there is anything close to that.

I have considered a foundation degree in Health and Social Care but i think this will not do me any justice in the future as an aspiring nurse.

I also feel like it would be a repetition of what i have done at level 3 but preheats more in depth.

I have had a look at other foundation degrees such as public health, health studies and some others i cannot fully remember right now, however, i don't know which one would be suited best for me who would like to study nursing after.

I have tried matching up the subject contents to nursing degree subject contents but i still do not know about which foundation degree as all of them do not seem directly related to nursing.
Foundation degrees in nursing aren't a thing so you won't find any.

I think you should go into a regular nursing degree to see if you like it. My uni does a 18-month nursing apprenticeship and its equivalent to a foundation degree if youre interested in that.
https://www.uos.ac.uk/news/new-recruits-join-nursing-apprenticeship-scheme
(edited 6 years ago)
apart fromitsa waste of two years of your life. as stated they dont exist. you have the entry grades to get on a full degree. even if they existed you would be adding another 30k to your student debt. stop worrying if you have those qualifications year one will be no harder. just bite the bullet and apply.
Reply 7
I did a health and social care foundation degree and it was a complete waste of my time and student finance debt. I really wouldnt bother
Reply 8
Original post by wbnurse
I did a health and social care foundation degree and it was a complete waste of my time and student finance debt. I really wouldnt bother

What was it like?
What was it like?

I think the phrase:

"A complete waste of my time"

Sums it up.
Original post by moonkatt
I think the phrase:

"A complete waste of my time"

Sums it up.

Yes, but it would have been helpful if she mentioned the structure of the course etc.

Hi there,
have you seen UCLan's foundation year which is integrated into the 3 year degree?
Original post by charlyjodie_
Hi there,
have you seen UCLan's foundation year which is integrated into the 3 year degree?

Hi.
I actually have not, i will look into that, thanks. :smile:
Hi.
I actually have not, i will look into that, thanks. :smile:

no worries x Its a 4 year BSc in Nursing, ring the uni tho as it is not on the website
no worries x Its a 4 year BSc in Nursing, ring the uni tho as it is not on the website

How come it is not on the website? no wonder i could not find what you were talking about.

I am interested in child nursing, do they have that?

I will defo ring them
How come it is not on the website? no wonder i could not find what you were talking about.

I am interested in child nursing, do they have that?

I will defo ring them

They do. It’s 50% APM.
Keele do a foundation year in healthcare
They do. It’s 50% APM.

What is APM?
What is APM?

Average pass mark :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending