The Student Room Group

Do Oxford discriminate between Grades 8 and 9 at GCSE if you want to study medicine?

Original post by eteesha27
I'm going to do my GCSEs in June 2018 and am predicted 2 9's, 7 8's and 3 7's. is this good enough to study medicine if i attain these grades and do Oxford discriminate between Grades 8 and 9?
Thanks

Why do you want to study medicine at Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Most unis have stated that they treat 8s and 9s both as equivalent to A*s.
Reply 2
I'm going to do my GCSEs in June 2018 and am predicted 2 9's, 7 8's and 3 7's. is this good enough to study medicine if i attain these grades and do Oxford discriminate between Grades 8 and 9?
Thanks

I've moved your thread to the University of Oxford forum. One of the resident experts (like @BrasenoseAdm :wink: ) will hopefully be along in due course. :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
I've moved your thread to the University of Oxford forum. One of the resident experts (like @BrasenoseAdm :wink: ) will hopefully be along in due course. :smile:

Oxford Undergraduate Admissions have advised selectors not to differentiate between 8 and 9. As more information is available about the new wualification becomes available, this may be revisited in future UCAS cycles.
Reply 4
Yeah they will, better get 9s in EVERY SINGLE subject.
Reply 5
Thanks

Personally, even if Oxford say that they won't I think that they will.
Reply 6
Original post by Black Water
Personally, even if Oxford say that they won't I think that they will.

So you are saying Brasenose's post above is wrong? Rly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
So you are saying Brasenose's post above is wrong? Rly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said personally. I just don't believe it, I didn't say that they're wrong. Maybe they don't but I'm just skeptical about it.
Reply 8
I said personally. I just don't believe it, I didn't say that they're wrong. Maybe they don't but I'm just skeptical about it.

Why are you sceptical about an official statement? What would Oxford gain by misleading applicants on this?
Thank you for all the help guys really appreciated
Reply 10
Why are you sceptical about an official statement? What would Oxford gain by misleading applicants on this?

It's just that say two applicants were tied in nearly every aspect but they both had different GCSE's. I know this is unlikely, but wouldn't you then go with the person who had more 9s at GCSE?
Reply 11
It's just that say two applicants were tied in nearly every aspect but they both had different GCSE's. I know this is unlikely, but wouldn't you then go with the person who had more 9s at GCSE?

No.
Reply 12
No.

Why not?
Reply 13
Why not?

Quite simply because they've decided it's not a discriminator - they need more data to assess the effectiveness of the new GCSEs so until they have that they won't use 8/9 as a discriminator.

As Brasenose said, that view may change, but until it does you should have no reason to doubt an official policy. That's what policies are for.
Reply 14
Quite simply because they've decided it's not a discriminator - they need more data to assess the effectiveness of the new GCSEs so until they have that they won't use 8/9 as a discriminator.

As Brasenose said, that view may change, but until it does you should have no reason to doubt an official policy. That's what policies are for.

Fair enough, but I think this'll change.
Reply 15
Fair enough, but I think this'll change.

At which point they will say so.

Pre-interview its largely algorithm based so its quite easy to just not factor it into the algorithm.

Post-interview there is a lot to pick through and they will always be able to find a differentiator. There really is never going to be two candidates who had exactly the same interview.
Reply 17
Original post by nexttime
Pre-interview its largely algorithm based so its quite easy to just not factor it into the algorithm.

Post-interview there is a lot to pick through and they will always be able to find a differentiator. There really is never going to be two candidates who had exactly the same interview.

Yeah I said unlikely, chances are very low of course. I think will change because the competition is always high every year.
they probably will by the time you start applying.

Its such a *****y system the govt has made, just trying to put more pressure on students and recreate some japan style culture of constant work.

there was no need for an extra grade to "identify exceptional students" the old system worked fine.

Just remember to never vote for Michael Gove
Original post by hannah00
they probably will by the time you start applying.

Its such a *****y system the govt has made, just trying to put more pressure on students and recreate some japan style culture of constant work.

there was no need for an extra grade to "identify exceptional students" the old system worked fine.

Just remember to never vote for Michael Gove

I think Oxford in particular will disagree. Average for accepted medicine applicants was 10.4A*s. Getting like 3As in unrelated subjects would substantially damage your chances - is that not pressure in itself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending