The Student Room Group

Doctors handover

Just wondering how to doctors do handover?
Do they just do it with their consultant team?
Or how does the process work?

Thank you!
It varies from a sit down discussion about every single patient on the ward among a specific team, to having a large room full of the entire hospital's on call teams where only critically unwell people should be mentioned (should be often being the operative word! :mad: )
My old hospital tried to do a combined medicine-surgery night handover. It meant that there was a small room filled with the medical take team, the medical ward team, ITU, outreach, surgery team, ortho team... and that was just the night staff. We'd discuss every proper sick patient but also, like, hyperkalemia or stable fast AF, or has a cough ?HAP.

It would take about 45 minutes, maybe longer, during which only once in a blue moon would any surgical speciality have anything to discuss whatsoever. They were constantly trying to battle the surgeons to get them to attend. When I became an ortho F2, i never did. It was ****ing stupid.

Apparently this was something heavily pushed by the managers (at the expense of patient care, i would argue). It ended up being one of the things highlighted by the CQC as 'outstanding'. Managers know how to please managers.
Original post by nexttime
My old hospital tried to do a combined medicine-surgery night handover. It meant that there was a small room filled with the medical take team, the medical ward team, ITU, outreach, surgery team, ortho team... and that was just the night staff. We'd discuss every proper sick patient but also, like, hyperkalemia or stable fast AF, or has a cough ?HAP.

It would take about 45 minutes, maybe longer, during which only once in a blue moon would any surgical speciality have anything to discuss whatsoever. They were constantly trying to battle the surgeons to get them to attend. When I became an ortho F2, i never did. It was ****ing stupid.

Apparently this was something heavily pushed by the managers (at the expense of patient care, i would argue). It ended up being one of the things highlighted by the CQC as 'outstanding'. Managers know how to please managers.

This is hands down one of the stupidest things I've ever read. I'm not surprised the CQC loved it.
I think non-reg grades should be required to cross-cover out of hours. There seems to be a notion that if you are a surgical F1/2 and you make a decision (within your capability) about a medical patient you are then not covered by insurance or somesuch. Simply not true.

Its particularly bizarre where i currently am, where our medical FY1s work surgical nights. So they know all the same wards and patients as i do, but whilst they sleep i have do to all the work, sometimes literally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending