The Student Room Group

if any one want help in chemistry ....ask me

I am chemistry teacher

Scroll to see replies

I would like a simple way to derive the oxidation state of oxygen in K2S2O8, and to be able to explain it.

This summarises a question from an A level chemistry paper of recent years - obviously my student didn't have Google available!
oxygen oxidation state is -2
Original post by Mohamed tahoon
oxygen oxidation state is -2

That doesn't quite work though.
How?
How?

The (S2O8)2- ion is an unusual example (at A level anyway). Each sulfur (Ox state +6) is bonded to 3 oxygens that each have ox state -2. There is also a peroxo bridge between the two sulfur atoms, these oxygens have ox state -1.

I would just like a simpler way to explain it to A level students, and a way to derive the ox states :smile:
the words are not arranged ...could we chat in messenger?
Reply 7
I don't think you understand how this website works.
messenger chat is more better
How do you work out the formula of ionic compounds?
ionic compound such as NaCl is ionized to postive Na ions and negative Cl ions
ionic compound such as NaCl is ionized to postive Na ions and negative Cl ions

In this example, how did you deduce the number of each ion in the formula?
How about for more complex examples?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1719548461657096/
this group for learning science pleas like it
I have my suspicions about OP.
1) His English doesn’t sound that great (unusual for a teacher).
2) I’ve never heard a teacher ask if they can teach students over social media, let alone over FB messenger.
3) Teachers already have a high workload as it is from teaching at school. They would hardly have any free time to spend with their families (or even to themselves for that matter), let alone have the free time to be going around teaching random students.
£10 says the first thing he says on messenger is "send nudes"
Reply 16
OP, your explanations of the questions so far are quite lacking. I don't feel like you are an A level teacher, but rather an A level student.
Original post by Kevin Hodge
3) Teachers already have a high workload as it is from teaching at school. They would hardly have any free time to spend with their families (or even to themselves for that matter), let alone have the free time to be going around teaching random students.

There are a handful of us that I know of.
Original post by Pigster
There are a handful of us that I know of.

It's just from personal experience I've seen that many teachers do not have much time on their hands.
Thanks for all reply...i am from Egypt ..my expressions may be poor but i hope help any students

Quick Reply

Latest