The Student Room Group

4 A* predicted but no offer for civil engineering

I applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol, Bath and Durham for civil/general engineering more than a month ago but still havent had any offers/interviews! Most of the other early applicants have received an offer and I am starting to get really worried! I have no GCSEs but got predicted 4 A*s. My PS was read by a couple of teachers and was not bad apparently. Anyone got the same situation as I do? :frown:
Why don't you have GCSEs? And what did you get at AS?
Original post by thesciencedude
I applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol, Bath and Durham for civil/general engineering more than a month ago but still havent had any offers/interviews! Most of the other early applicants have received an offer and I am starting to get really worried! I have no GCSEs but got predicted 4 A*s. My PS was read by a couple of teachers and was not bad apparently. Anyone got the same situation as I do? :frown:

How did you get onto your A-level courses without GCSE's?
My friend received 5 offers for civil engineering in the same week which is insane (only predicted AAA too). Don't worry, they might all come through next week or something...
Reply 4
Some universities take longer than others. That may be the case with you too.
Reply 5
One of my friends applied to Oxford and was worried because some others had received interview invitations already. My teacher said that in previous years some of the students didn't get a reply for a long time- don't worry just yet! You will get a reply at some point.
You have no gcses

Don't worry, no response is better than a rejection, as long as they've acknowledged your application that is. I had to wait after the March 31st deadline to receive one of my offers, so it's all good.

All the unis you have applied to are really high choices as a result they are taking a while to decide. Don't worry they will reply sooner or later.
Original post by uberteknik

I am an international student and started A levels during Lower Sixth form
I am an international student and started A levels during Lower Sixth form. I didnt take AS as well but achieved an A* in Maths already.
Original post by Student-95
Why don't you have GCSEs? And what did you get at AS?
Original post by uberteknik

I had a senior who didn't do GCSEs. He did the Indian Curriculum and then switched to A-Levels. OP must have done something similar. It's quite rare though!
I am an international student and started A levels during Lower Sixth form

I think you answered your own question.

It's taking longer because you are trying to gain entry via an unconventional route.

You have no prior history of achievement recordable and verifiable in the UK system.
Well maybe it's the fact that you have no GCSEs and therefore the universities are finding that it's difficult to compare you with other students who have similar grades and GCSEs? Either way, you really shouldn't worry about offers just yet. Most people haven't even sent off their UCAS.
Where did you apply? I applied for civil engineering last week, just waiting to here back from my top 2 unis about rejections/ offers, lol! Also, random question, did you have to any interviews?? :smile:
Realistically if anyone applies to 3, 4, or 5 of: Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Imperial, UCL, St. Andrews, Durham
You will have to wait minimum a month or two for the majority of your offers, and you can't really compare yourself to those who haven't applied to these.
You've applied to 3 of these so you fit this criteria, and the other 2 are top 10 for your course (I know Bath is excellent for it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending