The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

Hi, really need some personal statement help. I want to study sociology with psychology. What things should I include etc? I don't have much of a background in sociology so how do I also make myself relevant to the course? Thanks.
Why you want to study it, your work experience or shadowing, your future career ambitions, anything extra you've done that shows your interest.
Reply 2
Have you studied psychology? Then maybe you could talk about that... if not, then just talk about stuff you've done outside of school that relates to sociology. It could be as simple as talking about a book you read or a topic that interests you. They want to see your enthusiasm for the course, but also know that not everyone has the same opportunities.
(edited 6 years ago)
Try and include paragraphs on these:
- Why you wish to study the course.
- Academic and work background (and how it aligns with the course)
- Something about the institution- Why you'd love study this course at this specific institution.
Reply 4
Original post by Bill-Matt
Try and include paragraphs on these:
- Why you wish to study the course.
- Academic and work background (and how it aligns with the course)
- Something about the institution- Why you'd love study this course at this specific institution.

I'd skip specifically mentioning any university. OP is probably applying to more than one institution so mentioning one will insult and scare off the others. Also, expressing an interest for an institution could be misinterpreted and will sound less genuine than when expressing interest for the subject and course.
Original post by Maivnek
I'd skip specifically mentioning any university. OP is probably applying to more than one institution so mentioning one will insult and scare off the others. Also, expressing an interest for an institution could be misinterpreted and will sound less genuine than when expressing interest for the subject and course.

True! I'd narrowed my line of thought to a scenario where he was applying to a specific institution. I do see your point.

Quick Reply

Latest