The Student Room Group

A level PE fitness

How fit do you have to be for a level PE.

I am a decent school team swimmer does that help?

I am not super fit but wouldn’t think of myself as unfit.

What does the course entail?
Original post by Paigesmith578

It might depend upon the exam board, but I think that A-Level PE is about 70% theory, so physical fitness shouldn't deter you completely from doing it. Plus (at least for Edexcel), you only have to do one sport - so you could probably just focus on swimming for the practical side.

Not about fitness, more about how good you are at the sport and how much you understand it. Got no idea what swimming is like, but I would assume you've got to do a bit more for the assessment than just show yourself splashing about in the pool in Maga.

For stuff like netball or hockey it's usually how you are in a match and showing your skills and game intelligence. I don't know what the current rules are on editing footage.
Original post by VirgoStrain
Why are you considering it? What sort of courses do you intend to apply for? As a GCSE it’s fine but as an A-Level it’s really not necessary for anything, especially if you’re going to have to put so much practice into it.

It wasn’t an option at GCSE in my school

I want to be a physiotherapist
It wasn’t an option at GCSE in my school

I want to be a physiotherapist

I tend to agree with the person above. If you're not really good at one thing, then it might be a mistake. The big marks in PE are only going to come if you can ace the practical as well as the written work. If you're not at least county level, or maybe a very good club player at one sport, then you're taking a big risk, especially if you haven't done GCSE.

If you want to be a physio, just check out the general entry requirements - Biology and any two others will probably do you. You don't need PE, especially if it's going to be hard going for you.
Original post by Trinculo
Not about fitness, more about how good you are at the sport and how much you understand it. Got no idea what swimming is like, but I would assume you've got to do a bit more for the assessment than just show yourself splashing about in the pool in Maga.

For stuff like netball or hockey it's usually how you are in a match and showing your skills and game intelligence. I don't know what the current rules are on editing footage.

Swimming is based on technique, timings and speed - it is an option across all exam boards and so ‘splashing about’ shouldn’t be a problem in the exam

What do you mean editing footage?
I tend to agree with the person above. If you're not really good at one thing, then it might be a mistake. The big marks in PE are only going to come if you can ace the practical as well as the written work. If you're not at least county level, or maybe a very good club player at one sport, then you're taking a big risk, especially if you haven't done GCSE.

If you want to be a physio, just check out the general entry requirements - Biology and any two others will probably do you. You don't need PE, especially if it's going to be hard going for you.

it isn’t essential for physiotherapy so perhaps I’ll look at other options, the main reason why I’m considering it is that I’m really stuck for my third option (currently choosing Spanish and biology)
Swimming is based on technique, timings and speed - it is an option across all exam boards and so ‘splashing about’ shouldn’t be a problem in the exam

What do you mean editing footage?

You do your sport and depending on what it is and what facilities your school has - you might just film it and give it to your teacher who then marks you - and then sends the film off for moderation.

By editing - (I only did GCSE) I'm not sure what the rules are on the filming - if it has to be one continuous piece of video - for example if it's a hockey match, could you just pick all the bits of you being awesome and cut out the bits when you get your lunch stolen.

I would still say be careful - speak to your PE staff, or even better go on an open day to a school which is really good at PE, usually one of the public schools (even if you have no intention of going there) and ask them for some guidance on what level you need to be at to get marks in the practical commensurate with what you think you're capable of in the theory - and if you think that's you - then by all means go for it.

My worry would be that if youre just "ok" at swimming, and not at least at club level, you'd be bringing your grade down from the theory side.
You do your sport and depending on what it is and what facilities your school has - you might just film it and give it to your teacher who then marks you - and then sends the film off for moderation.

By editing - (I only did GCSE) I'm not sure what the rules are on the filming - if it has to be one continuous piece of video - for example if it's a hockey match, could you just pick all the bits of you being awesome and cut out the bits when you get your lunch stolen.

I would still say be careful - speak to your PE staff, or even better go on an open day to a school which is really good at PE, usually one of the public schools (even if you have no intention of going there) and ask them for some guidance on what level you need to be at to get marks in the practical commensurate with what you think you're capable of in the theory - and if you think that's you - then by all means go for it.

My worry would be that if youre just "ok" at swimming, and not at least at club level, you'd be bringing your grade down from the theory side.

I actually go to a public school and the sport here is great. In a year of 140 I am 1 of 8 swimmers in the senior team. I currently swim against people 2 years older than me. Do you think this is would be good enough?
Original post by VirgoStrain
Choose either chemistry or maths as a third option. Forget PE. They’re much more relevant to what you want to do, especially chemistry.

Suck at chemistry not at all an option!! Maths I could do...
I actually go to a public school and the sport here is great. In a year of 140 I am 1 of 8 swimmers in the senior team. I currently swim against people 2 years older than me. Do you think this is would be good enough?

I have no idea. I don't know anything about the swimming specification - so I would definitely ask the PE staff - or in an ideal world one of the current VI formers if any of them do PE with swimming.

It may well be that you're good enough - that's why you need to ask ahead of time. From what I've seen though (in other sports) you tend to need to be above school level to get big marks. That obviously depends how good your school team is.

Par example, if your sport were football or netball, it probably wouldn't be enough for you to be in the first team (only), you'd probably have to be a decent out-of-school club player at least, and possibly of county level. But like I said, this all depends on what swimming is like, how it's assessed and how good your school standard is. Your school standard might be a lot higher than some others.
I have no idea. I don't know anything about the swimming specification - so I would definitely ask the PE staff - or in an ideal world one of the current VI formers if any of them do PE with swimming.

It may well be that you're good enough - that's why you need to ask ahead of time. From what I've seen though (in other sports) you tend to need to be above school level to get big marks. That obviously depends how good your school team is.

Par example, if your sport were football or netball, it probably wouldn't be enough for you to be in the first team (only), you'd probably have to be a decent out-of-school club player at least, and possibly of county level. But like I said, this all depends on what swimming is like, how it's assessed and how good your school standard is. Your school standard might be a lot higher than some others.

Thanks for the help
Thanks for the help

One of the things about PE is that the practical is assessed internally and then moderated by a local person. I’ve noticed that this means that if you can do a sport that the PE staff know nothing about they’ll work off the video probably give you top marks and the moderator is only looking for consistency - not to re-mark.

For example, I know a girl who did skiing - it obv was done off video take on holidays. None of the PE staff were great skiers and she got an A. Another girl did Lacrosse and although she was a very good player, the school played Lacrosse and had a full coaching staff - she was under a lot more scrutiny and they could assess in person rather than video it - the moderator would have no real way of knowing if a skier is being fairly compared to a Lacrosse girl.

Quick Reply

Latest