The Student Room Group

Tesco christmas advert features Muslims celebrating it.

Scroll to see replies

Pre Brexit and Trump we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Now the ugly racists have crawled out from their rocks because Brexit and Trump have emboldened them and made them feel that their views have been legitimised. My Muslim friends swap Xmas cards with me and send Xmas gifts. They actually believe in Jesus btw (though as a prophet, not the 'son of god') Also nowhere in the bible does Jesus tell us to celebrate his birth. It's a pagan festival, not Christian. 🙄🤔
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 121
Original post by Racoon
Why shouldn't they? Jesus is a major prophet in Islam.
Muslims aren't even allowed to celebrate Muahmmad's birth. (Well, somewhat surprisingly there are actually different opinions on this).
Original post by Trinculo
There was a girl on my undergrad course from Malaysia, and she said that non-Muslims used to celebrate Ramadan all the time by speeding and going through red lights because the police were all fasting and really cba to chase anyone - although the risk was getting a Sikh policeman.

I have a friend whos non muslim and he fasts occasionaly with us muslims during ramadan lol.
Reply 123
Original post by ShootForTheStars
Pre Brexit and Trump we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Now the ugly racists have crawled out from their rocks because Brexit and Trump have emboldened them and made them feel that their views have been legitimised. My Muslim friends swap Xmas cards with me and send Xmas gifts. They actually believe in Jesus btw (though as a prophet, not the 'son of god':wink: Also nowhere in the bible does Jesus tell us to celebrate his birth. It's a pagan festival, not Christian. 🙄🤔
A bit simplistic. There are many Muslims who believe that it is a major sin to celebrate the festivals of other religions - even culturally.
Also, it's not a "pagan festival". It is a Christian festival that hijacked elements of pagan festivals and a means of gaining acceptance. Much as Islam did with some of its religious rituals.
Original post by QE2
Muslims aren't even allowed to celebrate Muahmmad's birth. (Well, somewhat surprisingly there are actually different opinions on this).

Wrong.
Reply 125
Original post by Laissez‒faire
Wrong.
Wrong that some Muslims believe that it is a sin to celebrate Muhammad's birthday, or wrong that there is a difference of opinion?
Original post by QE2
Wrong that some Muslims believe that it is a sin to celebrate Muhammad's birthday, or wrong that there is a difference of opinion?

You aren't "not allowed" to celebrate it, some sects believe it is a religious innovation as the Caliphs didn't celebrate it, so it shouldn't be "celebrated" as a religious affair. You can commemorate it as a personal thing.
Reply 127
You aren't "not allowed" to celebrate it, some sects believe it is a religious innovation
Exactly. Bidah (innovation) is a sin. Therefore it is "not allowed".
Unless you are claiming that sins are allowed in Islam? Good luck with that!
(edited 6 years ago)
Anyone asked Tesco if the actually sell Halal Turkey
Original post by QE2
Exactly. Bidah (innovation) is a major sin. Therefore it is "not allowed".
Unless you are claiming that bidah is allowed in Islam? Good luck with that!

There are two types of Bidah. Using a loudspeaker to propel the Imam's voice is also an innovation, but clearly allowed.
Reply 130
There are two types of Bidah. Using a loudspeaker to propel the Imam's voice is also an innovation, but clearly allowed.
Yes, but any innovation that adds anything to the religion, that is not mentioned in the Quran or sunnah is prohibited bidah. Some schools claim that celebrating Mawlid is such an innovation as it not only adds to the religion but it goes against passages in the Quran and sunnah.

As I said, there are differing opinions on the issue.
Original post by karanight
The differance between muslims celerbrating Christmas and unbelievers is that unbelievers don't belong to a religion that actively discourages Christmas being celebrated. Muslim scholars on the other hand, say that muslims must not celebrate Christmas or holidays of non-muslims. Therefore tesco are not only upsetting non muslims, they are upsetting muslims themselves

im not upset.
Original post by QE2
Yes, but any innovation that adds anything to the religion, that is not mentioned in the Quran or sunnah is prohibited bidah. Some schools claim that celebrating Mawlid is such an innovation as it not only adds to the religion but it goes against passages in the Quran and sunnah.

As I said, there are differing opinions on the issue.

Some schools claim that celebrating Mawlid is such an innovation as it not only adds to the religion but it goes against passages in the Quran and sunnah.

You learn something new every day.

I never knew innovation was a sin in Islam. The argument is that virtually everything is an innovation compared to over 1,000 years ago in the middle east. Interested where muslims go with that. No i-phones, no selfies, no tv ...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 133
Original post by Racoon
Some schools claim that celebrating Mawlid is such an innovation as it not only adds to the religion but it goes against passages in the Quran and sunnah.

You learn something new every day.

I never knew innovation was a sin in Islam. The argument is that virtually everything is an innovation compared to over 1,000 years ago in the middle east. Interested where muslims go with that. No i-phones, no selfies, no tv ...
There are two types on innovation.
Technological innovation that either does not affect Islam, or aids its dissemination is permitted - that inludes phones, TVs, transport, medicine, etc.
Religious innovation - anything that adds anything the the practice or rules of Islam, is forbidden.
Original post by QE2
There are two types on innovation.
Technological innovation that either does not affect Islam, or aids its dissemination is permitted - that inludes phones, TVs, transport, medicine, etc.
Religious innovation - anything that adds anything the the practice or rules of Islam, is forbidden.

I see, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest