2306D768-C7E6-4E9B-904D-71A7BB6CC298.jpg.jpeg
Original post by shushmush
2306D768-C7E6-4E9B-904D-71A7BB6CC298.jpg.jpeg

Have you done part (i)?
Reply 2
Yes
Yes

You know that tan2θsin2θ>0\tan^2 {\theta}-\sin^2{\theta}>0 since tanθ>0\tan{\theta}>0 and sinθ>0\sin{\theta}>0 for 0<θ<900^\circ<\theta<90^\circ. Try factorising the expression and tell me what you think.
Yes

Sorry, didn't see this as I wasn't quoted.

So because the interval is 0 < x < 90, you know that the RHS is always going to be positive as both sin(x) and tan(x) are both positive for this range, so sin2(x) and tan2(x) will be too.

Factorise the LHS and you'll probably find your answer :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Protostar
Sorry, didn't see this as I wasn't quoted.

So because the interval is 0 < x < 90, you know that the RHS is always going to be positive as both sin(x) and tan(x) are both positive for this range, so sin2(x) and tan2(x) will be too.

Factorise the LHS and you'll probably find your answer :smile:

I'm not sure how to factorise the LHS. :frown:
I'm not sure how to factorise the LHS. :frown:

Are you familiar with the difference of two squares?
Reply 7
Ohhhh I get the factorisation now
Are you familiar with the difference of two squares?
Ohhhh I get the factorisation now

Great :smile: so what do you spot?
Reply 9
Great :smile: so what do you spot?

What am I meant to spot?
What am I meant to spot?

We've established that the RHS is always positive for values of x in this range. Because of the identity, the LHS must also be positive. Look at the result of your factorisation, keeping this in mind, and things should become reasonably clear
Reply 11
We've established that the RHS is always positive for values of x in this range. Because of the identity, the LHS must also be positive. Look at the result of your factorisation, keeping this in mind, and things should become reasonably clear

Thank you!
Thank you!

No worries, hope that helped :smile:
tan x is sinx/cosx

cosx is between 0 and 1 not inclusive

if you divide by a positive number less than 1 your answer gets bigger.

You've established that (tan(x)+sin(x))(tan(x)sin(x))(tan(x)sin(x))2(\tan(x)+\sin(x))(\tan(x)-\sin(x)) \equiv (\tan(x) \sin(x))^2

We know that the RHS is >0 > 0 for 0<x<900< x < 90 because it's a whole square term (anything squared is always +ve)

So, you essentially have (tan(x)+sin(x))(tan(x)sin(x))>0(\tan(x)+\sin(x))(\tan(x)-\sin(x)) > 0 for 0<x<900< x < 90

We can simplify this by dividing by one of the expressions, but you need to reason WHY you're allowed to divide by one of them. Which would leave you with the other expression and the inequality, thus granting the result.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
We know that the RHS is >0 > 0 for 0<x<900< x < 90 because it's a whole square term (anything squared is always +ve)

Just a pedantic quibble on language but real numbers squared are always non-negative, not necessarily positive; you can get zero, and the fact that you don't in this case is important to the argument.
Reply 16
Original post by I hate maths
Just a pedantic quibble on language but anything squared is always non-negative, not necessarily positive; it can be zero, and the fact that it's not in this case is important to the argument.

For more pedantry: any real number squared is always non-negative; i^2 = -1.
Original post by I hate maths
Just a pedantic quibble on language but anything squared is always non-negative, not necessarily positive; it can be zero, and the fact that it's not in this case is important to the argument.

Yes anything (real) squared is non-negative, but in this context we have 0<x<900<x<90, so the product squared is strictly positive as I said.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
For more pedantry: any real number squared is always non-negative; i^2 = -1.

Ah yeah, edited it immediately after it went up but it seems it wasn't on time. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest