The Student Room Group

Had to cancel and now she won't talk to me

Last Friday morning I messaged this girl I've been seeing to ask if she had any plans for the following day. She messaged me back around 3 hours later saying no she didn't so I replied "do you want to do something tomorrow?" I then saw that she had read the message but didn't reply (this was at about 11:30am).

She then messaged me back at nearly 11pm on Friday asking what I had in mind. However, in that 12 hour gap my pregnant sister rang me and asked if I could take her to the hospital on Saturday for her baby scan as her husband got called into work and no one else could take her. Obviously I didn't want her to go on her own so I agreed to take her. I then messaged the girl back being really apologetic saying I was now busy on Saturday and told her why and asked if we could maybe do something this weekend instead.

However, she has read the message and not messaged me back. What should I do?
Just carry on like it didn't happen. She can't expect you to leave the day free when she hasn't messaged you for 12 hours.
Wait it out. She’s probably a little annoyed however she should be understanding. If she’s being that petty over that then you deserve better :smile:
Reply 3
It doesn't sound like she's that interested if she's leaving you on read like that (even the first time you asked).

Ball is in her court now, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Reply 4
Original post by doodle_333
Just carry on like it didn't happen. She can't expect you to leave the day free when she hasn't messaged you for 12 hours.

Well that is what I was thinking, and surely she can't be angry at me cancelling when I had a genuine serious reason why I had to cancel.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Wait it out. She’s probably a little annoyed however she should be understanding. If she’s being that petty over that then you deserve better :smile:

Yeah I was hoping she would understand that I had to cancel to take my pregnant sister to the hospital.
Well that is what I was thinking, and surely she can't be angry at me cancelling when I had a genuine serious reason why I had to cancel.

you didn't even cancel, you hadn't made any plans... what does she expect, that you say no to everyone and sit around the house alone? because she could well have messaged at 11pm to say she was busy or something had come up or even that she was just a bit tired

sounds like she's bad at replying in general so I wouldn't think too much of it and don't make a thing of it because if she is angry then acting like there's a problem will make her feel like she's right to be angry - act like everything is fine because it should be
Reply 7
Original post by doodle_333
you didn't even cancel, you hadn't made any plans... what does she expect, that you say no to everyone and sit around the house alone? because she could well have messaged at 11pm to say she was busy or something had come up or even that she was just a bit tired

sounds like she's bad at replying in general so I wouldn't think too much of it and don't make a thing of it because if she is angry then acting like there's a problem will make her feel like she's right to be angry - act like everything is fine because it should be

I was thinking about seeing if she wants to do something this weekend. Should I just ask her and not even mention what happened last week?
I was thinking about seeing if she wants to do something this weekend. Should I just ask her and not even mention what happened last week?

yeah I would

if she makes a comment or anything just say 'oh I didn't think it would be an issue, I hadn't heard from you all day so thought you might have made plans and obviously if my sister needs to go to the hospital I do have to look after her'
Reply 9
Last Friday morning I messaged this girl I've been seeing to ask if she had any plans for the following day. She messaged me back around 3 hours later saying no she didn't so I replied "do you want to do something tomorrow?" I then saw that she had read the message but didn't reply (this was at about 11:30am).

She then messaged me back at nearly 11pm on Friday asking what I had in mind. However, in that 12 hour gap my pregnant sister rang me and asked if I could take her to the hospital on Saturday for her baby scan as her husband got called into work and no one else could take her. Obviously I didn't want her to go on her own so I agreed to take her. I then messaged the girl back being really apologetic saying I was now busy on Saturday and told her why and asked if we could maybe do something this weekend instead.

However, she has read the message and not messaged me back. What should I do?

maybe she thinks you're a flake and are just BS-ing her around..

I know one or two people who are usually all set for going out, then as the time draws near you get radio silence from them and then some lame excuse about family emergency or something .....and you just KNOW it's absolute bull............
Original post by ANM775
maybe she thinks you're a flake and are just BS-ing her around..

I know one or two people who are usually all set for going out, then as the time draws near you get radio silence from them and then some lame excuse about family emergency or something .....and you just KNOW it's absolute bull............

Thing is it wasn't radio silence from me, it was radio silence from her. And in the 12 hours that she didn't reply I got asked to take my sister the hospital.
Sometimes people don't realise that their behaviour is confusing. Maybe she read your message but was busy so forgot to reply. It happens to me a lot. So then when you told her you were actually busy she thinks you caused the problem and is mad at you, when actually it's her. Try and arrange another night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending