The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Oral Science 2018 entry/applicants

Hi All,

I am going to be applying for the Oral Science course for 2018 entry. Who else has applied/is going to apply and with what qualifications?

- I am a qualified dental nurse with 4.5 years experiences, all relevant GCSE's (including triple science).

Also, any other information/experience of the application process?

Scroll to see replies

Hiya, I applied this year (2017 entry) and managed to secure a place - starting in a couple of weeks (eeek!). I am a dental nurse of 3 years with relevant GCSE's but no A levels. I would say make sure you have a strong personal statement including reasons why you want to become a dental hygienist and what you can bring to the profession. Interviews are usually given out quickly after application and take place over a few months usually between december-april then you will find out about places at the beginning of may. Unfortunately I cannot help with regards to the interview process - we aren't allowed to give out clues to what may happen, although if successful for interview they will send out an email with information about the day. Hope this helps a little :smile:
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by thutchinson96
Hiya, I applied this year (2017 entry) and managed to secure a place - starting in a couple of weeks (eeek!). I am a dental nurse of 3 years with relevant GCSE's but no A levels. I would say make sure you have a strong personal statement including reasons why you want to become a dental hygienist and what you can bring to the profession. Interviews are usually given out quickly after application and take place over a few months usually between december-april then you will find out about places at the beginning of may. Unfortunately I cannot help with regards to the interview process - we aren't allowed to give out clues to what may happen, although if successful for interview they will send out an email with information about the day. Hope this helps a little :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply it is very encouraging to hear that they consider you on your personal attributes as well as actual qualifications. I cannot tell you how much I would love to get on the course.. When did you submit your application?
Hi! I'm applying to do oral health science at Essex for 2018. Ive been dental nursing for 4 years and have the revelvant GCSE's. Have you applied yet?
Reply 4
Original post by evnewton1
Hi! I'm applying to do oral health science at Essex for 2018. Ive been dental nursing for 4 years and have the revelvant GCSE's. Have you applied yet?

Hello! Yes I actually sent off my application today, have you?
Original post by LauB
Hello! Yes I actually sent off my application today, have you?

Aaaah how exciting!! No not yet just need to get a few bits together and then I will! not sure when they get back to you? I assume it varies x
Reply 6
Aaaah how exciting!! No not yet just need to get a few bits together and then I will! not sure when they get back to you? I assume it varies x

No, the lady above said they normally start interviewing from December but then you may not receive an answer until May so I guess once its submitted its just a waiting game however I know I will be checking UCAS every day just in case!.. do you know whether they will email/write to us directly or whether the offer of an interview will be all through UCAS? Also are you planning on attending the open day in October? x
Original post by LauB
No, the lady above said they normally start interviewing from December but then you may not receive an answer until May so I guess once its submitted its just a waiting game however I know I will be checking UCAS every day just in case!.. do you know whether they will email/write to us directly or whether the offer of an interview will be all through UCAS? Also are you planning on attending the open day in October? x

Oh yes just read that!! Yes me too! Hope to get one sooner than later! From what I've seen I think it's directly too you, but I'm not 100% on that! Yeah I'm going to that, are you? And are you far from Southend? x
Reply 8
Oh yes just read that!! Yes me too! Hope to get one sooner than later! From what I've seen I think it's directly too you, but I'm not 100% on that! Yeah I'm going to that, are you? And are you far from Southend? x

Yes I am, I am about 2 hours away near Peterborough. Have you got far to travel? x
Original post by LauB
Yes I am, I am about 2 hours away near Peterborough. Have you got far to travel? x

Yeah I'm from Dorset so it's about three hours!
Hey, what is the difference between oral science and dental hygiene?
Oral science is the subject you'd study at Essex to become a dental hygienist :smile:
Original post by thutchinson96

Hiya Hun just wondering was this your first year of applying and was you fully prepared? I know you cant give details of the interview but was it strict or quite a relaxed atmosphere? Thanks in advance
Hi Girls I have applied for 2018 too so nervous and keep checking UCAS daily! lol! x
Reply 14
Original post by LauB
Hi All,

I am going to be applying for the Oral Science course for 2018 entry. Who else has applied/is going to apply and with what qualifications?

- I am a qualified dental nurse with 4.5 years experiences, all relevant GCSE's (including triple science).

Also, any other information/experience of the application process?

Hi all,

I am new to the Student Room!

I am hoping to send my application in by the end of November.
Does anyone know for definite how we should expect to hear if we have an interview, is it on the UCAS Site or do they write to us?
Original post by CG29
Hi all,

I am new to the Student Room!

I am hoping to send my application in by the end of November.
Does anyone know for definite how we should expect to hear if we have an interview, is it on the UCAS Site or do they write to us?

I think they let you know on UCAS :smile:
Reply 16
Thanks!
I'm so nervous!!!
Original post by CG29
Thanks!
I'm so nervous!!!

I've just instant messaged you:smile:
Reply 18
Has anyone received an interview date yet?
Original post by LauB
Has anyone received an interview date yet?

noooo :frown: Have you?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending