The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough Applicants and FAQs 2018

Scroll to see replies

I want to make Loughborough my firm choice and I'm from North London, my parents won't let me attend a university without seeing it first and the next open days are in 2018 is it possible I can be taken on a tour sometime this year?
Also when is the International Relations deadline ?

Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 21
If you’re invited to an applicant day does it mean you’ll receive an offer?
Original post by Loughborough University

If there is anything else you need to know - just ask - we're always happy to help :smile:

Hi,

I’ve recently got my offer through for chemical engineering (MEng), at the interview it was mentioned that if you firm it (which I will likely be doing) you essentially get an insurance offer of aab for the BEng should grades not be as desired, is this just something that happens automatically of should I be putting Loughborough as an insurance choice as well when I make that decision. just to be on the safe side.

Many thanks
Hi, I got An offer for Beng mechanical engineering however I didn’t apply for a year in industry but would like to do it now. Would it be possible to change that ?
Original post by Shahbaaz
Hey, so I have a few questions.

I am applying to Industrial Design & Technology and User Centred Design, which both are part of the Design School if I am correct, will applying to 2 different courses put me at a disadvantage in any way?

Also, do you think its fairly early to send your applications or should I send mine once it's finished?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat but I'm not sure which course I want to do. At loughboroughs open day they said that it can be determined in the interview which course you are suited to but I'm not sure if I have to initially apply for both and they determine which one, or I apply for one course and if in the interview they feel I am more suited to the other then they swap me over provided I'm successful as both courses have the same entry requirements?

any response would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Original post by Boboo754
Does anyone know how crucial the visit days are to your application? I have received my dates but they are both booked with other Uni days, and there doesn't seem to be an interview on the day or anything.

Thanks

Hi Boboo754

Some are more crucial than others. What course are you applying for? I can find out a bit more info if that helps.
It is good to see the department in more depth though if at all possible - as it helps you make a more informed decision on your firm and insurance choices then and you get a better idea of where you want to study.

Hope this helps :smile:
Vicky
Original post by SaksTheGreatest
I want to make Loughborough my firm choice and I'm from North London, my parents won't let me attend a university without seeing it first and the next open days are in 2018 is it possible I can be taken on a tour sometime this year?
Also when is the International Relations deadline ?

Thanks

Hi SaksTheGreatest

We have campus tours on Wednesday afternoons - might be worth attending one of those if at all possible.
Have a look here for booking info.
It's also possible to do a self-guided tour so maybe you could come up on a weekend - info here - the only thing with this is there won't be a lot open, but you do get a feel for the place and the size of the campus.

It's always a good idea to have a look at a uni before making a decision if at all possible - nothing like seeing it for yourself first hand.

IR deadline - are you talking about applications? If so it's 15th January 2018 - the same as all our courses through UCAS.

Hope that helps :smile:

Vicky
Original post by JackFin
If you’re invited to an applicant day does it mean you’ll receive an offer?

Hi JackFin

Not necessarily - it's not 100% guaranteed. However, they'll only invite people to applicant days that stand a really, really good chance at getting an offer - they're not going to waste your time or theirs. However, if it involves an interview - this is part of the selection process.

Does that help?
Vicky
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Hi,

I’ve recently got my offer through for chemical engineering (MEng), at the interview it was mentioned that if you firm it (which I will likely be doing) you essentially get an insurance offer of aab for the BEng should grades not be as desired, is this just something that happens automatically of should I be putting Loughborough as an insurance choice as well when I make that decision. just to be on the safe side.

Many thanks

Hi Snoozinghamster

The way it works is that if you put Loughborough as your firm choice for the MEng but for what ever reason you don't make the grade, but you do make the grade for the BEng you'll automatically be transferred on to the BEng course.

So to answer your question - no you don't need to put Loughborough as your insurance choice also.

But I do need to make it clear - you'll only be transferred if you a) make Loughborough your firm and b) meet the entry reqs of the BEng.

Does that make sense?
You will be getting a letter explaining it to you soon, but hopefully that clarifies a bit. :smile:

Thanks
Vicky
Hi Snoozinghamster

The way it works is that if you put Loughborough as your firm choice for the MEng but for what ever reason you don't make the grade, but you do make the grade for the BEng you'll automatically be transferred on to the BEng course.

So to answer your question - no you don't need to put Loughborough as your insurance choice also.

But I do need to make it clear - you'll only be transferred if you a) make Loughborough your firm and b) meet the entry reqs of the BEng.

Does that make sense?
You will be getting a letter explaining it to you soon, but hopefully that clarifies a bit. :smile:

Thanks
Vicky

Thanks for your help.
Original post by BoB1357246
Hi, I got An offer for Beng mechanical engineering however I didn’t apply for a year in industry but would like to do it now. Would it be possible to change that ?

Hi BoB1357246

Yes you can change over to the 4 year course (and honestly it's really worthwhile to do a year in industry).
Best thing to do is to contact a lady called Sheralyn Thorne who sorts out the admissions for Mech Eng and she'll be able to help.
Her e-mail is [email protected] or you can call her on 01509 227 644.

Vicky
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Thanks for your help.

Happy to help :cool:

Vicky
Original post by Patrick Monkman
I'm in the same boat but I'm not sure which course I want to do. At loughboroughs open day they said that it can be determined in the interview which course you are suited to but I'm not sure if I have to initially apply for both and they determine which one, or I apply for one course and if in the interview they feel I am more suited to the other then they swap me over provided I'm successful as both courses have the same entry requirements?

any response would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Hi Patrick Monkman

Which courses are you looking at? Let me know and I can find out some more info for you.

Vicky
Hi Boboo754

Some are more crucial than others. What course are you applying for? I can find out a bit more info if that helps.
It is good to see the department in more depth though if at all possible - as it helps you make a more informed decision on your firm and insurance choices then and you get a better idea of where you want to study.

Vicky

Hi Vicky, MEng in aeronautical engineering! Thank you!
Original post by Boboo754
Hi Vicky, MEng in aeronautical engineering! Thank you!

Hi Boboo754

Just spoken to the department.
The visit day is a critical part of the selection process and although they don't interview everyone, you won't get an offer if you don't attend.
However on the bright side - there will be more dates available.

Best thing to do is e-mail your details to [email protected] and they'll sort it from there with you.

Hope that helps
Vicky
Hi Vicky,
I want to apply for the MEng in Mechanical Engineering but I'm not sure if my grades are good enough for an offer. If they aren't, will I be offered a place on the BEng instead, or should I apply for both courses?
Thanks!
Original post by sukey111
Hi Vicky,
I want to apply for the MEng in Mechanical Engineering but I'm not sure if my grades are good enough for an offer. If they aren't, will I be offered a place on the BEng instead, or should I apply for both courses?
Thanks!

Hi sukey111

If you're not sure if your grades are good enough for MEng I'd encourage you to apply for the BEng only. Reason being that if you get an offer for the BEng, when you get your results if they match the MEng entry reqs, you can get in touch with the department directly and they will transfer you to the MEng course anyway.
The department don't give out dual offers, so it would be a waste applying for both.

So if I were you, apply for the BEng, hopefully get an offer, work your socks off, get your A*AA (with the A* being in Maths or Physics) and then ask for transfer on to the MEng before you start. Does that sound like a plan?

Good luck :smile:
Vicky
Thank you Vicky, that sounds great!
Original post by sukey111
Thank you Vicky, that sounds great!

:yy:
Hi BoB1357246

Yes you can change over to the 4 year course (and honestly it's really worthwhile to do a year in industry).
Best thing to do is to contact a lady called Sheralyn Thorne who sorts out the admissions for Mech Eng and she'll be able to help.
Her e-mail is [email protected] or you can call her on 01509 227 644.

Vicky

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending