The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MedGK
Nice to hear that you're enjoying it! I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but is the Maths test at Interview ranked or is it a just a singly-used test?(so if I were to get the pass mark, the test is no longer considered). Thanks.

As far as I know, they only want you to get above the threshold (can't remember what this was, but it wasn't very high) in order for your interview performance to be considered. I'm not completely sure if you're ranked thereafter.
Original post by TracyEmu
How are you finding the PBL teaching style? what are your pros and cons of PBL??

thanks

I thought I would hate it, but after engaging in the process, I actually quite like it and think its a very useful way to organise the course.

PROS:
1) You're actively learning- no one is going to spoon feed you, you have to research things for yourself so you actually absorb some of the information
2) Kind of prepares you for real life- if you think about it, when you're actually a doctor, when you have a patient, no one is going to tell you the diagnosis etc- its a 'problem' for you to figure out. I feel that PBL helps prepare you for that because you get to practice using your 'detective skills' to figure stuff out. You wouldn't be able to do that with just lectures, where you often passively listen.

CONS
1) Obviously if you prefer being spoon-fed, you may find all the self-directed learning too much effort
2) It's a bit scary not knowing that whether what you've covered in PBL is enough breadth and depth for the exams. (That being said, the course is integrated, so we are also given lectures throughout the week, so we kind of get a rough idea of the breadth and depth)

hope this helps :smile:
Original post by ChocoBons
I thought I would hate it, but after engaging in the process, I actually quite like it and think its a very useful way to organise the course.

PROS:
1) You're actively learning- no one is going to spoon feed you, you have to research things for yourself so you actually absorb some of the information
2) Kind of prepares you for real life- if you think about it, when you're actually a doctor, when you have a patient, no one is going to tell you the diagnosis etc- its a 'problem' for you to figure out. I feel that PBL helps prepare you for that because you get to practice using your 'detective skills' to figure stuff out. You wouldn't be able to do that with just lectures, where you often passively listen.

CONS
1) Obviously if you prefer being spoon-fed, you may find all the self-directed learning too much effort
2) It's a bit scary not knowing that whether what you've covered in PBL is enough breadth and depth for the exams. (That being said, the course is integrated, so we are also given lectures throughout the week, so we kind of get a rough idea of the breadth and depth)

hope this helps :smile:

yep! thanks for the detailed information!!
one more thing, how is the town like? is there much to do? I'm afraid that Keele is a very quiet with limited stores/ shops and things to do.
Reply 83
Anyone heard anything yet?
Original post by Ain0208
Anyone heard anything yet?

One of my friends got a rejection from Keele today
Good luck to yall!
Reply 86
Original post by MedicMyZone
One of my friends got a rejection from Keele today

Omg really? Well that’s got me terrified now 😭
when do you think we can expect offers by, at the earliest?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MedGK
Nice to hear that you're enjoying it! I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but is the Maths test at Interview ranked or is it a just a singly-used test?(so if I were to get the pass mark, the test is no longer considered). Thanks.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm confused as well :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 89
So I called the admissions office today and asked them when we’d hear back. The lady stated that it was WAYYY to early to hear back yet as they only received the r&r forms last week (fair point). I then asked her when they’d send out invites and she said the earliest you’d hear back would be some time in December. So we’ve got a long way guys 😭
But I heard some people got rejections already
Original post by Ain0208
So I called the admissions office today and asked them when we’d hear back. The lady stated that it was WAYYY to early to hear back yet as they only received the r&r forms last week (fair point). I then asked her when they’d send out invites and she said the earliest you’d hear back would be some time in December. So we’ve got a long way guys 😭

I heard some people already got rejections tho ...
Did anyone fill in the box on the r&r form entitled exceptional achievements/ difficulties?
Reply 93
Original post by Ashley Laura
Did anyone fill in the box on the r&r form entitled exceptional achievements/ difficulties?

I did
Original post by elhb97
I did

same what did you write about? if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 95
For me it was about exceptional difficulties so I wrote about when I was really ill had loads of operations and could hardly walk basically don’t want to go into loads of detail about it but yeah basically about a illness which I’ve now got better from, what about you?
Reply 96
Has anyone else received an email from Keele asking for a confirmation about their UKCAT? 😊
Yes me
Reply 98
Original post by helloitsmeq23
Yes me

Oh ok thanks.. I wasn't sure because I thought the scores would have been sent off ? And none of my other UKCAT unis have asked.
I got the email a while ago tho

Latest

Trending

Trending