The Student Room Group

Best way to remember cell organelles

Basically, is there an easy way to remember the structure and function of all of the different eukaryotic cell organelles? Or do I just have to stick with it and keep reading until I remember it?
I found flash cards particularly helpful with this topic, printing off a picture of the organelle and sticking it on was a great visual air as well. Don't worry about it though, organelles come up so much in the course that you go over them so many times they will definitely go in at some stage!!
Reply 2
Original post by Ddraigdwr2
I found flash cards particularly helpful with this topic, printing off a picture of the organelle and sticking it on was a great visual air as well. Don't worry about it though, organelles come up so much in the course that you go over them so many times they will definitely go in at some stage!!

I had thought about using Flashcards, although I haven’t had much luck with them in the past I’ll give them anothe go. But, the printing off a picture and sticking it on is a GREAT idea!
Thank you for the advice :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cciaran
I had thought about using Flashcards, but I haven’t had much luck with them in the past. But, the printing off a picture and sticking it on is a GREAT idea!
Thank you for the advice :smile:

You're welcome! Happy to answer any other Qs, I'm in second year of studying AQA A level bio.
Original post by cciaran
Basically, is there an easy way to remember the structure and function of all of the different eukaryotic cell organelles? Or do I just have to stick with it and keep reading until I remember it?

Maybe a great mind map (say DIN A3) with a sketch of the cell and the organelles is a solution for you? the sketch in the center and the named organelles around it. Below the named organelles, you explain their functions by bullets and few words as possible. Hang the mind map up where you see this one daily.
Original post by cciaran

no
Reply 6
Original post by GuruOfEverything
no

Such an elaborate answer, thank you so much ☺️
Reply 7
Original post by Kallisto
Maybe a great mind map (say DIN A3) with a sketch of the cell and the organelles is a solution for you? the sketch in the center and the named organelles around it. Below the named organelles, you explain their functions by bullets and few words as possible. Hang the mind map up where you see this one daily.

Ooh great idea, thank you!! I’ve done that before for similar things and it has worked wonders :smile:
I'm assuming this is for Year 1 A-level Biology. I wouldn't worry, you cover them so much in other topics you end up just remembering them anyways. Everything from Digestion to respiration to plant roots and adaptations to environments- you'll learn them simply by seeing them everywhere
Reply 9
You're welcome! Happy to answer any other Qs, I'm in second year of studying AQA A level bio.

Do you know any websites I should look at to improve my bio grade from 7 to an 8. I particularly need help on variation and inheritance, so if you could tell me where to look, I would appreciate it.
Original post by Shaun304
Do you know any websites I should look at to improve my bio grade from 7 to an 8. I particularly need help on variation and inheritance, so if you could tell me where to look, I would appreciate it.

I'm assuming this is GCSE since the grading is 7 and 8? I actually didn't use the internet for GCSE biology, I only used it to print out the specification. For GCSE sciences, my best advice is to get the CGP revision guides and learn them cover to cover.
Original post by cciaran
Ooh great idea, thank you!! I’ve done that before for similar things and it has worked wonders :smile:

Nice to see that my suggestion is well received. To learn sophisticational lessons, it is helpful sometimes to be creative. :h:
Original post by Shaun304

Free science lessons on youtube
Original post by cciaran

Whatever method you choose to use, flash card or rewriting it's good to have a visual idea of what you're trying to remember.
It's much easier to remember that Lysosomes are the site of protein degradation for example if you draw a colored blob with the inside showing examples of catalytic enzymes as well of an acidic ph. You might draw something get chopped up to further strengthen the visual aid.

When I remember mitochrondria I visualise an organelle with a double membrane that with the inner membrane wavy to increase SA. It's not then hard to recall that it's the site of ATPgenesis with
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Niamh3213
Free science lessons on youtube

Thanks
I'm assuming this is GCSE since the grading is 7 and 8? I actually didn't use the internet for GCSE biology, I only used it to print out the specification. For GCSE sciences, my best advice is to get the CGP revision guides and learn them cover to cover.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending