The Student Room Group

Complex numbers help

Hi, I've got to evaluate (root3 - i)^4 divided by (-1 + i)^3, I've so far gotten to (-2 - 2root3) + (2 - 2root3)i, but I have to convert it to exponential form, and the question is non-calculator.

Scroll to see replies

If your answer is supposed to be in the form reiθr e^{i\theta}, then you need to convert 3i\sqrt{3} - i and 1+i-1 + i into this form and then use DeMoivre. It's not difficult - they are all "standard" angles.
Original post by jordanwu
Hi, I've got to evaluate (root3 - i)^4 divided by (-1 + i)^3, I've so far gotten to (-2 - 2root3) + (2 - 2root3)i, but I have to convert it to exponential form, and the question is non-calculator.

Draw a diagram and convert each complex number to the form reiθre^{i\theta}. That makes applying the powers, and dividing, a lot easier.
Reply 3
Original post by DFranklin
If your answer is supposed to be in the form reiθr e^{i\theta}, then you need to convert 3i\sqrt{3} - i and 1+i-1 + i into this form and then use DeMoivre. It's not difficult - they are all "standard" angles.

Ok, but I'm not sure if I've got the right exponential forms: 2e^i11/6pi and root2e^i3/4pi?
Reply 4
Ok, but I'm not sure if I've got the right exponential forms: 2e^i11/6pi and root2e^i3/4pi?

Yeah those are correct
Reply 5

Not too sure about how to use that on the exponential form
Not too sure about how to use that on the exponential form

Well, if 3i=2e16πi\sqrt{3}-i=2e^{-\frac{1}{6}\pi i} as you found, then (3i)4=(\sqrt{3}-i)^4=....?
Reply 7
Original post by RDKGames
Well, if 3i=2e16πi\sqrt{3}-i=2e^{-\frac{1}{6}\pi i} as you found, then (3i)4=(\sqrt{3}-i)^4=....?

Oh it's supposed to be -11/6pi? I've got 11/6pi

if you have w = re

then wk = rkeikΘ

e116πi=e16πie^{\frac{11}{6}\pi i}=e^{-\frac{1}{6}\pi i}
Reply 10
e116πi=e16πie^{\frac{11}{6}\pi i}=e^{-\frac{1}{6}\pi i}

Anywhere I can look that rule up? I've definitely forgotten it. So I have to do 2^4 and (e^-1/6pi*i)^4? And same with the exponential on the denominator?
Anywhere I can look that rule up? I've definitely forgotten it. So I have to do 2^4 and (e^-1/6pi*i)^4? And same with the exponential on the denominator?

You can remove (or add) any number of integer multiples of 2π2\pi, as it's removing complete revolutions from the angle.

An exponential form complex number eiθe^{i \theta} repeats itself every 2π2\pi so eiθ=ei(2πk+θ)e^{i \theta}=e^{i (2\pi k + \theta)} for nZn \in \mathbb{Z}

Pick θ=116π\theta= \frac{11}{6} \pi and k=1k=-1 and you arrive at the result I've shown. However, it is much more intuitive to mark down the complex number 3i\sqrt{3}-i on the complex plane, draw a line to it (its modulus), then notice how your angle is simply measured anticlockwise from R>0\mathbb{R}_{>0} while my angle is just measuring backwards (clockwise, hence the negative) to get my solution.

Anywho, yes you simply exponentiate these numbers to 4, then repeat similarly for the other complex number. Then you're simply in a position where you have reiθReiϕ\displaystyle \frac{re^{i \theta}}{Re^{i \phi}} which should be straight-forward to evaluate.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
An exponential form complex number eiθe^{i \theta} repeats itself every 2π2\pi so eiθ=ei(2πk+θ)e^{i \theta}=e^{i (2\pi k + \theta)} for nZn \in \mathbb{Z}

Pick θ=116π\theta= \frac{11}{6} \pi and k=1k=-1 and you arrive at the result I've shown. However, it is much more intuitive to mark down the complex number 3i\sqrt{3}-i on the complex plane, draw a line to it (its modulus), then notice how your angle is simply measured anticlockwise from R>0\mathbb{R}_{>0} while my angle is just measuring backwards (clockwise, hence the negative) to get my solution.

Anywho, yes you simply exponentiate these numbers to 4, then repeat similarly for the other complex number. Then you're simply in a position where you have reiθReiϕ\displaystyle \frac{re^{i \theta}}{Re^{i \phi}} which should be straight-forward to evaluate.

I'm not sure how to do (e^(11/6pi)i)^4
I'm not sure how to do (e^(11/6pi)i)^4
(ea)b=eab(e^a)^b = e^{ab}...
Reply 15
(ea)b=eab(e^a)^b = e^{ab}...

e^(22/3*pi^4*i^4)?
e^(22/3*pi^4*i^4)?

Ah dear, someone's forgot a GCSE rule.

You have z=(3i)4=(2e116πi)4z=(\sqrt{3}-i)^4=(2e^{\frac{11}{6}\pi i})^4

So... since (ea)b=eab(e^a)^b=e^{ab}, you simply have z=24e446πiz=2^4e^{\frac{44}{6}\pi i}
(edited 6 years ago)
e^(22/3*pi^4*i^4)?
No. Compare (e(11/6π)i)4(e^{(11/6\pi)i})^4 with the form (ea)b(e^a)^b.

What is a here?
What is b here?

So, then what is ab?

So what is eabe^{ab}?
Reply 18
Ah dear, someone's forgot a GCSE rule.

You have z=(3i)4=(e116πi)4z=(\sqrt{3}-i)^4=(e^{\frac{11}{6}\pi i})^4

So... since (ea)b=eab(e^a)^b=e^{ab}, you simply have z=e446πiz=e^{\frac{44}{6}\pi i}

Wow, what's wrong with me... don't even know how I got that. Ok, 16e^44/6pi*i / 2root2e^9/4pi*i?
Wow, what's wrong with me... don't even know how I got that. Ok, 16e^44/6pi*i / 2root2e^9/4pi*i?

Yeah

Quick Reply

Latest