The Student Room Group

Picked wrong subjects!!

Hi guys,

So I got my GCSE grades in August and got mostly Bs. I really wanted to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths and get into Medicine but couldn't due to my Maths grade. This means I'll have to resit maths and also redo year 12 to do science based A-Level next year if I want to get into Medicine. Is this worth it, will I get into Medicine?
To get medicine you need all three sciences as Bs and above with 2 others subjects with As,
Hope this helps
Reply 2
The problem is I am resitting Maths and only have 1 A in GCSEs. Also, like most people I am doing 3 years of A-Level whereas others are doing 2 years. Will this still affect my application?
Not all medicine courses require any specific grades in GCSEs and some merely require a token pass at C or above (and Cambridge is in the process of phasing out these GCSE requirements anyway). Additionally A-level Maths is not required by any course, and while useful if it's a problem for you specifically you would be better to take a non-STEM subject as your third option, which is welcomed by some (UCL notably has previously indicated a contrasting subject is considered valuable by their admissions team).

However in almost any circumstance taking A-levels over three years is likely to disadvantage you. While the subject change may make it more acceptable for some, it may be more prudent to take other subjects, excel in those and apply to 6 year courses for "subject changers" or an Access to Medicine course or similar. You may want to contact some of the universities you're considering applying to directly and asking them if they consider students who began non-STEM A-levels but changed to a full set of STEM subjects after a year and then completed those subjects (which were all different from the original ones) in a two year period.
Reply 4
Which Medical Schools accept candidates who took A-Levels over 3 years?
Reply 5
How hard is it to get into Graduate Medicine Degree?
Original post by Dagan01
How hard is it to get into Graduate Medicine Degree?

I got the same GCSE'S results and I'm redoing maths luckily i don't need to do 3 years of A levels. I did not give up my dream of doing medicine so at school I'm doing biology psychology and history. Also doing Chemistry at home. I have seen some uni's who don't look at GCSE'S but more UKCAT. So hopefully we smash that and work experience.
Reply 7
Original post by iamtheone19
I got the same GCSE'S results and I'm redoing maths luckily i don't need to do 3 years of A levels. I did not give up my dream of doing medicine so at school I'm doing biology psychology and history. Also doing Chemistry at home. I have seen some uni's who don't look at GCSE'S but more UKCAT. So hopefully we smash that and work experience.

OMG - really, and what year are you in now?
Original post by Dagan01
OMG - really, and what year are you in now?

Im in year 12 wbu.
Reply 9
Im in year 12 wbu.

I am also in year 12
(edited 6 years ago)
[QUOTE="Dagan01;74541236"]Which Medical Schools accept candidates who took A-Levels over 3 years?[/QUOTE
Original post by Dagan01
Which Medical Schools accept candidates who took A-Levels over 3 years?

A lot of unis want A levels done in two unless u got mitigating circumstances (I think they would regard a third year as resit?not 100% sure though)
I'm resitting and applied to BSMS HYMS Liverpool and Lancaster (some of these require AAB/ABB after two years though)
Others which accept resits include Exeter Plymouth UEA
Original post by Dagan01
I am also in year 12

Thats so good you can always do graduate medicine
[QUOTE="Gapmed2018;74599300"]
Original post by Dagan01
Which Medical Schools accept candidates who took A-Levels over 3 years?[/QUOTE

A lot of unis want A levels done in two unless u got mitigating circumstances (I think they would regard a third year as resit?not 100% sure though)
I'm resitting and applied to BSMS HYMS Liverpool and Lancaster (some of these require AAB/ABB after two years though)
Others which accept resits include Exeter Plymouth UEA

what are you doing a gap year tell me any advice
what are you doing a gap year tell me any advice

For the first two months I was focusing on admissions tests (ukcat and BMAT) along with my UCAS application

Recently I've been trying to get a job I've had an interview at Tesco (waiting for response) and also applied for a job with deliveroo
I've also got a volunteering role at a local healthcare centre

So the main things which i hope to be doing is working/volunteering , revising (resitting a level bio)

My advice would be to try and plan ahead (which I didn't) as thing will run more smoothly and also try and do something which you may not have time to do when your at uni
It could be anything your passionate about-I've been doing jiu jitsu,wrestling and a bit of mma (I hope I'll still have time to do it at uni but u never know so make the most of your time)

Are you on your gap year or planning to take one?

Have you found somewhere to do the practical element of the chemistry A-level? I know that can be difficult
Original post by 2childmum
Have you found somewhere to do the practical element of the chemistry A-level? I know that can be difficult

Its so hard to be honest
Original post by Gapmed2018
For the first two months I was focusing on admissions tests (ukcat and BMAT) along with my UCAS application

Recently I've been trying to get a job I've had an interview at Tesco (waiting for response) and also applied for a job with deliveroo
I've also got a volunteering role at a local healthcare centre

So the main things which i hope to be doing is working/volunteering , revising (resitting a level bio)

My advice would be to try and plan ahead (which I didn't) as thing will run more smoothly and also try and do something which you may not have time to do when your at uni
It could be anything your passionate about-I've been doing jiu jitsu,wrestling and a bit of mma (I hope I'll still have time to do it at uni but u never know so make the most of your time)

Are you on your gap year or planning to take one?

thats so good I've got an question to ask
Reply 17
So shall I redo year 12 considering, I have some work experience in medicine or just do a different degree and do Graduate Medicine after?

Quick Reply

Latest