The Student Room Group

Gcse art

Tips for annotations?

Would annotations be read even if they are very very long?
When annotating your own work, talk about why you used the materials you did and the strengths of your work. You should also write about areas of weakness or things you could improve. If it's a sketch remember to talk about the tonal work and the use of markings etc.
When analysing another artist's work, you should talk about what you like about it and the strengths within their work. It would also be helpful to try and link it to your own work and to talk about how you could progress in your own work with the inspiration of the artist's work.
To be honest, I don't really know if examiners really read annotations. I think the most important thing is to create as much development work as possible to show that you've really thought about the materials you're using, and doing a wide range helps a lot too, for example, pencil sketches, watercolours, collages, textiles, acrylics etc. Annotations are still really important though! Just make sure you write critically and analyse well and you should be fine.
Original post by Vanilla Twilight
When annotating your own work, talk about why you used the materials you did and the strengths of your work. You should also write about areas of weakness or things you could improve. If it's a sketch remember to talk about the tonal work and the use of markings etc.
When analysing another artist's work, you should talk about what you like about it and the strengths within their work. It would also be helpful to try and link it to your own work and to talk about how you could progress in your own work with the inspiration of the artist's work.
To be honest, I don't really know if examiners really read annotations. I think the most important thing is to create as much development work as possible to show that you've really thought about the materials you're using, and doing a wide range helps a lot too, for example, pencil sketches, watercolours, collages, textiles, acrylics etc. Annotations are still really important though! Just make sure you write critically and analyse well and you should be fine.

Thanks so much. I feel really confused because I’ve only been told that my annotations won’t be read because I’ve done too much however if I highlight key points I feel as though this may ruin my presentation.
Original post by Sharminkhan02
Thanks so much. I feel really confused because I’ve only been told that my annotations won’t be read because I’ve done too much however if I highlight key points I feel as though this may ruin my presentation.

No worries. Even if your annotations aren't read they're still needed and you'll lose loads of marks if you don't include them. I wrote a lot for my annotations too, but I think that's what helped me most in the end, because I was lacking in sufficient development work.
Original post by Vanilla Twilight
No worries. Even if your annotations aren't read they're still needed and you'll lose loads of marks if you don't include them. I wrote a lot for my annotations too, but I think that's what helped me most in the end, because I was lacking in sufficient development work.

Thank you. What grade did you get as a result of this
Original post by Sharminkhan02
Thank you. What grade did you get as a result of this

I was predicted A*s all year but I got an A in the end

Quick Reply

Latest