The Student Room Group

Do Grades Need Sunlight to Grow?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amefish
A couple might, it's definitely worth asking since I completely flopped this time!

Yes it's always worth asking :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amefish
It's horrid maths :eek: they chuck you in at the deep end!

I don't understand, do you mean the uni mocks? Or the school mocks?

The school mocks. Like the mid-term exams
Original post by Amefish
It's horrid maths :eek: they chuck you in at the deep end!

I don't understand, do you mean the uni mocks? Or the school mocks?

Hello? I'm waiting for your reply.
Reply 23
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Hello? I'm waiting for your reply.

Your AS grades get put on there, I wouldn't say mock exam results are usually explicitly given on your ucas, but they might play a part in the reference your teacher gives or the predicted grade they give you.
Reply 24

Update

I did my presentation for my Professional Development unit, yesterday and managed to get a grade of 86% which isn't as good as I was hoping for, but it's good enough! :biggrin: My presentation ended up being shorter than it needed to be and I wasn't sure I really knew what I was talking about, so I'm quite happy with my grade. I'm also writing my essay for this course unit at the minute, it's only 1100-1500 words but it's really boring so I've printed out a thermometer progress tracker to motivate myself (photos to come soon) :tongue:

My friend just got 20% on the data handling assessment for this week, so I'm really worried about doing that :redface: so today I spoke to my first year coordinator about my worries, and we're going to communicate it with the rest of the group to see if everyone is struggling with it.

I did this week's Scientific Problem Solving, and got a grade of 130/150 but I'm going to do it again because I think I'm capable of getting 100% and you can have multiple attempts :smile: so I will edit the OP with this grade when I've attempted it again, probably tomorrow!
Original post by Amefish

Update

I did my presentation for my Professional Development unit, yesterday and managed to get a grade of 86% which isn't as good as I was hoping for, but it's good enough! :biggrin: My presentation ended up being shorter than it needed to be and I wasn't sure I really knew what I was talking about, so I'm quite happy with my grade. I'm also writing my essay for this course unit at the minute, it's only 1100-1500 words but it's really boring so I've printed out a thermometer progress tracker to motivate myself (photos to come soon) :tongue:

My friend just got 20% on the data handling assessment for this week, so I'm really worried about doing that :redface: so today I spoke to my first year coordinator about my worries, and we're going to communicate it with the rest of the group to see if everyone is struggling with it.

I did this week's Scientific Problem Solving, and got a grade of 130/150 but I'm going to do it again because I think I'm capable of getting 100% and you can have multiple attempts :smile: so I will edit the OP with this grade when I've attempted it again, probably tomorrow!

seems like you’ve had a great day! well done on your presentation, 86% is definitely good enough :biggrin: we all get that feeling though - when we know we could have done better!

ooh what’s a thermometer progress tracker?! (eager to see the photo lol...)

i’m sure you’ll be okay with the data handling assessment :smile:

i love your gyg! i’ll definitely continue to follow it - good luck x
Reply 26
Original post by clouddbubbles
seems like you’ve had a great day! well done on your presentation, 86% is definitely good enough :biggrin: we all get that feeling though - when we know we could have done better!

ooh what’s a thermometer progress tracker?! (eager to see the photo lol...)

i’m sure you’ll be okay with the data handling assessment :smile:

i love your gyg! i’ll definitely continue to follow it - good luck x

It's just basically like a plain outline of a thermometer that you can colour in as you progress! I'll show you when I've done more work, it's a bit bare at the moment :colondollar: I'm glad you're enjoying my GYG! It could definitely be more exciting though :rofl: I need to think of some innovative ideas
Original post by Amefish
It's just basically like a plain outline of a thermometer that you can colour in as you progress! I'll show you when I've done more work, it's a bit bare at the moment :colondollar: I'm glad you're enjoying my GYG! It could definitely be more exciting though :rofl: I need to think of some innovative ideas

ohh okay! self explanatory then... i need one!!!

everyone says they like my GYG but i just think it’s the same old same old?! so i suppose you could see what i do but it’s pretty similar?!

i think the main thing to do is to get the audience involved but you already do that really sooo... idk? we must all be more innovative in our GYG’s :smile:
Reply 28
ohh okay! self explanatory then... i need one!!!

everyone says they like my GYG but i just think it’s the same old same old?! so i suppose you could see what i do but it’s pretty similar?!

i think the main thing to do is to get the audience involved but you already do that really sooo... idk? we must all be more innovative in our GYG’s :smile:

I've seen your GYG, it's featured isn't it? :biggrin: Looking amaze! I think I just need more graphics in mine :tongue:
Original post by Amefish

gyg.png

Who am I?

In case you haven't seen me around before, my name is Amethyst, which contrary to popular belief, isn't the reason I chose my degree programme or the reason I dyed my hair purple :rolleyes: I'm a member of the TSR Study Help Support Team and I'm currently studying Environmental Science (1st year) at the University of Manchester :biggrin:

I made this blog mainly to track my progress, make sure I always stay on top of my game, organise my life, etc., but I also made this blog to track my volunteering hours and extracurricular activities that might enhance my CV or go towards my progress in getting the Manchester Leadership Award :eek:

I've not done many assessments up to yet, but I'm going to keep a log of them all below. You can also see I'm struggling with the data handling in lab science :colondollar:
Course units and grade averages with weightings so far:

1 Semester

2 Semester

So next comes my volunteering hours, which are noted below. I will be doing Incredible Edible volunteering regularly hopefully, so watch that number increase and look out for photos :h: I'll also be helping a student with her project on Drosophila melanogaster until the end of the semester, so I'll note that down too! However, I'm not sure that'll go towards the award.

Volunteering log

Finally comes the other extracurricular activities, some are more relevant than others!

Extracurricular activites

This was so aesthetically pleasing I forgot the question...
Reply 30
Original post by Amylololol
This was so aesthetically pleasing I forgot the question...

Haha thank you :colondollar: I need to keep the momentum going :tongue:
Original post by Amefish
I've seen your GYG, it's featured isn't it? :biggrin: Looking amaze! I think I just need more graphics in mine :tongue:

yes it is! (i don’t know how? i honestly stole ideas from other blogs then made it my own?!)

thank you heheh :smile:
me too! graphics on GYG’s are SO beautiful but i haven’t really introduced that to mine yet - i like the little quote in your introductory post though, so something like that would be perfect
Reply 32
yes it is! (i don’t know how? i honestly stole ideas from other blogs then made it my own?!)

thank you heheh :smile:
me too! graphics on GYG’s are SO beautiful but i haven’t really introduced that to mine yet - i like the little quote in your introductory post though, so something like that would be perfect

I've had so many blogs on TSR that I never actually regularly updated and some of them were complete flops :redface: and then I learnt to take inspiration from others too, and this GYG I'm actually semi happy with :biggrin: there are so many opportunities, you can keep making your blog better every time (not that you need to :tongue:)
Original post by Amefish
I've had so many blogs on TSR that I never actually regularly updated and some of them were complete flops :redface: and then I learnt to take inspiration from others too, and this GYG I'm actually semi happy with :biggrin: there are so many opportunities, you can keep making your blog better every time (not that you need to :tongue:)

well hopefully this blog will be different! it has potential :wink:

i guess what we’ve learnt is taht it’s important to be inspired by others as it will make you more creative?!
idek what i’m on about now but anyways, i agree with how there are lots of opportunities:smile:
Reply 34

Update

A quick update on the data handling assessment that I was worried about! I did the practice questions 3 times, getting the following scores: 0/4, 2/4, 4/4. Then I had to do the actual assessment, and I somehow achieved 100% :biggrin: gave myself a disgusting migraine, but it's worth it :tongue:
Following!! Really like this, looking forward to seeing how you progress through your first year :biggrin:

What made you choose Environmental Science? What exactly does it involve? :colondollar: I'm a bit clueless y'see...
Original post by Amefish

Update

A quick update on the data handling assessment that I was worried about! I did the practice questions 3 times, getting the following scores: 0/4, 2/4, 4/4. Then I had to do the actual assessment, and I somehow achieved 100% :biggrin: gave myself a disgusting migraine, but it's worth it :tongue:

yay 100%!
well done :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by Protostar
Following!! Really like this, looking forward to seeing how you progress through your first year :biggrin:

What made you choose Environmental Science? What exactly does it involve? :colondollar: I'm a bit clueless y'see...

Geology, atmospheric physics, ecology... and a whole load of maths that you don't expect :redface: it's a really flexible degree!

yay 100%!
well done :biggrin:

Thank you :five: had to jump straight to fb messenger to tell my dad :laugh:
Original post by Amefish
Geology, atmospheric physics, ecology... and a whole load of maths that you don't expect :redface: it's a really flexible degree!

Oooh! Sounds really interesting :thumbsup: (there's nothing wrong with unexpected maths :ninja: think of it as a surprise gift :wink:)
Reply 39
Original post by Protostar
Oooh! Sounds really interesting :thumbsup: (there's nothing wrong with unexpected maths :ninja: think of it as a surprise gift :wink:)

To be fair, I feel a sense of achievement every time I (successfully) complete any maths, so I guess it is a surprise gift :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending