Queen_Petal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Im not quite sure what to pick for my GCSE's. ^^ What shall I pick both or one of them?^^^ Comment what you think^^^ Be nice^.^
Mohamedjama
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do both, I personally like history better because it's better, but geography is also fun. ( History is better)
Queen_Petal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mohamedjama)
I do both, I personally like history better because it's better, but geography is also fun. ( History is better)
k thanks jama for your opinion
erinlucy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I never did well in history in years 7,8 & 9. However, i was always really good at geography - achieving high grades, but i found it very boring. Anyway, i initially picked geography but swapped it to history last minute - one of the best decisions i've made regarding school/education. I lovvvvvee history. Its just so interesting, and i love learning about it. I am getting 7 and my worst has been 6. They aren't the 'best' grades you can get but they are still pretty good. I think that just shows that despite it not being my best subject before, because it was something i enjoyed, i got good at it because i am genuinely interested and i enjoy it.
So firstly, go with what you enjoy.
Secondly, i'd say if you enjoy things like philosophy for an example, and writing essays and giving a point of view, then history will be the one for you. Lots of the questions under my exam board in my first paper require you to argue what factors are the most important etc. so this is very good for me considering i liked philosophy - but don't get me wrong - not all the questions are like this, some of them are based on consequences, so you have to right about how events occurred, their causes, dates and consequences...this is with edexcel...and there are others about sources.
if you prefer things like maths, more black and white subjects, with either a wrong or right answer, then i'd pick geography.
Hope this helps! I'd recomend History, but it depends on the type of person you are, so like i said, go with the one that interests you most - or both if you are stuck for what else to pick and you like both.

also, im defo going to do history for a-level, its just the best subject - i get a buzz out of revising for it. Also history has the best trips
Queen_Petal
Rep:
?
(Original post by erinlucy)
I never did well in history in years 7,8 & 9. However, i was always really good at geography - achieving high grades, but i found it very boring. Anyway, i initially picked geography but swapped it to history last minute - one of the best decisions i've made regarding school/education. I lovvvvvee history. Its just so interesting, and i love learning about it. I am getting 7 and my worst has been 6. They aren't the 'best' grades you can get but they are still pretty good. I think that just shows that despite it not being my best subject before, because it was something i enjoyed, i got good at it because i am genuinely interested and i enjoy it.
So firstly, go with what you enjoy.
Secondly, i'd say if you enjoy things like philosophy for an example, and writing essays and giving a point of view, then history will be the one for you. Lots of the questions under my exam board in my first paper require you to argue what factors are the most important etc. so this is very good for me considering i liked philosophy - but don't get me wrong - not all the questions are like this, some of them are based on consequences, so you have to right about how events occurred, their causes, dates and consequences...this is with edexcel...and there are others about sources.
if you prefer things like maths, more black and white subjects, with either a wrong or right answer, then i'd pick geography.
Hope this helps! I'd recomend History, but it depends on the type of person you are, so like i said, go with the one that interests you most - or both if you are stuck for what else to pick and you like both.
Thank you for your feedback! =D I rlly appreciate it!!
erinlucy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Queen_Petal)
Thank you for your feedback! =D I rlly appreciate it!!
thats okay! Just remember: go with what you enjoy most, dont pick a subject out of practicality because you get good grades now, if you dont enjoy it, because you wont be motivated to study - you'll get bored, and your grades will slip.
Queen_Petal
Rep:
?
(Original post by erinlucy)
thats okay! Just remember: go with what you enjoy most, dont pick a subject out of practicality because you get good grades now, if you dont enjoy it, because you wont be motivated to study - you'll get bored, and your grades will slip.
Thats quite true! Thank you!!! <3
Snazzyzebra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Queen_Petal)
Im not quite sure what to pick for my GCSE's. ^^ What shall I pick both or one of them?^^^ Comment what you think^^^ Be nice^.^

If you like reading, analysis and discussing the past, and consider yourself academic, pick History.

If you like colouring in, and want to spend perhaps your time at university studying volcanos, glaciers, animals, human populations.... pick geography.

Each subject has a very broad field of study. Do what you enjoy. I'd recommend something creative as GCSE that you can have fun in and doss as you won't have that luxury at A-level, so make the most of it while you can. A good set of GCSEs might be 1) a language 2) History or Geography 3) something creative like art or graphic design 4) insert your own choice here

have fun, enjoy life
Queen_Petal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snazzyzebra)
If you like reading, analysis and discussing the past, and consider yourself academic, pick History.

If you like colouring in, and want to spend perhaps your time at university studying volcanos, glaciers, animals, human populations.... pick geography.

Each subject has a very broad field of study. Do what you enjoy. I'd recommend something creative as GCSE that you can have fun in and doss as you won't have that luxury at A-level, so make the most of it while you can. A good set of GCSEs might be 1) a language 2) History or Geography 3) something creative like art or graphic design 4) insert your own choice here

have fun, enjoy life
Thank you ^.^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.1%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.91%

Watched Threads