The Student Room Group

EmilySarah00’s 2017/18 struggle to University (A*AA)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by R2D2IsASith
Damn, is moments in M2 really that bad? Everyone in my school complains about how much sense it doesn't make.
Also, STRANGER THINGS 2! What a masterpiece. What other shows are you into?

I just don't really click with mechanics to be honest, but even my friend who takes physics was struggling a bit so I felt slightly less alone!

And yesss, I've only just finished the fourth episode so I have a long way to go yet but it's getting very intense. I like a huge range of shows to be honest, I feel like I've binge watched a solid half of all Netflix series'. One of my favourites is gossip girl though (like the basic white girl I am :laugh:)
Original post by EmilySarah00
13/11/17 Update - Triple Maths Monday :woo: :
After a poor excuse for a slice of pizza for lunch

So after school I first went out for a Costa (it's an addiction) then watched the next episode of Stranger Things 2 (also an addiction.) The Costa made me feel quite ill to be honest but I carried on with my night regardless.
Look after yourself please.:sadnod:
Original post by 04MR17
Look after yourself please.:sadnod:

I am don’t worry! :yep: :hugs:
Those GCSE grades are not particularly bad, A*/B's overall is excellent to be quite frank.
Although I don't study at oxford....
You should be fine on the MAT as long as you prepare adequately and as long as you achieve the pass mark.....
do bear in mind those posting scores of 80% on your preparation board/ forum have probably only done practice tests (the real test could vary quite dramatically in terms of content)

Good luck, Per aspera ad astra
Woww! I like your posts so much!! I’m in yr12 now:smile:) Can I get tagged:P
Original post by Dodo0099
Those GCSE grades are not particularly bad, A*/B's overall is excellent to be quite frank.
Although I don't study at oxford....
You should be fine on the MAT as long as you prepare adequately and as long as you achieve the pass mark.....
do bear in mind those posting scores of 80% on your preparation board/ forum have probably only done practice tests (the real test could vary quite dramatically in terms of content)

Good luck, Per aspera ad astra

Thank you :yep:

Sadly the MAT is now over and I didn’t perform too great, in fact not great at all, so I’m just awaiting the rejection :laugh:

But thanks again!
Original post by Sherryew
Woww! I like your posts so much!! I’m in yr12 now:smile:) Can I get tagged:P

I’ll add you to the tag list now! :grin:
No problem, glad to be of asistance
14/11/17 Update - Work Mode Activated :ninjagirl: :

Today I only had 2 lessons but I managed to get quite a lot done regardless. So this morning I gave myself the minimal possible time to get ready which wasn't even quite enough time for me to do everything I needed... good going Emily! Then I almost missed the bus as per usual, this is a habit I really need to get myself out of because running around in circles is never a good way to start my day. :groovy:

First lesson I had was Computer Science in which we recapped some AS theory on Binary and Hexadecimal numbers. This came back to me quite easily but some others in the class struggled (admittedly our teacher last year was dreadful.) We therefore spent the whole lesson just doing Binary, Denary and Hexadecimal conversions on the whiteboard, so it was a rather laid back hour for me.

The second and final lesson I had today was Further Maths, luckily it was Decision 2 because I've quite frankly had enough of Mechanics 2. We just did 2 past paper questions on the Hungarian Algorithm, but idiot me forgot to bring my notes from the lesson before on which I'd already copied out the first question, so I had to copy it out again, leaving me lagging behind for the rest of the lesson :facepalm:

After a lovely trip to Costa for lunch (It's really an addiction) in which I spent a lot of time talking about Maths and Computer Science, because I'm keen like that. I came back home and first finished the Decision 2 question which I didn't manage to finish in lesson, although it took much longer than I thought it would to be honest. I then began another Computer Science revision poster on which I made fairly brief notes on the topics we went through in lesson today. I just focused on making it look pretty because I'm super excited to expand on my revision poster wall. :giggle:

The rest of my evening was spent back on my Computer Science coursework as I'm spending as much time as possible attempting to program it at the minute. After my friend gave me some rather useful advice, plus using a bit of my own logic I managed to both fix the two errors that I was having with the GUI yesterday, and condense some horrific if statements within my program as well. :rofl: I really don't know what I'm going to do with my program next, It's getting ever more confusing so I appear to have come to a grinding halt with it now. :eek3:

The coursework struggle is ongoing :afraid:... until tomorrow,
- Emily x

You lot all deserve a medal :king1::

Spoiler

Today I only had 2 lessons but I managed to get quite a lot done regardless. So this morning I gave myself the minimal possible time to get ready which wasn't even quite enough time for me to do everything I needed... good going Emily! Then I almost missed the bus as per usual, this is a habit I really need to get myself out of because running around in circles is never a good way to start my day. :groovy:

First lesson I had was Computer Science in which we recapped some AS theory on Binary and Hexadecimal numbers. This came back to me quite easily but some others in the class struggled (admittedly our teacher last year was dreadful.) We therefore spent the whole lesson just doing Binary, Denary and Hexadecimal conversions on the whiteboard, so it was a rather laid back hour for me.

The second and final lesson I had today was Further Maths, luckily it was Decision 2 because I've quite frankly had enough of Mechanics 2. We just did 2 past paper questions on the Hungarian Algorithm, but idiot me forgot to bring my notes from the lesson before on which I'd already copied out the first question, so I had to copy it out again, leaving me lagging behind for the rest of the lesson :facepalm:

After a lovely trip to Costa for lunch (It's really an addiction) in which I spent a lot of time talking about Maths and Computer Science, because I'm keen like that. I came back home and first finished the Decision 2 question which I didn't manage to finish in lesson, although it took much longer than I thought it would to be honest. I then began another Computer Science revision poster on which I made fairly brief notes on the topics we went through in lesson today. I just focused on making it look pretty because I'm super excited to expand on my revision poster wall. :giggle:

The rest of my evening was spent back on my Computer Science coursework as I'm spending as much time as possible attempting to program it at the minute. After my friend gave me some rather useful advice, plus using a bit of my own logic I managed to both fix the two errors that I was having with the GUI yesterday, and condense some horrific if statements within my program as well. :rofl: I really don't know what I'm going to do with my program next, It's getting ever more confusing so I appear to have come to a grinding halt with it now. :eek3:

- Emily x

Spoiler

I.want.a.costa :sad:
Then I almost missed the bus as per usual, this is a habit I really need to get myself out of because running around in circles is never a good way to start my day. :groovy:

After a lovely trip to Costa for lunch (It's really an addiction)
:afraid: I have to say I don't like your buses.:nope: The 85 scares me.:frown:

:unimpressed:

- Emily x

Spoiler

Ooo I remember binary, denary and hexadecimal from my GCSE days, it was pretty much the only thing out teacher managed to teach us :colonhash:.

I hope your coursework work goes better tomorrow! :biggrin:
Original post by RoyalSheepy
I.want.a.costa :sad:

Says the one that can actually drive :laugh:

Original post by 04MR17
:afraid: I have to say I don't like your buses.:nope: The 85 scares me.:frown:

:unimpressed:

I mean the 85 goes through some pretty sucky places so I'm hardly surprised. People on my busses scare me too :cry2:

Original post by agaaga1010
Ooo I remember binary, denary and hexadecimal from my GCSE days, it was pretty much the only thing out teacher managed to teach us :colonhash:.

I hope your coursework work goes better tomorrow! :biggrin:

Binary, denary and hex are pretty relaxing not gonna lie :giggle:
And thank you I need all the good wishes for my coursework that I can get! :grin:

- Emily x

Spoiler

Ngl don’t think I’ve ever had anything from Costa before (maybe because coffee is horrendous), anyways have fun with your coursework👍🏾 I had enough of that with design and art GCSEs
I love your little notes before the tags, they always make me smile☺️
Original post by zq01
Ngl don’t think I’ve ever had anything from Costa before (maybe because coffee is horrendous), anyways have fun with your coursework👍🏾 I had enough of that with design and art GCSEs

I think coffee is pretty grim too to be honest, I just live off the hot chocolate in there!

And trust me I won’t have fun with Coursework, it’s the bane of my life!

Original post by astro-hannah
I love your little notes before the tags, they always make me smile☺️

I do try :wink2:
15/11/17 Update - Absolutely Exhausted :sleep: :

I've been feeling rather off today, not sure if it's my lack of sleep, how stressed I keep getting, the medical issues I'm having at the minute or a combination of the three, but I've just not at all been feeling myself. Plus I've also just had absolutely no appetite all day which doesn't help either. :K:

So this morning I was awoken at 6AM after a measly 5 hours sleep. I dragged myself into the shower and out of the house ready to get the bus at just gone 7AM. Because the bus times are so dodgy we always have tons of extra time before form on Wednesday's and Thursday's, so in this time we usually go for a McDonalds breakfast. Today was no break from this tradition however my breakfast was my only substantial meal of the day.

We had an extended form time this morning where we were supposed to do some sort of enrichment work but my computer decided to not work, and since I was so tired I just took that as a sign that I should do nothing. I also managed to completely humiliate myself in front of my form teacher this morning, I won't go into the details as it's a little bit PG-13 but safe to say I'm glad my form teacher is female. :facepalm:

First lesson I had Maths with my Mechanics 1 (ugh..) teacher, I just did a few exam questions on Forces in preparation for a test on Friday. I was so tired through the entirety of this hour I could hardly keep my eyes open, this lead to me making a fair few stupid mistakes but I pulled it all back by the end. Then second lesson I had Computer Science in which we did a recap on Binary addition and subtraction. I found this rather easy since I spend my whole life doing maths as it is, so I didn't really have any issues that lesson.

Then I was done for the day, I wasted an hour of my time going to the doctors during period 3 where I was just completely messed around with, so that wasn't a great event for this already rather tiring day (plus I'm still none the wiser when they'll actually give me my prescription.) I spent the afternoon just chilling out to try and revitalise myself for doing work this evening. :yep:

Tonight I did just over an hour's work on 3 pages worth of Decision 1 Hungarian Algorithm exam style questions that came from a Further Maths cover work sheet. I still have 1 question left to finish on that as I'd completely had enough of drawing tables after doing the first 3. I then proceeded to work on my Computer Science revision poster that I began yesterday, which I have now made 2 lessons worth of notes on. I just added binary addition and subtraction to the poster as that is what we did in lesson today. So I'm making notes at the same time we're going through the recap lessons, keeping me up to speed.

Now I'm just absolutely exhausted, not quite sure how I'm still functioning to be frank. I'm going to finish off drinking my rather weak and wimpy hot chocolate and then go to bed shortly after. Sadly even sleeping now won't get me as much sleep as I need because I'm up at 6AM again tomorrow for an early and full day at college (hooray.. :sad:)

Until then,
- Emily x

Hope you're all getting more sleep than me!:

Spoiler

15/11/17 Update - Absolutely Exhausted :sleep: :

I've been feeling rather off today, not sure if it's my lack of sleep, how stressed I keep getting, the medical issues I'm having at the minute or a combination of the three, but I've just not at all been feeling myself. Plus I've also just had absolutely no appetite all day which doesn't help either. :K:

So this morning I was awoken at 6AM after a measly 5 hours sleep. I dragged myself into the shower and out of the house ready to get the bus at just gone 7AM. Because the bus times are so dodgy we always have tons of extra time before form on Wednesday's and Thursday's, so in this time we usually go for a McDonalds breakfast. Today was no break from this tradition however my breakfast was my only substantial meal of the day.

We had an extended form time this morning where we were supposed to do some sort of enrichment work but my computer decided to not work, and since I was so tired I just took that as a sign that I should do nothing. I also managed to completely humiliate myself in front of my form teacher this morning, I won't go into the details as it's a little bit PG-13 but safe to say I'm glad my form teacher is female. :facepalm:

First lesson I had Maths with my Mechanics 1 (ugh..) teacher, I just did a few exam questions on Forces in preparation for a test on Friday. I was so tired through the entirety of this hour I could hardly keep my eyes open, this lead to me making a fair few stupid mistakes but I pulled it all back by the end. Then second lesson I had Computer Science in which we did a recap on Binary addition and subtraction. I found this rather easy since I spend my whole life doing maths as it is, so I didn't really have any issues that lesson.

Then I was done for the day, I wasted an hour of my time going to the doctors during period 3 where I was just completely messed around with, so that wasn't a great event for this already rather tiring day (plus I'm still none the wiser when they'll actually give me my prescription.) I spent the afternoon just chilling out to try and revitalise myself for doing work this evening. :yep:

Tonight I did just over an hour's work on 3 pages worth of Decision 1 Hungarian Algorithm exam style questions that came from a Further Maths cover work sheet. I still have 1 question left to finish on that as I'd completely had enough of drawing tables after doing the first 3. I then proceeded to work on my Computer Science revision poster that I began yesterday, which I have now made 2 lessons worth of notes on. I just added binary addition and subtraction to the poster as that is what we did in lesson today. So I'm making notes at the same time we're going through the recap lessons, keeping me up to speed.

Now I'm just absolutely exhausted, not quite sure how I'm still functioning to be frank. I'm going to finish off drinking my rather weak and wimpy hot chocolate and then go to bed shortly after. Sadly even sleeping now won't get me as much sleep as I need because I'm up at 6AM again tomorrow for an early and full day at college (hooray.. :sad:)

Until then,
- Emily x

Hope you're all getting more sleep than me!:

Spoiler

Get some sleeeeeeeeeeeep Em :lol: :hugs:
Original post by 04MR17
:goodnight:

That smiley perfectly describes my current emotion

Original post by RoyalSheepy
Get some sleeeeeeeeeeeep Em :lol: :hugs:

I will dooo! :bawling:
You should sleep too Sheepy :hugs: