The Student Room Group

Am I choosing the right a-level options for a career?

Hi, In a few months I have to pick my a-level options. At the moment I am thinking of doing biology,psychology and geography. I have chosen these subjects because I find them very interesting an intriguing plus I am doing really good in GCSE biology and geography.(However we didn't have a GCSE psychology option). My question is that will these subjects go well together to provide some sort of career to do with medicine.
if you wanna do medicine (ie become a doctor) you gotta take chemistry.
UCAS says : "Minimum of three A levels at grades AAA or AAB in chemistry and either biology, physics or maths, plus another academic subject"
(https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/hospital-doctor)

So you would need to replace Geography or Psychology with Chemistry if you intend to do three A Levels.
Original post by sxm_72
Hi, In a few months I have to pick my a-level options. At the moment I am thinking of doing biology,psychology and geography. I have chosen these subjects because I find them very interesting an intriguing plus I am doing really good in GCSE biology and geography.(However we didn't have a GCSE psychology option). My question is that will these subjects go well together to provide some sort of career to do with medicine.

In order to do medicine you definitely need chemistry and ideally biology too. I currently do biology, chemistry and psychology and I think it's a really nice combination of subjects, but if you love geography then you could go with that. You only need 3 sciences if you're looking at Cambridge, other than that you only need chemistry (and biology for the vast majority of medical schools)
Reply 4
Original post by Deliciate
if you wanna do medicine (ie become a doctor) you gotta take chemistry.

is chemistry needed for every science/medicine career?
Reply 5
Original post by JennLousie
In order to do medicine you definitely need chemistry and ideally biology too. I currently do biology, chemistry and psychology and I think it's a really nice combination of subjects, but if you love geography then you could go with that. You only need 3 sciences if you're looking at Cambridge, other than that you only need chemistry (and biology for the vast majority of medical schools)

Isn't it difficult balancing all three sciences? Also is a-level chemistry really difficult?
Original post by sxm_72

yes pretty much
Original post by sxm_72
Isn't it difficult balancing all three sciences? Also is a-level chemistry really difficult?

I found chemistry rough at the start as our GCSE missed out basic concepts like moles so our whole class were behind but because so many concepts are brought up time and time again, you get a lot of practice at it. I also find that psychology isn't as tough as the other sciences- I have a really good memory and the OCR course that I'm doing basically relies on the ability to put knowledge into PEEL paragraphs so as long as you revise you should be okay.
Original post by sxm_72

basically yes, even if you dont decide to be a doctor and instead study biology at uni, chemistry is still highly favourable. if you want to study any science related course in uni you should try to take two sciences (chemistry, biology, physics or maths). if you wanna study medicine then you must study chemistry (that is an essential subject) + another science -- preferably biology.

Quick Reply

Latest