The Student Room Group

Six universities told to change advertising claims

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41984465

'Everyone in the Top 10 for something'

Scroll to see replies

Leicester,noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Spoiler

im soo surprised
leicester?! omy..

one of my choices...
Got an interview from Leicester.. >.<
Original post by MagicalMedic

gdluck :smile:
Reply 6
If you have to put a lot of effort into advertising a uni, it's probably not very good.
It literally just needs a tiny bit of smallprint that goes "according to [publication]'s rankings". Why they've not bothered to do that is beyond me.
Original post by soIiIoquy
leicester?! omy..

one of my choices...

Original post by MagicalMedic

tbf lads it doesn't mean the uni is bad, just that the advertising departments are absolute madmen. I think that's more or less the same for all Unis bar Oxbridge and St Andrews who mostly just let the prestige carry the team.

Gl with ur applications kids
Most applicants look at tens of university websites and they quickly become aware of the shtick. It is by no means good practice, but I don't think there is much potential for applicants to be misled. Besides if you truly believe that Teesside is the best in the UK for long-term employment, you deserve to be hoodwinked.
Not surprised given how much more universities are spending on marketing to students... read somewhere before that only three universities in the UK, Oxbridge and St Andrews, spend nothing at all on advertising to students.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Capricancer
Not surprised given how much more universities are spending on marketing to students... read somewhere before that only three universities in the UK, Oxbridge and St Andrews, spend nothing at all on advertising to students.

Yes, but those are already brands. They have a long history in the back.

These 6 universities don't have hundrends of years (some of them don't have even 50 years). Of course they will pay a lot for adverts.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
It literally just needs a tiny bit of smallprint that goes "according to [publication]'s rankings". Why they've not bothered to do that is beyond me.

tbf lads it doesn't mean the uni is bad, just that the advertising departments are absolute madmen. I think that's more or less the same for all Unis bar Oxbridge and St Andrews who mostly just let the prestige carry the team.

true point.

Falmouth University has been told to stop describing itself as "the UK's number one arts university" or "the UK's number one creative university".

Name says it all really, doesn't it :h:

Original post by Retired_Messiah

Because what publication says it speaks volumes.

Ratings only really count for much if they come from the broadsheet publications (e.g. The Guardian, The Times etc.). Papers like The Sun, The Star etc., aren't exactly known for their intellectual content (they have the reading age of a 9 year old ffs), so would lose all credibility if they said that.

What about the Lasses, or don't they count? :wink:

Although with Oxbridge, it very much depends on which college you go to... as their reputation varies substantially within them. Oxbridge colleges are like min-universities within them. For example, there are some very well known colleges (e.g. Trinity (CAM) Corpus Christi (OXF / CAM) that may well have the future Prime Minister, but there are less well known colleges (e.g. New Hall (now Murray Edwards) (CAM)) who's greatest claim to fame is getting owned by Nottingham University in a 1997 episode of University Challenge.

Having said that, I concur that simply having the name "University of Oxford / Cambirdge" will be worth its weight in gold... regardless of what college was attended.
"World's top 1%" is a common slogan for many universities worldwide because it sounds good and is not that difficult to achieve, when there are more than 20000 universities in the world.

Perhaps Leicester isn't even Top 200 globally?

The Acts of Union were passed in 1706 and 1707, creating the United Kingdom.

University of Oxford was founded in or before the year 1096.

University of Cambridge was founded in the year 1209.

University of St Andrews was founded in the year 1410.

University of Glasgow was founded in the year 1451.

University of Aberdeen was founded in the year 1495.

University of Edinburgh was founded in the year 1583.

Marischal College was founded in the year 1593, and merged into The University of Aberdeen in the year 1860.

---

University of Dublin, now known as Trinity College Dublin and is in today's the Republic of Ireland, was founded in the year 1592.

At no point in the history of the UK were there only 3 universities in the country, and you'd still be wrong if you consider the "UK" to have started from the personal union of the crowns, with the ascend of His Majesty The King James, first King of Scots, later King of England, King of Ireland, King of France in the year 1603.
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Although with Oxbridge, it very much depends on which college you go to... as their reputation varies substantially within them. Oxbridge colleges are like min-universities within them. For example, there are some very well known colleges (e.g. Trinity (CAM) Corpus Christi (OXF / CAM) that may well have the future Prime Minister, but there are less well known colleges (e.g. New Hall (now Murray Edwards) (CAM)) who's greatest claim to fame is getting owned by Nottingham University in a 1997 episode of University Challenge.

Corpus Christi College, Cambridge never produced a British prime minister, neither has Corpus Christi College, Oxford.

In the real world, no-one actually cares about which college one attended, for the simple fact that very, very few actually know any of the colleges.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
The Acts of Union were passed in 1706 and 1707, creating the United Kingdom.

University of Oxford was founded in or before the year 1096.

University of Cambridge was founded in the year 1209.

University of St Andrews was founded in the year 1410.

University of Glasgow was founded in the year 1451.

University of Aberdeen was founded in the year 1495.

University of Edinburgh was founded in the year 1583.

Marischal College was founded in the year 1593, and merged into The University of Aberdeen in the year 1860.

---

University of Dublin, now known as Trinity College Dublin and is in today's the Republic of Ireland, was founded in the year 1592.

At no point in the history of the UK were there only 3 universities in the country, and you'd still be wrong if you consider the "UK" to have started from the personal union of the crowns, with the ascend of His Majesty The King James, first King of Scots, later King of England, King of Ireland, King of France in the year 1603.

ehh.. when did I say that there are only three universities in the UK?
ehh.. when did I say that there are only three universities in the UK?

Your comment was ungrammatical so it's difficult to pinpoint where, but it'd be an inaccurate claim regardless, to say Oxbridge and St Andrews didn't spend anything at all, or that they were the only ones who did not.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Your comment was ungrammatical so it's difficult to pinpoint where, but it'd be an inaccurate claim regardless, to say Oxbridge and St Andrews didn't spend anything at all, or that they were the only ones who did not.

This is what I wrote:

Not surprised given how much more universities are spending on marketing to students... read somewhere before that only three universities in the UK, Oxbridge and St Andrews, spend nothing at all on advertising to students."

I am confident it makes sense grammatically.

And this is the article where my claim is from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending