The Student Room Group

Core Medical Training

Scroll to see replies

MRCP Part 1 is on the application criteria as point scoring so yep it does count!
I'm doing my CMT application just now and wondering what, if anything, to put in the achievements outside of medicine? I was a volunteer with the British Red Cross for about 6 years but other than my ID badge and training certificates from when I was still in 6th form, I have no more recent evidence. Should I bother mentioning it? I was also involved in some volunteering at uni and do have certificates but they are one off events rather than long term commitments... Again, should I bother putting these down?
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks :smile:. I know that I won't get points for it, but the CMT personal specification does mention "evidence of altruistic behaviour" so it would be good to tick that box. Plus I have no other relevant achievements to add to that section (my hobbies are very much not related to medicine haha).
Hahaha, no, I don't photograph trains :biggrin: It sounds like they actually want something that's relevant to medicine though - like being a team captain would be OK to put down as it shows leadership skills but playing tennis doesn't seem all that relevant...

Also, I'm wondering about how much detail needs to go into the statement of your contribution to a presentation? Is it OK to say I was involved in data collection and analysis, or do I need to say I looked through 300 sets of notes and say exactly what analysis was done etc. ?
That's really helpful, thank you :smile:
I have another question... In the presentations/posters sections, the wording is "I have shown a poster at a nation/international medical meeting". Does that mean you need to have presented the poster yourself? I have a poster I did present, and another one (my BSc research project) which did go to a conference by I couldn't go due to exams. Can I say I have "shown" more than 1 poster?
Original post by girl_in_black
I have another question... In the presentations/posters sections, the wording is "I have shown a poster at a nation/international medical meeting". Does that mean you need to have presented the poster yourself? I have a poster I did present, and another one (my BSc research project) which did go to a conference by I couldn't go due to exams. Can I say I have "shown" more than 1 poster?

Don't the points max out at one presentation for that section?

If not, in the white space question, I'd describe both accurately, but just claim the points for the one you actually presented.

I think the wording is clear that the points should be if you personally presented it.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Don't the points max out at one presentation for that section?

If not, in the white space question, I'd describe both accurately, but just claim the points for the one you actually presented.

I think the wording is clear that the points should be if you personally presented it.

You get an extra 2 points if you have presented more than one. I guess it's best to claim the points for just one and mention the other one in the free text as Chief Wiggum suggested.

Thanks for your help, guys :smile:
Interesting thread so far. I am in a slightly different dilemma...I did an intercalated Masters. Does this go under "undergraduate degrees" or under postgraduate degrees. The reason I ask is because it says rather unhelpfully lists intercalated degrees as an undergraduate degree...
Original post by Hydromancer
Interesting thread so far. I am in a slightly different dilemma...I did an intercalated Masters. Does this go under "undergraduate degrees" or under postgraduate degrees. The reason I ask is because it says rather unhelpfully lists intercalated degrees as an undergraduate degree...

I'd have thought "undergraduate degrees" if you did it prior to receiving your primary medical degree.
Hi there, did you ever get the answer to your question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending