The Student Room Group

Do you feel more of an affiliation to the Anglosphere or to Europe?

Poll

Do you feel more of an affiliation to the Anglosphere or to Europe?

By Europe I'm talking about Western and Central Europe (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway etc..) , instead of eastern Europe.

Increasingly, with our departure from the EU, it seems that British people care far less about our neighbours in Europe than they care about us. We seem to prefer tighter ties with the US, for example one of the major sticking points of Breixteers was that we'd be able to trade more with the US to make up for the trade we'd lose from leaving the EU.

So do you feel more culturally, politically, socially, economically similar to the rest of Europe or to the Anglosphere (America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand)? Personally I feel closer to the latter, being of non-European descent and with my ancestors formerly from a Commonwealth country, and our politics and society being more similar to the Anglosphere than to Europe.

Scroll to see replies

I'd say more with Europe, mainly because our society is more liberal and because of the amount of Europeans here in the UK, they form more of a part of our lives than Americans and Canadians do.
Reply 2
Original post by Sayed0123
culturally

Traditionally the UK has more European culture than anywhere else I think, but with the more recent influx of US-dominated culture that's definitely shifted a fair bit.

politically

Bit of a mixed bag this one. We're far closer to the sort of politics in Europe than either the US or Australia, but other anglophone countries like Canada are arguably a bit closer to the way things are run here.

socially

This one is entirely subjective really. It depends a lot on where you and your family originate from, where you like to visit, who you choose to associate with. Just be thankful we live in a country where such freedoms are allowed.

economically

Our economy is invariably tied to the single market/free trade area at present. Though that could soon change, naturally.
I like to pretend America doesn't even exist because their news is a living meme and it scares me. So I feel closer to Europe. Politically tho idek, it's a mess.
Definitely more European. The US is pretty much a different world from the UK once you leave the Northeast corridor. The south is very conservative, the Midwest is sparsely populated and quite isolated from the rest of the world, the southwest is more influenced by Hispanic culture and the northwest is quite Asian/Pacific-influenced.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think as of now the British are much closer to the Europe, which is inevitable due to proximity and the EU. However in the wake of Brexit and the CANZUK Trade Agreement Britain's relationship with the Anglosphere will definitely grow much closer.
Reply 6
I think I have more of an affiliation to Europe than the Anglosphere, mainly because of how many Europeans live here and how many Brits live and travel to Europe, plus the EU is more important to us economically than the US. Our society is also more liberal and similar to Europe in that regard compared to the US (apart from the Northeast and California). I feel like America's quite different from us in terms of their way of life and their politics. America, being a superpower, has a lot of countries that want to be its ally so it's almost like we think they're our best friend and we have something special whereas they're actually cheating on us with Canada and all the other western countries. Australia is an exception and I feel they are basically Europe in terms of closeness. Canada is part Francosphere and New Zealand is pretty much irrelevant.
(edited 6 years ago)
Angolsphere but only Australia and NZ because I have family there. America's a different planet as far as I'm concerned. Canada is basically America's boyfriend and they aren't similar to us in culture and way of life (more sparsely populated, big houses, car usage, quite individualistic). I'd say Australia and NZ are the only country we can truly count on to support us and never betray us. The US has been shifty ever since Obama said we'd be in the back of the queue and with Trump it's even worse.
Original post by MartinF98
Angolsphere but only Australia and NZ because I have family there. America's a different planet as far as I'm concerned. Canada is basically America's boyfriend and they aren't similar to us in culture and way of life (more sparsely populated, big houses, car usage, quite individualistic). I'd say Australia and NZ are the only country we can truly count on to support us and never betray us. The US has been shifty ever since Obama said we'd be in the back of the queue and with Trump it's even worse.

:rofl:

More European. They're more similar to us in culture, way of life, politics, religion than the Us and Canada. Australia maybe is more similar, especially now that they're in eurovision
Anglosphere. I interact with more Anglospheric culture than European culture simply because of the common tongue.

Of course, we are much closer to France and Germany geographically than we are our old colonies, but how often do we interact with that "closeness"? When we go on holiday to Spain once a year? It is not a pervasive interaction. Politically: people are disenfranchised and disinterested in the European Parliament and the EU project. Plus, we share a common constitution with Canada, Australia and New Zealand (and to an extent America), and also share the common law system. These shared values make us culturally closer. Socially we quite similar to those three too, except our lack of sensitivity to indigenous populations.
People may say europe, but when people actually go on holidays or study abroad they tend to be the english speaking countries.

Many european countries have incredibly far right parties as part of the governing coalition

Original post by Trapz99
I think I have more of an affiliation to Europe than the Anglosphere, mainly because of how many Europeans live here and how many Brits live and travel to Europe, plus the EU is more important to us economically than the US. Our society is also more liberal and similar to Europe in that regard compared to the US (apart from the Northeast and California). I feel like America's quite different from us in terms of their way of life and their politics. America, being a superpower, has a lot of countries that want to be its ally so it's almost like we think they're our best friend and we have something special whereas they're actually cheating on us with Canada and all the other western countries. Australia is an exception and I feel they are basically Europe in terms of closeness. Canada is part Francosphere and New Zealand is pretty much irrelevant.

Original post by serions871
Definitely more European. The US is pretty much a different world from the UK once you leave the Northeast corridor. The south is very conservative, the Midwest is sparsely populated and quite isolated from the rest of the world, the southwest is more influenced by Hispanic culture and the northwest is quite Asian/Pacific-influenced.

anglosphere doesnt mean just america . Also the US has gay marriage and high levels of immigration from asia and latin america, whilst many countries in europe dont have either .

The average brit has far more in common with people from canada,australia, new zealand than with people from germany, poland or italy
Original post by Ladbants
More European. They're more similar to us in culture, way of life, politics, religion than the Us and Canada. Australia maybe is more similar, especially now that they're in eurovision

I dont think you know what you are talking about.

How can Germany, France and Italy be more similar to the UK than old and current UK Commonwealth nations like Canada and Australia or even the US?

First of all, English is the binding factor of these nations and historical ties are deeper with those countries than our European neighbours.

Two, those countries, except the US that left, still have the Queen has their Head of State, which further proves deeper ties.

The idea that Germany is similar to UK than the Australians is a wild claim, imho.
European. Largely because of time spent living in both France and Spain.

I also dislike the obesogenic culture that dominates Anglosphere.
Europe.

I might not have much in common with European culture but I strongly admire and support European values. The Anglosphere is dominated by the United States, which has some pretty *****y values.
Europe because it's closer to us in how they run their societies. Plus there are loads of Europeans in the U.K., much more than Americans and Canadians, so I see them more as neighbours. I think the EU is also more integrated than the Anglosphere because there's a solid economic union with a parliament as well and it's a real shame we're leaving it against the wishes of young people who couldn't vote. Also, from speaking to Americans, Americans overall see themselves as exceptional and independent rather than as a part of something bigger like the Anglosphere, whereas Europeans very much see themselves as part of a greater Europe and see Britain as part of that greater Europe. It's a shame some idiots in our country voted to get us out of that greater, integrated Europe in the form of the EU.
We can't be good friends with the Anglo-sphere because of political correctness and it might be "racist".
Reply 17
Only voted anglosphere because of the US where I have some family. I don't have any ties to Europe culturally or whatever. Even in terms of social values I support conservatism which doesn't seem to be popular in Europe in general.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm actually an immigrant (although having come here as an eight year old I don't feel like one) from a European country and my parents actually immigrated to that country from another European country, yet I still feel closer to the Anglosphere, mainly because of its culture.
Original post by Capitata
I find it strange how so many people say Europe when they speak completely different language and as a result seem totally foreign to me. While Canada, Australia and America seem very foreign as well (especially America, where it seems people are much louder...), they share our language and their culture has mingled with ours - especially their cinema. When I watch European films, it's like a different planet.

We are much more aligned with Europe than America. We don't share the same idea of an American dream - the idea that hard work will be rewarded. We are not conservative or religious. We do not uphold or pledge elegance to our flag. We support the idea of an interventionist state that supports us in things like healthcare and education.

I think the thing that sums up the difference between the UK and the US is a story of allied prisoners being returned after the 1st Gulf war. They were on a military transport plane. As soon as it flew over Syria (a then Allie) two US jets flanked it. The US prisoners started chanting U S A whilst the jet fighters gave a salute. Shortly afterwards, the US jets were replaced by UK fighters. The British POWs ran to the window where they saw the jet pilots make the w**k** sign. We don't share the same sense of humour as the US.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending