The Student Room Group

Oxford philosophy applicants for 2018 entry

So I wanted to start this thread for people interested in applying for a Philosophy joint honours degree at Oxford University. I'm personally interested in applying for philosophy and theology. It would be interesting to see how people are preparing over the summer for PS's and the philosophy test in November.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going for Physics and Philosophy! How are you preparing for a potential philosophy interview? I wasn't aware of any philosophy test though.
Reply 2
I'm applying for Philosophy and Theology!

I'm currently writing my PS and am virtually finished, except that I keep revisiting my starting paragraph and making large alterations. I seem to be unable to find an impactful first impression...

As far as preparation goes, i'm mainly reading...
Reply 3
Original post by louiss
I'm applying for Philosophy and Theology!

I'm currently writing my PS and am virtually finished, except that I keep revisiting my starting paragraph and making large alterations. I seem to be unable to find an impactful first impression...

As far as preparation goes, i'm mainly reading...

Which college are you going for?
Is your PS more about one subject than the other or is that not much of an issue seeing as there's probably more overlap with theology than physics?
Reply 4
I'm keeping my college secret for the meanwhile!

I didn't really find an issue in balancing the two subjects because as mentioned there is overlap. Perhaps a good balance, would be to talk about both individually and then mention them in accordance? But of course, that's not a tried and tested formula!!

For the most part, my PS is pretty balanced regarding the two different subjects...

Original post by t.aa
Which college are you going for?
Is your PS more about one subject than the other or is that not much of an issue seeing as there's probably more overlap with theology than physics?
I'm applying Philosophy and Theology at Oriel. Since there's only one sample PHIL paper online, I have mainly been practicing critical thinking and argumentation generally.
I'm applying for Philosophy and Theology at Worcester College! The Philosophy admissions test looks tricky (although, some of the questions are very interesting) and I'll definitely need more than an hour.
Hey guys I'm applying for Philosophy and Theology too! Has anyone received the invite for interviews yet?
Original post by confucius98
Hey guys I'm applying for Philosophy and Theology too! Has anyone received the invite for interviews yet?

Haven't heard back from Oriel college yet for Phil & Theo - I think it is too early rn
@watercarrier11 do you know when they're going to let us know? (I'm guessing it's near the end of Nov?)
Original post by Aysha_r
@watercarrier11 do you know when they're going to let us know? (I'm guessing it's near the end of Nov?)

I'm guessing it is the end of November, as the interviews for the course are around the 7th December and they usually inform you a week prior to the interview. Out of curiosity, which college have you applied to?
@watercarrier11 ahh okay, thanks! I've applied to Worcester, what about you?
Original post by Aysha_r
@watercarrier11 ahh okay, thanks! I've applied to Worcester, what about you?

Oriel
Anyone heard from oriel?
Last year invites sent out on 24th november and some people redistributed to other colleges and pphs straight away.
Got an interview invite for Philosophy and Theology this morning....still in shock. Has anyone else heard back for the subject?
Original post by watercarrier11
Got an interview invite for Philosophy and Theology this morning....still in shock. Has anyone else heard back for the subject?

Got an invite for Philosophy and Theology (allocated from Oriel to Mansfield). Perhaps I'll see you there!
Original post by alexthegreat256
Got an invite for Philosophy and Theology (allocated from Oriel to Mansfield). Perhaps I'll see you there!

Should probably see you there, as that's exactly what happened to me. Applied to Oriel, but interview is at Mansfield. Good luck!!
Reply 18
philosophy + modern languages :smile: still waiting to hear back - modern lang invites havent gone out yet!
im more confident about philosophy interview (if i get one) but i'd be learning the modern language from scratch, so im really unsure how to prepare for that interview and what they'd possibly ask me! i guess it would be more focused on linguistics...?
ey hey so I’ve got an interview at Regent’s Park College from Sunday to Wednesday next week for Theology. Honestly not fussed about the interviews cus I don’t even really want to go to Oxford (definitely not next year atleast) but I’m worried that imma be a bit bored cus I’ll not have anyone to hang out with. Basically, anyone wanna be interview friends for a few days?

Quick Reply

Latest