The Student Room Group

As/a-level german speaking help

Hi everyone,

I'm studying German at AS and I am really worried about the speaking exam. I have one-to-one speaking practice ever week but I feel like it's not helping me it's just reminding of me that I can't think of a lot to say. I'm using the same sentence patterns all the time. Can someone suggest some tips as it is really getting me down, and I'm guessing a lot of others as well? Some phrases, techniques, anything.

Thank you
Original post by Brad0000
Hi everyone,

I'm studying German at AS and I am really worried about the speaking exam. I have one-to-one speaking practice ever week but I feel like it's not helping me it's just reminding of me that I can't think of a lot to say. I'm using the same sentence patterns all the time. Can someone suggest some tips as it is really getting me down, and I'm guessing a lot of others as well? Some phrases, techniques, anything.

Thank you

German is tough but don’t give up - it’s definitley a rewarding subject! Do you have the podcast app? Try searching for “logo” news. It’s a German news show for kids but it’s brilliant for learners too and will improve your listening and speaking ability. Also, print off speaking cards and plan them before you meet with your one to one. Start writing down good sentences and phrases and with your notes it should be a lot easier! A final thing - quizlet. Vocab is key for languages and if you just learn learn learn all the textbook words, you’ll find speaking comes much more naturally.
Reply 2
Original post by Chemistry_Queen
German is tough but don’t give up - it’s definitley a rewarding subject! Do you have the podcast app? Try searching for “logo” news. It’s a German news show for kids but it’s brilliant for learners too and will improve your listening and speaking ability. Also, print off speaking cards and plan them before you meet with your one to one. Start writing down good sentences and phrases and with your notes it should be a lot easier! A final thing - quizlet. Vocab is key for languages and if you just learn learn learn all the textbook words, you’ll find speaking comes much more naturally.

Thank you so much. How would you go about preparing for a mock exam/actual exam as my mocks are really worrying me.
Original post by Brad0000
Thank you so much. How would you go about preparing for a mock exam/actual exam as my mocks are really worrying me.

Does your school have kerboodle? If so, practice the worksheets and activities on there. If not, do all the textbook exercises because they’re harder than the actual exam and will be good practice. And learn your vocab! Maybe get a grammar workbook too, and make sure you’re on top of it. You could also try past papers, it doesn’t matter that they’re old spec. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending