The Student Room Group

Disciplinary measures for a racist joke

So, I happened to put a racist joke on my degree's group chat a few days ago. It was meant to be a joke, and THAT WAS IT. However, some students decided to act - I don't know if for real, or if just because - all offended, and I ended up being called for disciplinary measures. I've generally been regarded as a good student and it's the first time I am called out for an 'allegiance of misconduct'. I have to meet my head of Dpt. What should I expect to happen?
Reply 1
depending on how heinous the joke was prpobably just an ear bashing but it really depends on how offended these 'friends' were and how bad the joke was.
My advice would be that when you meet with the discipline committee to be as contrite and teary eyed as possible, lay it on thick in other words. Also might be worth speaking to your union rep to see if theres anything they can do to help.
Reply 2
You call those snitches "friends" ?
Original post by Napp
depending on how heinous the joke was probably just an ear bashing but it really depends on how offended these 'friends' were and how bad the joke was.

The joke was a comparison between the film of 'The Planet of the Apes' and the 'Black Lives Matter' movement. It was not the only racist joke that has been posted on that group, but it IS the first time that such a problem happens because of one.
I feel like this is what this website is like . No one can take a joke :laugh:
LOOOL is it that one that went viral on twitter? The 'Crew" ... If it is, you're a racist and deserve everything thats coming to you :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hugocasalgado
The joke was a comparison between the film of 'The Planet of the Apes' and the 'Black Lives Matter' movement. It was not the only racist joke that has been posted on that group, but it IS the first time that such a problem happens because of one.

whilst i sympathise with the intention i'm not entirely sure the people handling your fate will be im afraid, public blow back from that could be rather bad. All i can say is do lots of grovelling to them and emphasize your previous good character in this respect
Original post by CrimsonTyphoon
LOOOL is it that one that went viral on twitter? The 'Crew" ... If it is, you're a racist and deserve everything thats coming to you :smile:

What was it that went viral?
Original post by hugocasalgado
What was it that went viral?

https://thetab.com/uk/bournemouth/2017/11/15/shes-a-big-black-ape-boys-insult-bu-fresher-in-racist-group-chat-6030

- Even if that story isn't about you. Making racist "jokes" isn't funny and hopefully you get disciplined by your uni
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CrimsonTyphoon
https://thetab.com/uk/bournemouth/2017/11/15/shes-a-big-black-ape-boys-insult-bu-fresher-in-racist-group-chat-6030

- Even if that story isn't about you. Making racist "jokes" isn't funny and hopefully you get disciplined by your uni

Hell NO that was not me.
Maybe you should think before you speak/type next time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending