The Student Room Group

Friend wants to know if you need GCSE english lit for Russell Group Uni?

She is currently choosing her GCSEs :smile:
Pretty sure GCSE English Lit is a core subject (as with English Language, Maths and Science), so it should be automatically given as a subject.

Otherwise, it's pretty important to have English Literature GCSE when applying to universities.
Reply 2
Original post by TeenPolyglot
Pretty sure GCSE English Lit is a core subject (as with English Language, Maths and Science), so it should be automatically given as a subject.

Otherwise, it's pretty important to have English Literature GCSE when applying to universities.

would she not have a chance without the english literature?
Reply 3
If you check the certain unis and courses under the requirements it states what they want. The likes of Nottingham, York, Sheffield and Newcastle don't request them and only want A-Levels for the course I'm looking at but Nottingham Trent for example requires 4 GCSEs including English maths and science for Law.
Original post by ?Hannah?
would she not have a chance without the english literature?

She would still have a chance, depending on the other grades and the course she's going for, but (unless it's changed with the new reforms), English Literature is a standard, compulsory GCSE.
Reply 5
She would still have a chance, depending on the other grades and the course she's going for, but (unless it's changed with the new reforms), English Literature is a standard, compulsory GCSE.

ah i get you, but i thought that only english language was compulsory?

thank-you for all your comments
Original post by ?Hannah?
ah i get you, but i thought that only english language was compulsory?

thank-you for all your comments

Upon further inspection, there seems to be a grey area.

I would say it will depend on the school itself; all students in our school have to do English Literature GCSE, but it seems they're not necessarily compulsory anymore. Check with the school.
Reply 7
Upon further inspection, there seems to be a grey area.

I would say it will depend on the school itself; all students in our school have to do English Literature GCSE, but it seems they're not necessarily compulsory anymore. Check with the school.

thank-you very much, i guess that english literature is an added bonus, but isn’t necessarily compulsory.
GCSE English Language is a core requirement for university entry requirements. All uni's ask for it.

She will need to check the universities entry requirements however no, I don't believe GCSE English Lit is required.
most schools force you to do english lit and lang. without them u cant go to any uni let alone a russel group one!

Quick Reply

Latest