The Student Room Group

Need help with a question on my access course.

Hi I really didn't know were to put this so if its in the wrong place I'm sorry. I have asked my tutor for help but she is yet to ring me (I am doing an online access course with Stonebridge College)

Write an evaluation of your learning strengths and weaknesses in relation to a learning theory.

I have done a SWOT and I have to use that as part of the question. But I have been staring at it for the past week and I literally have no idea what to even start off typing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StaceyH93
Hi I really didn't know were to put this so if its in the wrong place I'm sorry. I have asked my tutor for help but she is yet to ring me (I am doing an online access course with Stonebridge College)

Write an evaluation of your learning strengths and weaknesses in relation to a learning theory.

I have done a SWOT and I have to use that as part of the question. But I have been staring at it for the past week and I literally have no idea what to even start off typing.

Thanks.

Although I know nothing about this topic or of any learning theories, my first question to approaching this would be:

What learning theories do you know and what would be a good one that you feel you have a lot to talk about?

Thanks.

Is this one of the ungraded development modules?

We did one early on my course on study skills where they began us doing an online test to determine what kind of learner we are (Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic Learning Styles (VAK)) and then discuss how we would work to our strengths studying for an assignment. Is yours along those lines?

http://www.brainboxx.co.uk/a3_aspects/pages/vak_quest.htm
https://www.thoughtco.com/understanding-learning-styles-7994
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/type-of-learner-infographic/

Thanks.

Echoing on what the users above me have said, search up learning styles and do an online test to see which one works best for you. The best way to keep notes is bullet pointing which learning style has qualities that work for you and which ones don't. For example, I'm a visual learner which means I like looking at images as they help me remember things but in some cases, I can't draw the images out if I was asked to draw it etc. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Break it down into the individual elements of the question and think about the key words/phrases:

a learning theory

You need to write about one learning theory. Research learning theories and choose one on which to base your answer.

evaluation

When you 'evaluate' something, you look at what's good and what's not so good, pros and cons, then reach a conclusion.

your learning strengths and weaknesses

It's asking you to think about the ways in which you learn. What do you do well, what do you struggle with? What are you good at and what are you bad at? How does that show up in your academic work?

If you put those together, you can answer the question.
Reply 5
Original post by BigYoSpeck
Is this one of the ungraded development modules?

We did one early on my course on study skills where they began us doing an online test to determine what kind of learner we are (Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic Learning Styles (VAK)) and then discuss how we would work to our strengths studying for an assignment. Is yours along those lines?

http://www.brainboxx.co.uk/a3_aspects/pages/vak_quest.htm
https://www.thoughtco.com/understanding-learning-styles-7994
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/type-of-learner-infographic/

Yeah I just cannot get my head around it. xx
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
Break it down into the individual elements of the question and think about the key words/phrases:

You need to write about one learning theory. Research learning theories and choose one on which to base your answer.

When you 'evaluate' something, you look at what's good and what's not so good, pros and cons, then reach a conclusion.

It's asking you to think about the ways in which you learn. What do you do well, what do you struggle with? What are you good at and what are you bad at? How does that show up in your academic work?

If you put those together, you can answer the question.

Thank you this makes so much more sense to me!! xx
Reply 7
I was going to choose Pavlov (Classic conditioning) or Skinner (operant conditioning) as I did these a few years ago in Psychology but they seem to be kind of the same? Or am I reading them wrong?
xx

Thanks.

I forgot to reply to this but Klix approaches it in the same way I would have done. You need to star getting to rips with how you approach work when asked to write an essay. Kilx has done it for you but my thought patter goes (it's probably the same)

1. Do some research on what learning theories are (ive never studied them), but they should be in your course materials. Its an opprtunity to read around the subject and see how many theories there are, think about the ideas, what the key points are and how they differ from each other.

I found

https://www.tonybates.ca/2014/07/29/learning-theories-and-online-learning/

https://www.brookes.ac.uk/services/ocsld/resources/theories.html

2. After you have an overview then start to think about the question. You have already started to jot down strengths and weaknesses, but refine those now based on what you have learned and have a better understanding. Pick the theory that interests you most and you can best show where your strength and weaknesses are.

3. So your essay may talk briefly about a learning theory or you can go straight to explaining about the theory you have chosen. Pick the relevant points so you can show your lecturer that you understand what the theory is about and how it works.

4. Then do the evaluation part which basically says based on your understanding, then if this method is applied to you as the subject your strengths would be i.e why it suits you or is apt or explains what you would be good at.

5. the a paragraph on the weakness of the theory, what you would do less well at and bits that you would find difficult.

6. You can then do a conclusion recapping what you have learned an a few of your thoughts overall. The merits and pitfalls of the theory, how well suited you are to it and where it falls short/ you are unsuited etc.

It doesnt have to be too deep and I dont think they are expecting too much in depth, but they will like it if you can analyse the task you have to do plus present your evaluation in an informative clear and logical manner.

The more essays you do, then the more comfy you will get with methodology and what to do. Always make notes and plan, then write it a paragraph at a time.

Hope that didnt confuse things. Klixs explanation was good.
Reply 9
Thank you, no it didn't confuse me. In my head I know what I'm doing but when it comes to actually doing the work i freak out as i keep thinking its wrong, or that there expecting something different. I do think once I've done a few it will become easier its just starting thats the hard part.

Thanks for the reply
xx
Thank you, no it didn't confuse me. In my head I know what I'm doing but when it comes to actually doing the work i freak out as i keep thinking its wrong, or that there expecting something different. I do think once I've done a few it will become easier its just starting thats the hard part.

Thanks for the reply
xx

Just make sure you understand the question.
Do your research.
Plan your answer before writing it.

You can always amend and adjust so it says what you wish it to. Be aware your assistance from the tutor may be limited.
Reply 11
I am getting a phone call tomorrow so fingers crossed. I will try and attempt it tomorrow.

xxx
Reply 12
I did sociology and psychology....I have literally done the rest of the module its just this stupid question which is bugging me. I have tried to plan it out, see the different parts and I am literally still no closer. I don't know whats wrong with me. :frown:
I did sociology and psychology....I have literally done the rest of the module its just this stupid question which is bugging me. I have tried to plan it out, see the different parts and I am literally still no closer. I don't know whats wrong with me. :frown:

Hi, I'm just wondering if you did eventually get your head around this? I'm also stuck on this, I've literally spent hours researching theories and trying to put it all together and it just doesn't make any real sense to me. I've messaged my tutor - also studying with Stonebridge. So hoping I can get some clarification on it.
Hi, I can't help with the learning theories as I don't know them but a quick google should tell you some. However, with regards to your strengths and weaknesses: at the start of my access course we did a VARK test, this tells you how you learn, that might help you compare your learning strengths and weaknesses to some learning theories. Hope this helps.
Reply 15
Original post by kjcmaybe
Hi, I'm just wondering if you did eventually get your head around this? I'm also stuck on this, I've literally spent hours researching theories and trying to put it all together and it just doesn't make any real sense to me. I've messaged my tutor - also studying with Stonebridge. So hoping I can get some clarification on it.

Hey, I too am wondering if you got your head around this too.....I am now stumped on the same question.....
Hi i am struggling with this questiion and relating it to my SWOT analysis. I just can't word it correctly, I don't normally struggle this much but my first submission is an epic fail. I really need help :frown:
Have you tried breaking it down into chunks and just mind mapping it?

1. What learning theory are you looking at?
2. Write down some of your strengths.
3. Write down some of your weaknesses.

4. Where is the overlap? e.g, if you were looking at a learning theory like Cognivitism (the search for rules, principles or relationships in processing new information), and you felt that you were adventurous and curious about learning. Maybe you also look for rules and try to identify trends when you are learning topics. You could start to explore this, consider the Who/ what/When/where/Why/How and make sure all that is explained with a good balance either side, and then chunk it off with your own conclusions on how well you feel this learning style applies to yourself. You might find that those learning theories are very significant to when you learn something, or that they are completely incorrect.

Best of luck,

Alex
I’m now on this unit and I feel like I’m drowning! I don’t understand why I can’t get my head around some of the questions! Any advice/help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 19
Has anyone got their hèad around Q2 ive read the comments and still dont get it. Must be old age lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending