The Student Room Group

Study finds that vegetarians are less healthy and have a lower quality of life.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0088278&type=printable

Our study has shown that Austrian adults who consume a vegetarian diet are less healthy (in terms of cancer, allergies, and mental health disorders), have a lower quality of life, and also require more medical treatment. Therefore, a continued strong public health program for Austria is required in order to reduce the health risk due to nutritional factors.

Moreover, our results emphasize the necessity of further studies in Austria, for a more indepth analysis of the health effects of different dietary habits.

Note: This study was only conducted on Austrians.

Scroll to see replies

nothing wrong with a nice Wiener Schnitzel now and then. :dontknow:
What a lot of bs,
Original post by basicquestions
What a lot of bs,

Why?
Reply 4
Not surprising tbh, as vegetarians don't eat type 1 proteins and have to eat type 2, which has less protein, so they have to eat more, so that they can develop as much as non-vegetarians (Omnivores)
Eh I reckon it still highly depends on type of diet as a vegetarian.
Reply 7
Dietary studies seem to constantly contradict each other so much I tend to just ignore them these days.
Original post by AppleB

??
Original post by Dheorl
Dietary studies seem to constantly contradict each other so much I tend to just ignore them these days.

Can you post some contradictory studies?
Reply 10
Original post by the beer
Can you post some contradictory studies?

There's so many, all within easy reach on google, I think it's better if you just go look for yourself until your satisfaction is satiated.
Original post by Dheorl
There's so many, all within easy reach on google, I think it's better if you just go look for yourself until your satisfaction is satiated.

I'm more interested in why you feel they're contradictory to be honest. I've seen a number claiming health benefits to vegetarianism but they tend to look at stuff like obesity and diabetes.
I would write a detailed rebuttal but I'm lethargic from lack of iron and protein.
Reply 13
I'm more interested in why you feel they're contradictory to be honest. I've seen a number claiming health benefits to vegetarianism but they tend to look at stuff like obesity and diabetes.

I was referring to dietary studies in general.
Makes sense. Vegetarians are individuals who abstain from the consumption of meat. Meat is protein, which is a food group included to maintain a balanced diet. An unbalanced diet can lead to malnourishment, coronary heart disease, osteoarthritis etc.
Reply 15
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0088278&type=printable

Our study has shown that Austrian adults who consume a vegetarian diet are less healthy (in terms of cancer, allergies, and mental health disorders), have a lower quality of life, and also require more medical treatment. Therefore, a continued strong public health program for Austria is required in order to reduce the health risk due to nutritional factors.

Moreover, our results emphasize the necessity of further studies in Austria, for a more indepth analysis of the health effects of different dietary habits.

Note: This study was only conducted on Austrians.

Note this is a cross-sectional, non-longitudinal, study and:

This might indicate that the vegetarians in our study consume this form of diet as a consequence of their disorders, since a vegetarian diet is often recommended as a method to manage weight [...]

Unfortunately, food intake was not measured in more detail, e.g. caloric intake was not covered. [...]

We cannot state whether a causal relationship exists

I think it's a fair assumption to suggest that chronically-ill individuals are more likely to adopt a vegetarian diet in the hope of improving their health (e.g. steve jobs) and so inflate the number of ill vegetarians while reducing the ill non-veggies. This is why longitudinal studies are needed to explore causation, not the associations shown here.
Original post by Dheorl
I was referring to dietary studies in general.

Isn't it more the dietary advice we get from governments that's contradictory?
Original post by pjm600

I think it's a fair assumption to suggest that chronically-ill individuals are more likely to adopt a vegetarian diet in the hope of improving their health (e.g. steve jobs) and so inflate the number of ill vegetarians while reducing the ill non-veggies. This is why longitudinal studies are needed to explore causation, not the associations shown here.

Wouldn't you also get chronically ill veggies taking up meat eating in the hope of improving their health too?
Reply 18
Isn't it more the dietary advice we get from governments that's contradictory?

No.
I think there are plenty of unhealthy vegetarian diets out there... i.e. there is a lot of fat consumed through dairy. Or potentially they were eating a ton of processed food?

I would be interested to know what the daily diets of these people consisted of.... and also, do they regularly move? If they weren't exercising that could have an adverse effect on their health.

I eat a plant-based diet with healthy plant protein and feel great (I ate meat and dairy before). I know my body is healthier for it because of the increase in my energy levels and things like my hair and nails growing considerably faster and are stronger which are both really positive signs.

I think different bodies require different things, but ultimately lots of fruit and veggies as plant of a balanced diet (whether you don't eat meat or not) is really important. Also, your whole lifestyle - food, exercise, sleep and how prone to stress you are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending