The Student Room Group

Computer Science Degrees That Don't Need Maths

Hey everyone I'm Littleswany one of the CAs for this forum.

I have seen a couple of discussions here about wether Maths is needed to study Computer Science at X University, or can I go to a good uni to study CS even though I didn't take math.So this thread.

I will try to keep it updated be please let me know if something needs updating

Russell Group Universities for CS that dont need Maths:

Cardiff University

Kings College London (See Note Below)

Spoiler

University of Leeds+ (See Note Below)

Spoiler

University of Liverpool+ (See Note Below)

Spoiler

Newcastle University

University of Nottingham

Queen Mary University of London*

Other Universities for CS that don't need Maths

City University (See not below)

Spoiler

University of East Anglia+

Lancaster University*

University of Kent*

Cardiff University*

Leicester University*

University of Reading*

Swansea University*

University of Worcester

Birmingham City University

* - Grade B at GCSE maths and above & Thanks to @Princepieman for contributing these

+ - Require a mathsy/science subject (CS or Maths or Physics or Chemistry or Econ) & Thanks to @Princepieman for contributing these

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
At City University, Maths is preferred but not required.

Grades ABB (Computer Science, Mathematics and Physics preferred) or 128 UCAS tariff points
Kings college london has in fact changed their entry requirements, now you must have either maths, further maths, computer science or computing. no more accepting with ICT, software developing, electronics etc.
Original post by littleswany

I have seen a couple of discussions here about wether Maths is needed to study Computer Science at X University, or can I go to a good uni to study CS even though I didn't take math.So this thread.

Cardiff University

University of Edinburgh

Spoiler

University of Leeds (See Note Below)

Spoiler

University of Liverpool (See Note Below)

Spoiler

Newcastle University

University of Nottingham

Queen Mary University of London

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by chillindiekid
Kings college london has in fact changed their entry requirements, now you must have either maths, further maths, computer science or computing. no more accepting with ICT, software developing, electronics etc.

This is such a good idea for a thread :h:

Does anyone else have any pearls of wisdom to share?
This is my list, mostly restricted to what I think are the best departments/unis. There are probably far more.

Unis that require Maths explicitly:

Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh, Bristol, Durham, St Andrews, UCL, Warwick, Manchester, Sheffield, Exeter, Bath, Birmingham, Glasgow, York

Loughborough, Surrey, Dundee, HW, Strathclyde, Aberdeen

Unis that require a mathsy/science subject (CS or Maths or Physics or Chemistry or Econ):
Leeds, KCL, RHUL, Liverpool, UEA, QUB

Every other uni (grade B at gcse maths and above):
Newcastle, Nottingham, Lancaster, Kent, Cardiff, Leicester, QMUL, Reading, Swansea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone link the courses? I can't seem to find a computing course at Edinburgh that does not require maths.
As a Computer Science student, I do recommend you look into a bit of Maths before going to University. The majority of A-Level will be covered in just a few hours.

Cardiff University

University of Edinburgh

Spoiler

University of Leeds (See Note Below)

Spoiler

University of Liverpool (See Note Below)

Spoiler

Newcastle University

University of Nottingham

Queen Mary University of London

Spoiler

Spoiler

AFAIK all CS courses in Edinburgh (joint included) require an A-Level in Mathematics?
(edited 6 years ago)
University of Worcester and Birmingham City don't require maths for Computer Science/Computing/IT.

Just 96 tariff points (CCC/MMM) For Worcester.
BBC/DDM for Birmingham City.

Spoiler

Thank you all for your contributions, have updated the list accordingly
Its worth noting that if you really want to do CS but don't have Maths - there's always a foundation year route offered by many universities.

Vicky
Original post by Loughborough University
Its worth noting that if you really want to do CS but don't have Maths - there's always a foundation year route offered by many universities.

Vicky

Cardiff University

Spoiler

University of Leeds+ (See Note Below)

Spoiler

University of Liverpool+ (See Note Below)

Spoiler

Newcastle University

University of Nottingham

Spoiler

University of East Anglia+

Lancaster University*

University of Kent*

Cardiff University*

Leicester University*

University of Reading*

Swansea University*

University of Worcester

Birmingham City University

* - Grade B at GCSE maths and above & Thanks to @Princepieman for contributing these

+ - Require a mathsy/science subject (CS or Maths or Physics or Chemistry or Econ) & Thanks to @Princepieman for contributing these

Spoiler

Great thread. I'd also mention QUB as a Russell Group uni that does not specifically need a Maths A-Level for entry:

From the QUB website:

"A level requirements
BBB including Computing, Mathematics or Software Systems Development + GCSE Mathematics grade C
OR
ABB including Chemistry, Digital Techgnology, GCE A-level ICT (not Single Award Applied ICT), Physics, Technology and Design or Double Award Applied ICT + GCSE Mathematics grade C."

http://www.qub.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/computer-science-bsc-g400/#entry

Also Queen Mary University London was added to the Russell Group a few years ago (2012 I think??)

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/our-universities/
Aberystwyth University doesn't require Maths except a C at GCSE but they are very chill. There is also a range of computer science courses to choose from.
http://courses.aber.ac.uk/undergraduate/computer-science-degree/#cour-req
Reply 16

This thread is a very cool idea :biggrin:
Can you add the note about the foundation route to the OP?
I got an offer from Nottingham last year with just a BTEC (Predicted D*D*D*) and AS grades (previously achieved) UDDE.

First of all I want to study Computer Networking and Cyber Security - BSc (Hons) in metropolitan or somewhere else I'm sayin metropolitan because i contact them and they emailed me back but they didnt answer to my problems. All of the modules of all three levels look very interesting. However, I am a bit concerned regarding the nature of the modules. I am not particularly good in math and i was wondering whether that would be a problem. I do not want to pick a course in which mathematical skills are of great importance and end up failing.Please if anyone studied let me know if I should pick this course.

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Bill albanis

First of all I want to study Computer Networking and Cyber Security - BSc (Hons) in metropolitan or somewhere else I'm sayin metropolitan because i contact them and they emailed me back but they didnt answer to my problems. All of the modules of all three levels look very interesting. However, I am a bit concerned regarding the nature of the modules. I am not particularly good in math and i was wondering whether that would be a problem. I do not want to pick a course in which mathematical skills are of great importance and end up failing.Please if anyone studied let me know if I should pick this course.

If they don't require maths the course will be designed to give you whatever maths assistance is needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile