The Student Room Group

Egyptian lawyer says it is 'patriotic duty' to rape women

Scroll to see replies

Original post by looloo2134
I have a issue with people who think there better than other people and enjoy belittle them on forums.

Then you must have an issue with the Egyptian dude as that's all he's been trying to do.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by yudothis
So what? No one is saying they all are. Of course not all are. Doesn't change the fact that their society is.

So what? This gentleman has saved thousands of lives and many other Egyptian people both male and female have do great work in the field of science.
This is the most disgusting thing i have heard of in my life
Then you must have an issue with the Egyptian dude as that's all he's been trying to do.

I do have an issue with Egyptian gentleman because I believe all human being should be treated with respect.

I have issue with this Egyptian gentleman trying to belittle other people I believe all human beings and animals should be treated with respect.
Original post by looloo2134
So what? This gentleman has saved thousands of lives and many other Egyptian people both male and female have do great work in the field of science.

I am not saying so what to his work, I am saying so what to his work's relation to the point made. A single individual doesn't redeem an entire society.
Original post by lavender_rose
Wow, this is the same logic as saying if a person goes out without a bulletproof vest, they deserve to be shot because they wasn't "protecting themselves". Let's hope he never fathers daughters.

What a desperate, tawdry little person you are.
Reply 47
Original post by AlexanderHam
While his views are not the views of all Egyptians, he certainly expresses an opinion that would find sympathy with many Egyptians. The country has serious issues with its treatment of women, its turning a blind eye to sexual harassment and degradation and disrespect of women.

When you allow that to go on, then it's not surprising that you end up with people like this lawyer.

It's the same in the west. You just don't see it.
Original post by generallee
I have been to Egypt and the country is amazing. So much history and culture.

The people are often contemptuous towards westerners though. Not all of them, but some. There seems to be a weird inferiority/superiority complex going on.

Precisely. It's unfortunately common in many parts of the developing world. They are keenly aware of how large is the gap between the developing and the developed world, but they also like to think that somehow the West is full of decadent, immoral, weak people with no values.

Ironically, such comments often come from people in countries where thousands are slaughtered due to being the wrong religion or tribe.

But we're bad because we let women own property and vote.
Original post by jvinmurrey
I'm Egyptian too and OP makes a very, very valid point. The extent to which women are mistreated in our country is disgusting. And if it's not overt harassment or abuse, it manifests itself as a covert belief that women are subservient. In Egypt, the phrase "what a man says, goes" IS undisputed and men are nowhere near perceiving women with the progressive, open mindset that they seem to believe they are. People CAN be quick to overgeneralize but the bigger problem for us isn't over generalizations at this point, its the dismissive attitude that so many Egyptian men and women adopt, fueled by their uninformed belief that the injustice people complain about is an exception instead of a norm. Wake up.

Excellent comment.

No-one is saying that all Egyptian people are bad. What I'm drawing attention to is a systemic issue that arises from attitudes and values that have always been held and will continue to be held if they are not questioned and critiqued.

Egypt has an amazing culture and history. It has huge potential. But it also has some problems; the issue of treatment of women, wealth inequality and corruption, authoritarianism and excessive religiosity.

It's only if people can openly discuss and debate the problems that things will start to change.
Original post by nashhh2
It's the same in the west. You just don't see it.

No, it really isn't.

You just want to see it in the West because your cultural-religious disposition and the inferiority complex arising from it causes in you a desperate need to denigrate the West and wishful thinking that the West is as much in the mire (more so, you undoubtedly believe) as everywhere else.

It isn't. Any objective person can see that.
Reply 51
No, it really isn't.

You just want to see it in the West because your cultural-religious disposition and the inferiority complex arising from it causes in you a desperate need to denigrate the West and wishful thinking that the West is as much in the mire (more so, you undoubtedly believe) as everywhere else.

It isn't. Any objective person can see that.

And you just want to deny it because it allows you to look down upon other groups in society as you already do.

If you can't acknowledge there are deep rooted issues in our own society then you need to stick to far right forums because this one isnt for you.
Original post by nashhh2
And you just want to deny it because it allows you to look down upon other groups in society as you already do.

If you can't acknowledge there are deep rooted issues in our own society then you need to stick to far right forums because this one isnt for you.

He nailed you.

There are deep rooted issues in our society but they are as nothing compared to Egypt. Or indeed whichever country your own family originated from.

And your family prove it (by its deeds if not your words) because if this country is worse they could go back.

The fact you continue to live in this country demonstrates how you truly feel, not your empty posturing on here. You try and trash this country whilst benefiting from its political freedoms and economic development.
Reply 53
Original post by generallee
He nailed you.

There are deep rooted issues in our society but they are as nothing compared to Egypt. Or indeed whichever country your own family originated from.

And your family prove it (by its deeds if not your words) because if this country is worse they could go back.

The fact you continue to live in this country demonstrates how you truly feel, not your empty posturing on here. You try and trash this country whilst benefiting from its political freedoms and economic development.

I can see the deep rooted racism here. This idea that I have to be grateful for anything is stupid and only parroted by racists like you.

I am british. This is my country no matter how much you cry and im definitely far more valuable to society than you can dream of.

And you've also indefinitely invalidated your argument by playing this weak card. My point was singulative not comparative, it's a shame you've managed to go on a tangent.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nashhh2
I can see the deep rooted racism here. This idea that I have to be grateful for anything is stupid and only parroted by racist morons like you.

I am british. This is my country no matter how much you cry and im definitely far more valuable to society than you can dream of. Seeing your thread history only amplifies how much of a sadcase you are.

And you've also indefinitely invalidated your argument by playing this weak card. My point was singulative not comparative, it's a shame you've managed to go on a tangent so stupidly.

In what way are you “valuable to society”?

You are just a school kid and all you have ever done so far is take. Whining and childishly bitc *ing about how awful the country is, as you do.

You might become valuable, doing a worthwhile job and as a taxpayer, or you might not.
But up till now you have contributed nothing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Precisely. It's unfortunately common in many parts of the developing world. They are keenly aware of how large is the gap between the developing and the developed world, but they also like to think that somehow the West is full of decadent, immoral, weak people with no values.

Ironically, such comments often come from people in countries where thousands are slaughtered due to being the wrong religion or tribe.

No one going to able to own a property in London soon if you earn less than £100000 a year.
Reply 56
Original post by astutehirstute
In what way are you “valuable to society”?

You are just a school kid and all you have ever done so far is take. Whining and childishly bitc *ing about how awful the country is, as you do.

You might become valuable, doing a worthwhile job and as a taxpayer, or you might not.
But up till now you have contributed nothing.

*****ing about how awful this country is? What? Because I pointed out that there's a culture that exists here? My god, and it's people like you who cry about political correctness.

I realise that all you people have to feel proud about in your miserable lives is your nationality but pls, dont echo that insecurity onto the internet. I know the only reason you're jumping into this conversation is because you can relate to that posters miserable existence.

Also, do understand we're the same nationality. I know it's hard for you people but that's just the way of the world.

When my cousin was in Egypt he was horrified there was a home which was like a prison near his hotel. The home has mental disabled men living there the poor men were dirty and hungry. Local Egyptians men, women and children would laugh at and mock the men as they walk by they sometime throw stones at the home.
While his views are not the views of all Egyptians, he certainly expresses an opinion that would find sympathy with many Egyptians. The country has serious issues with its treatment of women, its turning a blind eye to sexual harassment and degradation and disrespect of women.

When you allow that to go on, then it's not surprising that you end up with people like this lawyer.

do you have any evidence to back your ridiculous claim? I think not!
Original post by user2223
do you have any evidence to back your ridiculous claim? I think not!

dude...the evidence is the fact that Nabih al Wahsh hasn't been completely removed from any position he may hold currently? The evidence is that any woman that looks REMOTELY appealing - Egyptian or not - is bound to get (at the least) whistled at on the streets. I've lived this reality. Not to mention that the very laws of our country are characterized by a consistent degradation of women - and there has been no explicit disapproval of them by Egyptian men, has there?

I mean, are you even Egyptian? If you are, I get the reflexive impulse of wanting to protect the name of your country but nothing ever gets done that way. You can still love Egypt, or the UK, or Russia or whatever and be critical of it. You NEED to be critical of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending