The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Petulia
Hi,
Why did you have to do the SKE if your degree is already in Biology? Was the SKE optional or was it a condition of your offer?
Did they test your subject knowledge at the interview?

My university recommended an SKE to everyone who applied for Science because we have to teach all three sciences. However, they would put you down for your chosen Science rather than the two you don't know as well because it would be less work and, with how the SKE was set up, we still had access to the other Sciences (and I think they said it had something to do with only being eligible for the bursaries if it was your chosen Science as well, but that may be wrong or have changed for this year).

I wasn't going to do one, but I changed my mind about it when they explained it was basically just making some teaching resources that would make my life a bit easier. Also it gave us a chance to meet people on the course before it started because we have a week long summer school for the practical component, which was really nice and made me a lot more relaxed about starting. The SKE was part of my offer, but I chose it to be part of my offer if the makes sense. I'm glad I did it now, but I don't think it's made a huge difference when I compare myself to other people on the course who didn't do one.

In my interview they didn't ask me anything about subject knowledge. The person doing my interview said that as we all had degrees and the qualifications he wanted he trusted that we would be able to do GCSE level Science and didn't feel the need to test it. I think that's pretty unusual thought because most people I know who had interviews did have some sort of subject knowledge test - but they would tell you about it before the interview so don't worry!
Original post by Changing Skies
I'm hoping to apply for a secondary education PGCE (biology) very soon. Wanting to stay where I am so Edge Hill is my first choice :smile:
:shock: I know lots of people in Edge Hill since I'm from around those parts myself.:mmm:
Reply 22
Original post by chatty_george
Hi guys,
Quick update - I have an interview for Primary PGCE with Edge Hill and I’m currently being considered by UoM. Still no word from my top choice however - Man Met. Keeping everything crossed for everyone! :smile:

Hi :smile: I applied for my primary PGCE on Friday 10th to Manchester Uni (First Choice), Man Met and Liverpool Hope. I still haven't heard anything from them apart from Manchester Uni sending me an email to say that they are considering me! When do you think that Manchester Uni/Met will get back to us?
Original post by advent
Hi :smile: I applied for my primary PGCE on Friday 10th to Manchester Uni (First Choice), Man Met and Liverpool Hope. I still haven't heard anything from them apart from Manchester Uni sending me an email to say that they are considering me! When do you think that Manchester Uni/Met will get back to us?

Hi,
It’s great to hear from someone else applying for the same course to similar unis! I don’t really know when UoM will get back to us. I study there as an undergraduate final year student and I’ve had the same response too - a consideration email. Really confused about Man Met as they seem to be quite slow at getting back to PGCE applicants this year. Not sure why though :/
UCAS asks us to be patient with all choices made so I’m going to wait and see for now.
My interview at Edge Hill for primary is on 24th November at 12.30pm. I’m going to see if I can revise the primary curriculum and brush up on interview skills.
Things are starting to feel much more real - exciting times! Hope everyone gets interviews offered at their choices too! :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
:shock: I know lots of people in Edge Hill since I'm from around those parts myself.:mmm:

Ooh really? :smile: my sister went there and one of my friends is currently doing her Primary PGCE there! :h:
Reply 25
Hi,
It’s great to hear from someone else applying for the same course to similar unis! I don’t really know when UoM will get back to us. I study there as an undergraduate final year student and I’ve had the same response too - a consideration email. Really confused about Man Met as they seem to be quite slow at getting back to PGCE applicants this year. Not sure why though :/
UCAS asks us to be patient with all choices made so I’m going to wait and see for now.
My interview at Edge Hill for primary is on 24th November at 12.30pm. I’m going to see if I can revise the primary curriculum and brush up on interview skills.
Things are starting to feel much more real - exciting times! Hope everyone gets interviews offered at their choices too! :smile:

Hi! So funny after I sent this message as Manchester Met have just invited me to interview!!!
Original post by advent
Hi! So funny after I sent this message as Manchester Met have just invited me to interview!!!

Bad news for me unfortunately, Man Met rejected my application. It was my top choice which is slightly disappointing. I asked for feedback and they said my personal statement wasn’t strong enough. Never mind - got to keep positive! Anyone else finding the process a tad stressful?
Bad news for me unfortunately, Man Met rejected my application. It was my top choice which is slightly disappointing. I asked for feedback and they said my personal statement wasn’t strong enough. Never mind - got to keep positive! Anyone else finding the process a tad stressful?
:console:

They don't deserve your amazigness. :heart:
Original post by 04MR17
:console:

They don't deserve your amazigness. :heart:

Thanks so much - I'm a bit gutted but determined to improve for next time. Have a great day everyone! :smile:
Reply 29
I received an interview for Secondary MFL at University of Manchester last week! Haven't heard from my other 2 choices though! Good luck!
Original post by linguis
I received an interview for Secondary MFL at University of Manchester last week! Haven't heard from my other 2 choices though! Good luck!

Well done! I'm absolutely delighted for you. I study at Manchester Uni and absolutely love it (currently studying MFL there too!) There are some fantastic MFL resources at the university which I would highly recommend.

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 31
Had my first interview today at N. Tyneside Scitt, was rigorous but they were lovely! Two more interviews to prep for this week now!
Well done! I'm absolutely delighted for you. I study at Manchester Uni and absolutely love it (currently studying MFL there too!) There are some fantastic MFL resources at the university which I would highly recommend.

Good luck to everyone!

Quick update! I have been offered an interview with UoM for Primary PGCE. Got to prepare now for next week now! Hope everything is going well for everyone else! :smile:
Reply 33
Quick update! I have been offered an interview with UoM for Primary PGCE. Got to prepare now for next week now! Hope everything is going well for everyone else! :smile:

Fantastic!! Good luck
I'm applying for PGCE Secondary Religious Education at York St Johns and Edge Hill, and School Direct Religious Education at school local to me.

I (potentially) have 2 interviews next week - one at Edge Hill and the other at the School Direct school, but that one depends on whether I pass their internal numeracy and literacy audit the day before.

I'm feeling confident for the Edge Hill interview but a very nervous for my numeracy audit as maths is not my strong point, I know with hard work I'll be able to pass the professional skills tests before the course starts but I doubt I'll pass next week haha.
Applied on 17th October ! Looking to study Primary Education. My options are:
Greenwich (already had Interview)
Hertfordshire (interview on 22nd)
Bedfordshire (interview on 25th)
Plymouth (interview on 12th dec)
Bristol UWE (interview on 29th)
Hi, I had my interview for SCITT School Direct Salaried training yesterday and have been offered a place! Am over the moon with excitement about this! I only applied to the one place as I am being sponsored by my school to do the training, having been a TA for the last 3 years. Good luck everyone!

Skills tests next.....
Original post by laura-roberts18
Applied on 17th October ! Looking to study Primary Education. My options are:
Greenwich (already had Interview)
Hertfordshire (interview on 22nd)
Bedfordshire (interview on 25th)
Plymouth (interview on 12th dec)
Bristol UWE (interview on 29th)
Are we talking about a degree in Primary Ed here?:curious:
Yeah?
Original post by 04MR17
Are we talking about a degree in Primary Ed here?:curious: