The Student Room Group

Unconditional offers ??

Roughly what sort of GCSE grades would get you an unconditional offer ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieB123

It is all about your A-Levels and they will only offer unconditional if your PS is amazing or something
Hi, generally I don't think there is a 'set' combination. Maybe if the one or two of the unis that you apply for are slightly lower than your target grades that could prompt them to, possibly. I feel like unconditionals are given more with a killer personal statement in mind, but strong grades definitely help.
(btw, I'm a year 13 student so really just as in the dark as you) :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by damn daniel yeah
It is all about your A-Levels and they will only offer unconditional if your PS is amazing or something

So is it based on your A-level predictions ?
So is it based on your A-level predictions ?

Yes GCSE's mean very little to universitys as long as english and Maths are a pass
Reply 5
Original post by georginarowley
Hi, generally I don't think there is a 'set' combination. Maybe if the one or two of the unis that you apply for are slightly lower than your target grades that could prompt them to, possibly. I feel like unconditionals are given more with a killer personal statement in mind, but strong grades definitely help.
(btw, I'm a year 13 student so really just as in the dark as you) :smile:

Okie dokie. Thanks.
It depends very much on which university you're applying for and what course. My friend is predicted Bs and got an unconditional from Wolverhampton. My GCSE's were 3 A*s, 4 As, 2 Bs, AS levels ABBBC, and i got an unconditional from UEA for english literature and creative writing.
Reply 7
Original post by damn daniel yeah
Yes GCSE's mean very little to universitys as long as english and Maths are a pass

Okay thank you

It's not about GCSE grades but A Levels. Usually unconditional are only given to those who are on gap year and reapplying, those who have met their UCAS point criteria for any reason e.g. 80 entry requirement and having AAAA at AS, or mature students not in education.

Sometimes an exceptional personal statement, a really solid reference, and AS grades or BTEC Year 1 grades that promise reaching the entry requirement e.g. BBC entry requirement and having BBB at AS or DDD at Year 1 BTEC and DDM entry requirement - but this very rare. :smile:

If you're talking about college or sixth form offers usually they're always conditional. Very rare any college or sixth are unconditional.
Reply 9

There are two types of Unconditional Offer.

1) You apply with your A-level grades already achieved. i.e. in a gap year. All universities will give Unconditional offers in these cases.

Or

2) You apply with predicted grades and then *some* universities might give an unconditional but only if you make them your firm choice. It's extremely important to note these offers are for the benefit of the university, not so much for the applicant. It simply helps the university to secure student numbers.

Don't be impressed by "Unconditional if Firm" offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by yellowcopter
It's not about GCSE grades but A Levels. Usually unconditional are only given to those who are on gap year and reapplying, those who have met their UCAS point criteria for any reason e.g. 80 entry requirement and having AAAA at AS, or mature students not in education.

Sometimes an exceptional personal statement, a really solid reference, and AS grades or BTEC Year 1 grades that promise reaching the entry requirement e.g. BBC entry requirement and having BBB at AS or DDD at Year 1 BTEC and DDM entry requirement - but this very rare. :smile:

If you're talking about college or sixth form offers usually they're always conditional. Very rare any college or sixth are unconditional.

My brother received 3 unconditional offers with his personal statement, gcse grades and I’m guessing some AS grades. Since this was before he’d completed his a-levels I presumed his GCSE grades may have influenced this decision.
Original post by Doonesbury
There are two types of Unconditional Offer.

1) You apply with your A-level grades already achieved. i.e. in a gap year. All universities will give Unconditional offers in these cases.

Or

2) You apply with predicted grades and then *some* universities might give an unconditional but only if you make them your firm choice. It's extremely important to note these offers are for the benefit of the university, not so much for the applicant. It simply helps the university to secure student numbers.

Don't be impressed by "Unconditional if Firm" offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand now, thanks.
My brother received 3 unconditional offers with his personal statement, gcse grades and I’m guessing some AS grades. Since this was before he’d completed his a-levels I presumed his GCSE grades may have influenced this decision.

What were the AS grades and the university?

If it was like AAA then he applied to somewhere like Bolton then I wouldn't be surprised. :tongue:
Reply 13
I understand now, thanks.

If you would have chosen the university even without an unconditional offer then great, but even then your A-levels are still very important and you will need to keep working and doing well. For example, future employers will also be interested in your A-levels.
Original post by dylanstudies
It depends very much on which university you're applying for and what course. My friend is predicted Bs and got an unconditional from Wolverhampton. My GCSE's were 3 A*s, 4 As, 2 Bs, AS levels ABBBC, and i got an unconditional from UEA for english literature and creative writing.

Nice, I got an unconditonal from UEA too, for English Literature. Do you think you'll take it?
Original post by yellowcopter
What were the AS grades and the university?

If it was like AAA then he applied to somewhere like Bolton then I wouldn't be surprised. :tongue:

His unconditional’s were from Birmingham, Liverpool and I think Manchester. His AS grades were something like A*AB and his GCSE grades were really good (mainly A*s and A’s and one b).
Original post by georginarowley
Nice, I got an unconditonal from UEA too, for English Literature. Do you think you'll take it?

I'm thinking about it, because I want to be a novellist and it seems like the way to go for that path, but I'm kind of influenced by the whole Russell Group thing and I have 3 Russell Group conditionals... and 2 of them are top 2 on the leaderboards for my course. So i'M LIKE AAAA???
Original post by Doonesbury
If you would have chosen the university even without an unconditional offer then great, but even then your A-levels are still very important and you will need to keep working and doing well. For example, future employers will also be interested in your A-levels.

I was just curious as I thought the GCSE grades influenced my brothers unconditional offer a lot but possibly not. I will continue to work hard with my a-level studies. :smile:
His unconditional’s were from Birmingham, Liverpool and I think Manchester. His AS grades were something like A*AB and his GCSE grades were really good (mainly A*s and A’s and one b).

You can not have A* in AS + Manchester doesn´t give unconditional offers.
Reply 19
I was just curious as I thought the GCSE grades influenced my brothers unconditional offer a lot but possibly not. I will continue to work hard with my a-level studies. :smile:

Birmingham is especially "famous" for UiFs. Having good grades does help.

Quick Reply