The Student Room Group

Tesla roadster 2020

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/17/16655800/tesla-electric-semi-truck-roadster-recap-elon-musk

0-60mph in 1.9 seconds, a top speed of 250mph and a range of 620 miles on a single charge.

That's one amazing looking car I think :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Shell and BP on suicide watch :cool:
Reply 2
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/17/16655800/tesla-electric-semi-truck-roadster-recap-elon-musk

0-60mph in 1.9 seconds, a top speed of 250mph and a range of 620 miles on a single charge.

Maybe if we all chip in one pound we will be able to afford the car then we can take turns having a drive in it😂
I can't wait until the London cabbies who lobbied against Uber get put out of jobs by driverless cars too

Truly technology will create a more just world.
Right now, this is just vapourware, just like those Devel people who claim 5000hp and 560kmph. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds is impossible no matter how much torque you have unless you have ultra sticky drag tyres or mess around with the timings (Tesla often test their cars excluding the rollout which lops off a couple of tenths from the time).

Tesla is impressive, but I don't think this will be ready by 2020 judging by how slowly the Model 3 is going. If I had to bet on it, 2023. By that time, other manufacturers will probably have surpassed them.
Original post by TheMindGarage
Right now, this is just vapourware, just like those Devel people who claim 5000hp and 560kmph. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds is impossible no matter how much torque you have unless you have ultra sticky drag tyres or mess around with the timings (Tesla often test their cars excluding the rollout which lops off a couple of tenths from the time).

Tesla is impressive, but I don't think this will be ready by 2020 judging by how slowly the Model 3 is going. If I had to bet on it, 2023. By that time, other manufacturers will probably have surpassed them.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogbo0Vg5huM looks pretty convincing. You can't see the speed dial though so I can't confirm but it's damn quick that's for sure.
(edited 6 years ago)
This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIk_6Y-pXo8 looks pretty convincing. You can't see the speed dial though so I can't confirm but it's damn quick that's for sure.

Ridiculously quick, but it's hard to tell from a video between 1.9 and 2.5.

What I think will be more impressive is the pull past 60. Other Teslas rapidly run out of torque at high speeds, but if this thing can do 250, it must really pull like mad. I wonder how a drag race between it and the Koenigsegg Regera would pan out.

What I think will be more impressive is the pull past 60. Other Teslas rapidly run out of torque at high speeds, but if this thing can do 250, it must really pull like mad. I wonder how a drag race between it and the Koenigsegg Regera would pan out.

>comparing the new Tesla with a car which sells for almost 8x the price

There is a video of a Tesla beating a lambo :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NnNEuxqoPo

I guess we won't know for sure until it hits the streets but I think Tesla is a great company with a genuine passion for their tech.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
>comparing the new Tesla with a car which sells for almost 8x the price

The Regera is available now. The Tesla is currently just vapourware, just like the Devel Sixteen I mentioned earlier.

Price is not the only factor. Sure, a Dodge Demon will beat a far more expensive custom-built Rolls-Royce in a quarter mile. Different cars, different goals. For the Tesla vs Regera, I'm just curious how it'd work out and whether the Regera would catch the Tesla after the initial launch.
The Regera is available now. The Tesla is currently just vapourware, just like the Devel Sixteen I mentioned earlier.

Price is not the only factor. Sure, a Dodge Demon will beat a far more expensive custom-built Rolls-Royce in a quarter mile. Different cars, different goals. For the Tesla vs Regera, I'm just curious how it'd work out and whether the Regera would catch the Tesla after the initial launch.

It's almost as if that's my point.

The Regera is a limited production toy for very wealthy people, the Tesla roadster will be mass produced and available to upper middle class professionals.

If those facts are true. This is going to be one insane car. At one insane price.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
It's almost as if that's my point.

The Regera is a limited production toy for very wealthy people, the Tesla roadster will be mass produced and available to upper middle class professionals.

True, but as I said, the Tesla does not exist yet outside of prototypes. You can't say or imply that a car is better when it does not exist yet.

And not many upper-middle-class professionals can afford a $200k toy (given they probably already have an S-class for daily use). Price becomes less and less relevant at this point.
Original post by Ryanthom100
If those facts are true. This is going to be one insane car. At one insane price.

$200,000 retail price apparently.
Reply 15

I think its always good having an ambitious timeline to be held to as it makes u work faster to try and achieve this deadline. I feel that with conservative timelines there is no rush or drive to get it done as soon as.

Other manufacturers may surpass them, however, i feel that tesla has thrown down the gauntlet and challenged other manufacturers to try and beat there electric car concept, if they get beat in the process they have still steered car development to electric vehicles which have the potential to be a lot better environmentally and economically than diesel or petrol equivalents.
Original post by Shaanv
I think its always good having an ambitious timeline to be held to as it makes u work faster to try and achieve this deadline. I feel that with conservative timelines there is no rush or drive to get it done as soon as.

Other manufacturers may surpass them, however, i feel that tesla has thrown down the gauntlet and challenged other manufacturers to try and beat there electric car concept, if they get beat in the process they have still steered car development to electric vehicles which have the potential to be a lot better environmentally and economically than diesel or petrol equivalents.

I definitely think Tesla has done a great job at getting others to step up. However, I think Musk is a dreamer who promises and rarely delivers. Especially with Autopilot. That technology will not be truly ready for at least another decade and until then, it needs to be marketed as the driver assistance system that it is, rather than a driver replacement.

Electric cars are great, but I really wish the same amount of attention was given to renewable power stations.
Elon Musk is full of nonsense. He's been claiming energy revolutions for ages, a couple of years ago his powerwalls were going to change the world. He's also gone on about manned flights to Mars in 10 years - which is beyond Star Trek levels of optimism of futurism. He's losing millions of pounds a day - he literally thinks he's a visionary engineer, when he's really just peddling dreams.

Visionary engineers bring the Prius to market. Boring cars that uber drivers buy - not supercars that no one wants to buy.
Original post by Trinculo
Elon Musk is full of nonsense. He's been claiming energy revolutions for ages, a couple of years ago his powerwalls were going to change the world. He's also gone on about manned flights to Mars in 10 years - which is beyond Star Trek levels of optimism of futurism. He's losing millions of pounds a day - he literally thinks he's a visionary engineer, when he's really just peddling dreams.

Visionary engineers bring the Prius to market. Boring cars that uber drivers buy - not supercars that no one wants to buy.

The people that buy those cars will fund the next series of engineering. There is a lot of hype around Elon but no doubt he is trying to solve real world problems and for some reason I believe he really does car.

He is ambitious and rich... Don't estimate such people :tongue:
The people that buy those cars will fund the next series of engineering. There is a lot of hype around Elon but no doubt he is trying to solve real world problems and for some reason I believe he really does car.

He is ambitious and rich... Don't estimate such people :tongue:

The people that buy Priuses fund the next series of engineering......for Toyota, not Tesla. The only thing keeping Tesla in business are green energy grants.

Real-world problems, especially environmental ones, don't get solved at the top end - because no-one buys supercars except the super rich. Real world problems get solved by boring, marginal solutions. The Prius is a success because it saves boring people a bit of money. We cut waste in this country by putting a 5p charge on carrier bags.

Lots of people are ambitious and rich, but it's the ones with the big mouths that have the longest trails of failure behind them. Think of Stelios and Richard Branson. They have had one or two successes out and dozens of failures- yet they can't shut up about how clever they are.

Quick Reply

Latest