The Student Room Group

Nottingham or Loughborough?

I really don't know which university I want to go to between these two. They're both similar in terms of ranking and they're both really close to each other so the quality of the uni and the distance aren't the problems for me. Which one do you guys think is better? Has anyone been to both open days and preferred one over the other, if so why?
What course? What career ambitions?
Reply 2
Original post by Humz007
What course? What career ambitions?

Psychology and hopefully going into forensic psychology in the future
Reply 3
Original post by aninozaut
I really don't know which university I want to go to between these two. They're both similar in terms of ranking and they're both really close to each other so the quality of the uni and the distance aren't the problems for me. Which one do you guys think is better? Has anyone been to both open days and preferred one over the other, if so why?

Do you have offers from both?

Have *you* visited both - your own opinion is more relevant than strangers...

And, most importantly, you don't have to choose until May next year. There is no rush.
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
Do you have offers from both?

Have *you* visited both - your own opinion is more relevant than strangers...

And, most importantly, you don't have to choose until May next year. There is no rush.

I have an offer from Loughborough and I think I could get one from nottingham considering they're the same entry requirement for psychology. And the problem is I haven't been to any open days for these unis! Only recently I decided to apply for these unis but it was too late to visit the open days
For one, Loughborough isn't a Russel Group Uni, whilst Nottingham is, so that's definitely something you might want to consider
Reply 6
I have an offer from Loughborough and I think I could get one from nottingham considering they're the same entry requirement for psychology. And the problem is I haven't been to any open days for these unis! Only recently I decided to apply for these unis but it was too late to visit the open days

Well if you have a spare choice then apply. Then if you get the 2 offers you can visit both, and decide.

Ultimately the most important thing is finding the best course for you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Nottingham is far more reputable worldwide and a very employable uni. Not only this, it is a much better location than Loughborough, which some may joke is a village

Hi aninozaut

Congrats on your offer. :biggrin:

You'll be invited to an applicant day, so you can have a good look around then. Similarly if you get an offer from Nottingham, you'll be invited there too. You don't have to make a decision until May, so it's definitely worth waiting to make your decision until you've visited both and see which one suits you the best.

Other's opinions are always interesting to see - but ultimately it's about which you think you'll be happier at, so really think a visit is the best way to make your mind up if that's at all possible.

If you need any info, have a look on our forum pages here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=125 or just ask - we're always happy to help.

Vicky
Reply 9
Original post by Vanilla Twilight
For one, Loughborough isn't a Russel Group Uni, whilst Nottingham is, so that's definitely something you might want to consider

No it's not definitely worth considering... Universities that are part of the Russell Group are only in there because they research science and have some kind of STEM centre. If not science, in general they are research intensive universities (meaning the lecturers care more about their own research than your studies).

It barely makes any difference.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by bbiddell
No it's not definitely worth considering... Universities that are part of the Russell Group are only in there because they research science and have some kind of STEM centre. If not science, in general they are research intensive universities (meaning the lecturers care more about their own research than your studies).

It barely makes any difference.

Russell Group unis are all high in the university league tables but I agree that it probably makes no difference. You might be more likely to be employed though and most Russel Group unis have high teaching standards. It depends if you're doing a science type subject or not.
Reply 11
Original post by Vanilla Twilight
Russell Group unis are all high in the university league tables but I agree that it probably makes no difference. You might be more likely to be employed though and most Russel Group unis have high teaching standards. It depends if you're doing a science type subject or not.

Loughborough is ranked higher than many RG universities. It also has a Gold TEF unlike many in the RG.

The RG is not a guarantee of quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending