The Student Room Group

What should I retake for maths?

For the 2017 AS exams I got:
M1- D
C1 -C
C2 - B
I would really like an A overall but I was thinking of retaking only C1 since M1 would add alot of extra pressure as I'm also doing biology and religious studies.
Could you guys give me suggestions? Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by hh_vv
M1- D
C1 -C
C2 - B
I would really like an A overall but I was thinking of retaking only C1 since M1 would add alot of extra pressure as I'm also doing biology and religious studies.

If you want an A then it's going to be really tough to get with a D and B in AS units. So unfortunately I would recommend retaking M1 and probably C2 also.

Which A2 applied unit are you doing? If it's M2 then you'll probably find that M1 becomes much easier.

I recommend speaking to your teacher about all this if you haven't already.
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
If you want an A then it's going to be really tough to get with a D and B in AS units. So unfortunately I would recommend retaking M1 and probably C2 also.

Which A2 applied unit are you doing? If it's M2 then you'll probably find that M1 becomes much easier.

I recommend speaking to your teacher about all this if you haven't already.

I'm doing d1 for applied this year. I got a B in c2 so should I do c1 and m1 as they are my worst grades?
Original post by hh_vv
I'm doing d1 for applied this year. I got a B in c2 so should I do c1 and m1 as they are my worst grades?

If I was looking at it, C1 shouldn't be hard for you neither should C2 so retake both as you should be able to get an A in those two. Although C2 should be your priority. Also, like @Notnek said retaking M1 would be beneficial to you if you are doing M2 because the concepts would become more clear enabling you to perform much better in your resit hopefully.
Reply 4
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
If I was looking at it, C1 shouldn't be hard for you neither should C2 so retake both as you should be able to get an A in those two. Although C2 should be your priority. Also, like @Notnek said retaking M1 would be beneficial to you if you are doing M2 because the concepts would become more clear enabling you to perform much better in your resit hopefully.

Will the best grades be added overall?
Original post by hh_vv
Will the best grades be added overall?

Do you mean UMS wise? Yes I believe so. They take your higher score from both tests so if you got (lets hope not) a U in C2, they would consider your first grade which is a B.
Reply 6
Original post by hh_vv

Yes you should do M1 and C1. I would advise also doing C2 again if you have the time to revise it.
If you are after an A you probably want a minimum of a B, preferably an A in all modules so I would definitely resit M1 and C1
Reply 8
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
Do you mean UMS wise? Yes I believe so. They take your higher score from both tests so if you got (lets hope not) a U in C2, they would consider your first grade which is a B.

Oh right, thank you
Reply 9
Original post by hh_vv
M1- D
C1 -C
C2 - B

Hey guys an update on this, I spoke to my teacher and she thinks it's easier to resit c1 and c2 only as m1 may take alot of work. I'm not doing m2 either so would it be possible to still get a good grade by retaking these modules?
Reply 10
I did C1,c2 and S1 in AS and got BCC respectively.
Then I retook C1 and c2 and along with c3 c4 and m1 in A2 I got an A overall. I got an A in all modules apart from my c from the S1 module.
So in the end I had AAAAAC which came out as an A overall. So yeah its possible.
Reply 11
Original post by H3n
I did C1,c2 and S1 in AS and got BCC respectively.
Then I retook C1 and c2 and along with c3 c4 and m1 in A2 I got an A overall. I got an A in all modules apart from my c from the S1 module.
So in the end I had AAAAAC which came out as an A overall. So yeah its possible.

Did it take less effort to get those grades for c1 and c2?
Original post by hh_vv
M1- D
C1 -C
C2 - B

I'll be honest and say that, u=in my experience it is unlikely you will get a grade A. What were your UMS? That will give us a better idea ...

I'd tend to suggest retaking C1 and C2 but I'll confirm when you post your UMS.
Reply 13
Yeah, c3 and c4 basically build on c1 and c2 so revising them whilst studying c3 and c4 helped me understand c3 and 4 better anyway. But yes C1 and c2 were easier second time round
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
I'll be honest and say that, u=in my experience it is unlikely you will get a grade A. What were your UMS? That will give us a better idea ...

I'd tend to suggest retaking C1 and C2 but I'll confirm when you post your UMS.

why would it be unlikely? My ums are 65, 72 and 54
Original post by hh_vv
why would it be unlikely? My ums are 65, 72 and 54

Total ums = 191 [grade C] and you need 480 for an A.

In my experience people find C3 and C4 more difficult and you have no grade A modules yet.
Reply 16
Original post by H3n
Yeah, c3 and c4 basically build on c1 and c2 so revising them whilst studying c3 and c4 helped me understand c3 and 4 better anyway. But yes C1 and c2 were easier second time round

Was there anything specific you did to improve those grades? Like did you just use the textbook then do practice questions?
Reply 17
Original post by hh_vv
Was there anything specific you did to improve those grades? Like did you just use the textbook then do practice questions?

Lots of past papers (almost all of them) bar a couple from like 2005. Went to workshops at my college to go through questions I couldn’t do. And just practice practice practice. The text book is good for specific questions and areas of maths but past papers generally get you to use those skills in different scenarios.

Quick Reply

Latest