The Student Room Group

My weight loss thread

Normally 65kg, started going to the gym this summer so ate soo much and am now £73.

Aim is to get back to 60kg-

Im cutting out all sugar and exercising as much as I can. But you know how it is with GCSE.

How can I lose weight? While working for the straight A*'s and 9s
Original post by hannah429
Normally 65kg, started going to the gym this summer so ate soo much and am now £73.

Aim is to get back to 60kg-

Im cutting out all sugar and exercising as much as I can. But you know how it is with GCSE.

How can I lose weight? While working for the straight A*'s and 9s

You went from 65kg to £73? :s-smilie:
Honestly, I'd really recommend either not trying to lose weight at all or doing it a bit more gently. Our bodies have a natural 'set point' which is the weight they tend to stick to/naturally rest at. In theory, you should eventually get back to this as your hunger cues regulate themselves so you consume just the right amount of energy. You might also have just gained a bit of 'puppy fat' or whatever before growth spurt.

If you REALLY want to lose weight, do it gradually by exercising a bit more. Running is really good as as it's easy to get into and can help develop stronger bones. Don't overdo it with exercise otherwise you'll end up really hungry and eating back what you burn off - you could try a more gentler exercise like walking to avoid this. Over exercise is also unhealthy and can lead to exhaustion, becoming obsessed, or an eating disorder/similar.

Likewise with completely cutting out sugar, you are likely to just become hungrier/crave it more and thus eat more as a result. Even if this doesn't happen, extreme diet changes are unhealthy and again, can lead to exhaustion, eating disorders, etc. Becoming food + exercise isn't healthy, especially not when you're still at an age where you're growing + developing physically and mentally - it certainly won't help you get all A*s!

As someone with first hand experience of this, I wish I hadn't been so obsessed with my weight during my GCSEs and just tried to enjoy my life at the time. Yeah I still go amazing grades, but my mental health was and still is rubbish and I'm paying the price a bit at A Level now. I know it probably sounds patronising + irritating but honestly you're too young to be worried about your weight - just try and enjoy your final year(s) of secondary school and focus on studying :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kevin Hodge
You went from 65kg to £73? :s-smilie:

Thank you for the advice! Love the choice of ":s-smilie:"
Reply 4
Original post by Escherichiaaa
Honestly, I'd really recommend either not trying to lose weight at all or doing it a bit more gently. Our bodies have a natural 'set point' which is the weight they tend to stick to/naturally rest at. In theory, you should eventually get back to this as your hunger cues regulate themselves so you consume just the right amount of energy. You might also have just gained a bit of 'puppy fat' or whatever before growth spurt.

If you REALLY want to lose weight, do it gradually by exercising a bit more. Running is really good as as it's easy to get into and can help develop stronger bones. Don't overdo it with exercise otherwise you'll end up really hungry and eating back what you burn off - you could try a more gentler exercise like walking to avoid this. Over exercise is also unhealthy and can lead to exhaustion, becoming obsessed, or an eating disorder/similar.

Likewise with completely cutting out sugar, you are likely to just become hungrier/crave it more and thus eat more as a result. Even if this doesn't happen, extreme diet changes are unhealthy and again, can lead to exhaustion, eating disorders, etc. Becoming food + exercise isn't healthy, especially not when you're still at an age where you're growing + developing physically and mentally - it certainly won't help you get all A*s!

As someone with first hand experience of this, I wish I hadn't been so obsessed with my weight during my GCSEs and just tried to enjoy my life at the time. Yeah I still go amazing grades, but my mental health was and still is rubbish and I'm paying the price a bit at A Level now. I know it probably sounds patronising + irritating but honestly you're too young to be worried about your weight - just try and enjoy your final year(s) of secondary school and focus on studying :smile:

Thank youuuu. But I'm pretty sure I can permanently cut sugar out. It's the exercise that I'm worried about (taking up a lot of time)
Reply 5
Find a way to work out your timetable. Making sure doing effective, yet simple & short workouts is far more important than spending hours doing exercises that aren't. I usually find the time to study when i'm feeling more energetic and motivated, so I suggest that you mix up your routines and see what works best for you. For example revising for say, 2 hours? But every 30 minutes you use a 15 minute break to do a quick burst workout session, then continue revising and so on.

Also, make sure you research into what your BMR is. Essentially, then you will know your calorie intake and can help you lose weight faster. Also remember to not focus on just the number on the scale. It could be that you're losing fat and gaining muscle.

Hope these tips work out for you! And best of luck to your weight loss journey! :h: :suith::suith:

http://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html <- BMR CALCULATOR
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
There are many things out there to help you out achieve 60Kg. Of course, you always want it to be the safest way possible. In my case, I dropped 5kg in a few weeks by just cutting down on sugars and Carbohydrates. It is amazing how fast our bodies adjust to changes in diet, the hard part of it is controlling the mental urge of eating. Working out moderately and cutting down in sugars and carbs will get you amazing results in a matter of days. You will be able to notice how good this is!

Best wishes,

Ana

Quick Reply

Latest