The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

British workers wanted TV

An interesting TV programme about Brexit and British workers. It not surprising EU workers are drifting away from Britain but it seems replacing EU workers with British ones in minimum wage jobs is going to be tough.

Maybe its time to increase minimum wages but thats going to raise prices and maybe increase inflation as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tamsin-summers/british-workers-wanted_b_18564470.html

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maker
An interesting TV programme about Brexit and British workers. It not surprising EU workers are drifting away from Britain but it seems replacing EU workers with British ones in minimum wage jobs is going to be tough.

Maybe its time to increase minimum wages but thats going to raise prices and maybe increase inflation as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tamsin-summers/british-workers-wanted_b_18564470.html

Strange thread title.

Not surprising British workers might be reluctant to do some of the min wage jobs because pay levels have been driven down by the E Europeans. the difference is to them its acceptable money as its higher than they can earn in their own country plus its short term. The other aspect is that since the fall in the value of the £ its also less attractive to work in the UK.

Its a bit more complicated than British workers being work shy.
Original post by Maker

I watched it and all it showed was the minimum wage should be much higher.
Original post by paul514

a lot of employers are small company in the building trade etc make little profit and often make a lost. Those companies would like to pay there workers more than minimum wage but often the manager can't pay himself but still pays his workers.

I believe that large company like Tesco should be made to pay the living wage.
Original post by looloo2134
a lot of employers are small company in the building trade etc make little profit and often make a lost. Those companies would like to pay there workers more than minimum wage but often the manager can't pay himself but still pays his workers.

I believe that large company like Tesco should be made to pay the living wage.

Companies that don’t make a profit go out of business.

Companies that can’t afford to pay its workers a good amount of wages so they can lead decent secure lives shouldn’t be in business.
Original post by paul514
Companies that don’t make a profit go out of business.

Companies that can’t afford to pay its workers a good amount of wages so they can lead decent secure lives shouldn’t be in business.

Small campanies that don't make profit on one job make a profit next job that how they stay a float

The employees choose workers for the company and get that wage by the why there wage go up if they work hard turn up on time and don't whiny.

A friend he British by the way started at a small box factory on minimum wage after 3 month he was a trainee manager with a company car earning £28.000 a year.
Original post by 999tigger
Strange thread title.

Not surprising British workers might be reluctant to do some of the min wage jobs because pay levels have been driven down by the E Europeans. the difference is to them its acceptable money as its higher than they can earn in their own country plus its short term. The other aspect is that since the fall in the value of the £ its also less attractive to work in the UK.

Its a bit more complicated than British workers being work shy.

A minimum wage job does not always stay a minimum wage job people who work hard turn up on time fit in get pay increases training and go up the career ladder. I know a lot of people who are now high earners who started at the bottom of the company. A lot of people can't seen the bigger picture they start on low wage and work there why up
Small campanies that don't make profit on one job make a profit next job that how they stay a float

The employees choose workers for the company and get that wage by the why there wage go up if they work hard turn up on time and don't whiny.

A friend he British by the way started at a small box factory on minimum wage after 3 month he was a trainee manager with a company car earning £28.000 a year.

I didn’t say on a particular job I said a company that doesn’t make a profit, that’s over all.

The people choose to work for that wage as nothing else is available for them.

If the minimum wage was 5 pounds they would still have to do the same job, that isn’t the answer and my previous answer still remains the point.
Perhaps the answer is to remain in the single market when we leave the EU, with some restrictions.
Reply 9
Maybe, the answer is to be less generous with benefits so people have to work. Some Brits seem to think minimum wage jobs lead nowhere and don't have the ambition to get a better paid job.
Original post by Maker
Maybe, the answer is to be less generous with benefits so people have to work. Some Brits seem to think minimum wage jobs lead nowhere and don't have the ambition to get a better paid job.

Benefits are far too low hence all the issues
Original post by paul514

Unemployment in the UK is below what would normally be considered full employment.

That should cause workers to be in a strong position, to negotiate for higher wages and better conditions. Workers should be able to turn down work in this situation.

However in the real world wages aren't going up, productivity isn't going up and the economy is still producing thousands more jobs. The entire economic underpinning of the neo-liberal consensus is being undermined...
Original post by mojojojo101
Unemployment in the UK is below what would normally be considered full employment.

That should cause workers to be in a strong position, to negotiate for higher wages and better conditions. Workers should be able to turn down work in this situation.

However in the real world wages aren't going up, productivity isn't going up and the economy is still producing thousands more jobs. The entire economic underpinning of the neo-liberal consensus is being undermined...

Still 1.6 million unemployed people and 5 million people who want more work as they are part time or want another job as well.

There is also more people on the minimum wage now than there ever has been.

It needs to be raised a lot to at least 10 pounds an hour right now but as that isn’t how that works I’d make it a raise from now until 2022 to 12 pounds
Original post by paul514
I didn’t say on a particular job I said a company that doesn’t make a profit, that’s over all.

If the minimum wage was 5 pounds they would still have to do the same job, that isn’t the answer and my previous answer still remains the point.

I on £7.50 and 40 hours week that £300 a week I'm British. People who are healthy on the dole who don't take minimum wage full time job are nothing but lazy.
Original post by paul514

The minimum £7.50 but 5 pound it gone up every years along with living costs. British people just think there to good for minimum wage and would rather sit at home on the dole.

My friend own a employment agency 75% of people the job centre sent don't turn up and that for an £8.50 hour full time job.
The minimum £7.50 but 5 pound it gone up every years along with living costs. British people just think there to good for minimum wage and would rather sit at home on the dole.

My friend own a employment agency 75% of people the job centre sent don't turn up and that for an £8.50 hour full time job.

Or they will continue to search for a better paying job.

Also British people are too good to be paid 7.50 an hour it isn’t enough to live a decent life on.

That’s why it needs to be raised by a lot
I on £7.50 and 40 hours week that £300 a week I'm British. People who are healthy on the dole who don't take minimum wage full time job are nothing but lazy.

Are you sure you’re British? It doesn’t sound like it
And what are your circumstances?
Family to support? Housing to pay for? Etc
How old are you? Single? Sharing a house?
Before you can accuse people of laziness, find out their circumstances first
Reply 17
Original post by Maker

Increase the minimum wage to the living wage and see what happens.
Original post by Sammylou40
Are you sure you’re British? It doesn’t sound like it
And what are your circumstances?
Family to support? Housing to pay for? Etc
How old are you? Single? Sharing a house?
Before you can accuse people of laziness, find out their circumstances first

I white British working woman who know the value of hard work. I not a lazy person who every week stand out the job centre smoking and swearing at the staff. I walk past them every day on why home from work

I'm a single British woman who rent a studio flat for £150 a week and pay my bills and food all from £300 a week. I don't calm any benefits and don't get help from my family. I even go out one night a week .
I white British working woman who know the value of hard work. I not a lazy person who every week stand out the job centre smoking and swearing at the staff. I walk past them every day on why home from work

I'm a single British woman who rent a studio flat for £150 a week and pay my bills and food all from £300 a week. I don't calm any benefits and don't get help from my family. I even go out one night a week .

Ok. And you can do that because you’re single!
You don’t have children to feed and clothe.
And I’m not convinced you’re English either......

Latest

Trending

Trending