The Student Room Group

question core 3

Given that y=(3x-7)^5 +5(3x-7)^4, show that dy/dx=45(3x-7)^3(x-1)

When i differentiated the original equation, i got:
dy/dx=15(3x-7)^4 + 60(3x-7)^3
I assume i have to simply this but i'm unsure how. So far, i have tried making dy/dx=0 and taking away 60(3x-7)^3, but this doesn't seem to work?
Original post by Chelsea12345

I assume i have to simply this but i'm unsure how. So far, i have tried making dy/dx=0 and taking away 60(3x-7)^3, but this doesn't seem to work?

Although it is good that you have tried something (seriously, not in a patronising way) setting the equation to 0 isn't justified by any info given in the question.

Notice that a + b has turned into one term - which would be your hint that the question wants you to f _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e and then simplify it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Although it is good that you have tried something (seriously, not in a patronising way) setting the equation to 0 isn't justified by any info given in the question.

Notice that a + b has turned into one term - which would be your hint that the question wants you to f _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e and then simplify it.

is there meant to be a space there? or is the word not appearing?
is there meant to be a space there? or is the word not appearing?

he is trying not to give you too much help:

F _ _ _ O _ _ _ E
Original post by the bear
he is trying not to give you too much help:

F _ _ _ O _ _ _ E

Is there a C in there? :beard:
Original post by RDKGames
Is there a C in there? :beard:

F _ C _ O _ _ _ E

next !!
U?

What if I tell you that if we let a=3x7a=3x-7 then our expression for yy' is simply 15a4+60a315a^4+60a^3, which can be simplified by....?

Quick Reply

Latest