The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redonks
i've done a practice mmi too and tbh it made it seem like not much preparation is useful/necessary ?
I'll prob just go through my work experience notes and current issues and have a vague idea about what to say for questions like why vet med

Yeah I agree with this because so many different topics can come up! I'm basically going to do the same preparation as you're doing.
Original post by Viapurifico
What did you do at your mock MMI?

My school just did 8 stations all with different activities/questions to give us a feeling for what a real MMI would be like.
Tips for MMIs :

1) Don't panic. Its tempting to start talking as soon as you are asked the question, and to say the first thing that comes into your head.
2) Start with something like 'My first thoughts are ...' and this gives you a slight thinking pause, and then after stating a few ideas, say something like 'On the other hand...' or 'An alternative viewpoint might be that..' - this shows that you can think on your feet and are mature enough to see that there are opposing viewpoints, even if you don't agree with them.
3) Listen to any subsequent questions. You brain will be on overtime trying to work out if what you just said was sensible or not. Forget it, You cant change that bit. Listen to the next question and respond to what is being asked - not what you wish you'd actually said in answer to the initial question.
4) In the role-plays they are testing your communication skills - that isnt just talking, its about listening as well.
5) If its not clear what the question or task is - ask for clarification.
6) ALWAYS smile and say thank you when leaving a station - its all about showing professionalism.

GOOD LUCK!
Original post by 00red5023
I've heard thats the best thing to do
I've applied to RVC, Liverpool, Cambridge and Edinburgh and only have one interview so am starting to worry :frown:

Original post by AmeliaM
I have applied to the same apart from Notts instead of Liverpool yet to hear from any of them :frown:

it's still early days there's no need to worry :smile:
Original post by Lucia12
Me neither 😰😰

I've not heard anything from Bristol either :frown:
Haven't got any interview offers but I haven't been rejected on ucas track yet. Anyone else still not got an interview?
Original post by VictiniCup
Haven't got any interview offers but I haven't been rejected on ucas track yet. Anyone else still not got an interview?

You're in the same boat as me, just not heard from anyone yet! Except an email from surrey asking me to clarify my work experience. But keeping my hopes up, it's still early days and they all have a hell of a lot of applications to look through :smile:
I've got an interview for Accelerated Vet med at RVC :biggrin:. Super excited but very apprehensive about these MMI stations!
I’m gunna apply for vet med in 2018 but have found it so difficult to find work experience in a vet. Can anyone tell me how many hours they roughly did of work experience in a vet?
Original post by harissuleman
I’m gunna apply for vet med in 2018 but have found it so difficult to find work experience in a vet. Can anyone tell me how many hours they roughly did of work experience in a vet?

I think we’ve all had the same problem. Finding work experience in a vet practice is really difficult. Unless you know the vet or any other staff personally then it seems literally impossible. Literally, get a list of vet practices up that are around your area (the RCVS has a list) and send emails to as many as you can... the carpet bombing approach seems to work quite well. You’ll find somewhere! Just keep emailing ☺️

From personal experience, I think you have a much better success rate if you ask for work experience in person. I sent emails and letters out to all the practices on the island that I live on and only had one email in response. However, by turning up you are showing that you're serious and willing to make an effort and they also kinda have to give you an answer on the spot so you aren't kept waiting weeks for an email back.

Best of luck, keep persevering :-)

(I did 4 weeks, 2 weeks and 1 week at three different SA practices)
If you have animals then I recommend that you ask your own vet first. Vets do get so many requests for work placements that they sometimes restrict them to their clients' children.

Original post by domiash
I've got an interview for Accelerated Vet med at RVC :biggrin:. Super excited but very apprehensive about these MMI stations!

Congrats!! When did you find out?
Original post by Luci_00
Congrats!! When did you find out?

Thanks! Had an email from them on Friday evening :-)
Original post by domiash
From personal experience, I think you have a much better success rate if you ask for work experience in person. I sent emails and letters out to all the practices on the island that I live on and only had one email in response. However, by turning up you are showing that you're serious and willing to make an effort and they also kinda have to give you an answer on the spot so you aren't kept waiting weeks for an email back.

Best of luck, keep persevering :-)

(I did 4 weeks, 2 weeks and 1 week at three different SA practices)

Hopefully, I’m going to be applying in 2018 and have no experience in a veterinary clinic, though I have done some volunteering with animals (cats, dogs and horses)
Hopefully, I’m going to be applying in 2018 and have no experience in a veterinary clinic, though I have done some volunteering with animals (cats, dogs and horses)

You will need to have at least 2 weeks in a vet practice before you apply.
Original post by sophielophie
I submitted WEPAPA on 22 October and got a confirmation email on 24 October.

What exactly is the WEPAPA form? Are you talking about the questionnaire they send or is it something else? :smile:) Thanks
Has anybody heard from Notts yet?

Is anyone still pending for Surrey?
Original post by akfnweifnwirgn
What exactly is the WEPAPA form? Are you talking about the questionnaire they send or is it something else? :smile:) Thanks

it's the questionnaire - it stands for work experience & personal and professional attributes form :smile:
Original post by GracieVenes
Has anybody heard from Notts yet?

Is anyone still pending for Surrey?

No and yes... Starting to get worried, especially about Surrey

Quick Reply