The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Have you done SM358 Quantum World, SMT359 Electromagnetism or S382 Astrophysics ?

Hi,

I just completed regisering for these modules and all the paperwork, I'm on Natural Science and in my last but one year.

I am looking to speak to someone who has braved these tough modules and could help a fellow student.

Particularly if you have the revision PDF notes, the type similar to the notes posted by tutors on S207 (The Physical World), MST224 and MST210 forum in previous years.

Also if you could post any advice or supplement reading other than whats suggested by the OU.

Kind Regards,
Dave
Reply 1
Anyone?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
hmm
Reply 3
Hi,

I guess you're half way through these courses already, but for anyone thinking about future presentations, I would say that the SM358 and SMT359 books explain things really clearly (haven't done S382, but I expect that one too).

So rather than looking for additional reading, it's probably better to pick up a set of course books second hand, and getting a head start. There is quite a lot to read already, and other books are likely to have other notations or ways of doing things, so add to your work load.
Reply 4
Original post by Moho
Hi,

I guess you're half way through these courses already, but for anyone thinking about future presentations, I would say that the SM358 and SMT359 books explain things really clearly (haven't done S382, but I expect that one too).

So rather than looking for additional reading, it's probably better to pick up a set of course books second hand, and getting a head start. There is quite a lot to read already, and other books are likely to have other notations or ways of doing things, so add to your work load.

I disagree and I've been really disappointed with the books this year. They are great self contained books to pass an exam and assignments, but if you want to do the project module SXP390 you will find it extremely difficult transitioning to reading scientific papers. I've had to buy other books because of the lack of proofs and formalism offered in OU books. Ive realised on its own SM358 is not up to standard for undergraduate 3rd year in quantum mechanics.

Since xmas, I've barely used my OU books and i've bought other textbooks that are recommended.
Reply 5
Original post by Davidswift9
I disagree and I've been really disappointed with the books this year. They are great self contained books to pass an exam and assignments, but if you want to do the project module SXP390 you will find it extremely difficult transitioning to reading scientific papers. I've had to buy other books because of the lack of proofs and formalism offered in OU books. Ive realised on its own SM358 is not up to standard for undergraduate 3rd year in quantum mechanics.

Since xmas, I've barely used my OU books and i've bought other textbooks that are recommended.

I agree about the OU materials. I found them not advanced or clear.

Can you recommend some QM textbooks for independent study?
Which books do you recommend for QM then??
Reply 7
Original post by usernameeeeeee
Which books do you recommend for QM then??

Griffith's intro to QM and the ICMA's were decent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending