i've done 5xy=3x+2y so they both equal 5
don't know what to do now
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AsianG99
Solve simultaneously
xy=1
3x+2y=5

You need to get an equation in one variable in order to solve it. What methods have you been taught to do that?
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
You need to get an equation in one variable in order to solve it. What methods have you been taught to do that?

just updated it
just updated it

Okay, so what you've done is technically correct but it's not really helping you because you've still got an equation in two unknowns, which you can't solve. You need to get down to an equation in one unknown, which you can solve.

I'll give you a clue: try to find an expression for y in terms of x, and substitute it into the other equation.
Reply 4

just solved it
got x=1 and y=1
i did x=0 y=5/2
y=0 x= 5/3

3/5x+2/5y=xy
3/5*5/3= 1 for x
5/2*2/5= 1 for y
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Okay, so what you've done is technically correct but it's not really helping you because you've still got an equation in two unknowns, which you can't solve. You need to get down to an equation in one unknown, which you can solve.

I'll give you a clue: try to find an expression for y in terms of x, and substitute it into the other equation.

Find set of values for k where x^2-kx+k has no real roots
I've done
-k^2 - 4*1*k < 0
so -k^2 -4k < 0

4k < k^2
2k < k

i don't get this question at all
just solved it
got x=1 and y=1
i did x=0 y=5/2
y=0 x= 5/3

3/5x+2/5y=xy
3/5*5/3= 1 for x
5/2*2/5= 1 for y

That's one set of answers, but there are actually two sets of (x,y) that fulfil this equation. Again, I recommend that you find an expression for y in terms of x, substitute it into the other equation, and solve it. I'll do the first couple of steps.

y=1x y = \frac{1}{x}
3x+2(1x)=53x + 2 \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) = 5
3x+2x=53x + \frac{2}{x} = 5
Find set of values for k where x^2-kx+k has no real roots
I've done
-k^2 - 4*1*k < 0
so -k^2 -4k < 0

4k < k^2
2k < k

i don't get this question at all

Firstly, it should be k24k<0k^2 -4k < 0 because (k)2=k2(-k)^2 = k^2. To get further, factorise that quadratic.
Reply 8
That's one set of answers, but there are actually two sets of (x,y) that fulfil this equation. Again, I recommend that you find an expression for y in terms of x, substitute it into the other equation, and solve it. I'll do the first couple of steps.

y=1x y = \frac{1}{x}
3x+2(1x)=53x + 2 \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) = 5
3x+2x=53x + \frac{2}{x} = 5

converted it into a quadratic and got an x value of 2/3
y=1
so they both equal 5
Reply 9
Firstly, it should be k24k<0k^2 -4k < 0 because (k)2=k2(-k)^2 = k^2. To get further, factorise that quadratic.

k< +-2
converted it into a quadratic and got an x value of 2/3
y=1
so they both equal 5

If x = 2/3, y is not equal to 1!
k< +-2

I'm not really sure how you got there... please try factorising the expression. It is the only way you are going to get to an answer.
Reply 12
If x = 2/3, y is not equal to 1!

3x+2y=5
3x=2
2y=3
y=3/2
3x+2y=5
3x=2
2y=3
y=3/2

Yep exactly, or even easier just use the fact that y=1x123=32y = \frac{1}{x} \rightarrow \frac{1}{\frac{2}{3}} = \frac{3}{2}
Reply 14
I'm not really sure how you got there... please try factorising the expression. It is the only way you are going to get to an answer.

crapppp i did d.o.t.s by accident
k(k-4)<0
k<0 or k<4
Reply 15
Yep exactly, or even easier just use the fact that y=1x123=32y = \frac{1}{x} \rightarrow \frac{1}{\frac{2}{3}} = \frac{3}{2}

Thank You!!!!!!
crapppp i did d.o.t.s by accident
k(k-4)<0
k<0 or k<4

Nearly. If the question were k(k4)=0k(k-4) = 0 then you'd be right, k=0,4k = 0, 4. However, we've got the inequality. According to your answer, -1 should fulfil the equation but if you plug -1 into your expression for k, you will see that it's greater than 0 so therefore the constraint k<0 is wrong.

Instead, try sketching the graph of k(k-4) (using the roots you've already found) and find where that is less than 0.
Reply 17
Nearly. If the question were k(k4)=0k(k-4) = 0 then you'd be right, k=0,4k = 0, 4. However, we've got the inequality. According to your answer, -1 should fulfil the equation but if you plug -1 into your expression for k, you will see that it's greater than 0 so therefore the constraint k<0 is wrong.

Instead, try sketching the graph of k(k-4) (using the roots you've already found) and find where that is less than 0.

would it have to be inbetween
0<k<4
would it have to be inbetween
0<k<4

Yep! Well done.
Reply 19
Yep! Well done.

i have 1 last question

Quick Reply

Latest